Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zanchit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2020
I have an iMac 27inch, late 2012, currently running on High Sierra that is very tired and slow despite adding more RAM (currently on 32MB, I think). Thinking of getting new iMac in the new year which will obviously have Big Sur installed. Is there any way I can hook up my 2012 iMac as a second display? (I could upgrade it to Mojave or Catalina)

Also, Apple support told me Big Sur not compatible with Microsoft Word. Is that really true? I have Office 365.

efecanarar

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2015
In Big Sur, you can use Microsoft office. And you can sell your iMac rather than use as second display. You can use it like that with a thunderbolt 2 cable and its adapter. But I can confirm that you will never use a second display with iMac 5k. And you should wait more for new iMacs with arm cpu/gpu

zanchit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2020
In Big Sur, you can use Microsoft office. And you can sell your iMac rather than use as second display. You can use it like that with a thunderbolt 2 cable and its adapter. But I can confirm that you will never use a second display with iMac 5k. And you should wait more for new iMacs with arm cpu/gpu
Thank you so much for that. Had read though that new ARM based iMac with cpu/gpu might not have the ability to add third party RAM, which is bit of a financial issue. Think my old iMac can limp along till that comes out if it's worth waiting for..

zanchit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2020
Ah, so definitely better to wait then? Not sure I understand the GPU/CPU bit v RAM. Will mainly be running Photoshop and Lightroom with the new iMac and tend to have loads of images open at the same time. Current iMac 27 inch (2012) on 32gb ram is giving me the wheel of doom rather a lot. Keen to avoid this!

ader42

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2012
I thought the 5K retina iMac came out in 2014?

And that was the first to not support Target Display Mode?

I know 2011 iMacs can be used as external monitors (target display mode).

So I think you can use a 2012 iMac as an external monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.