Can you view the REAL internet on the iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boonlar, Jun 28, 2009.

1. boonlar macrumors 6502

Is it possible to render pages like you see them on a desktop on the iPhone or do they render as mobile/incorrectly/squashed down?

2. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

yea, and its mail is awesome, that why i am sold on the iPhone.

3. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Pages render just like my laptop. iPhone IMO has the best mobile browsing experience in the business. Truly fantastic.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

some sites are mobile versions (like espn.com), some are the same as the desktop version

there is no flash though on iphone

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, you can see them just like on a desktop.

6. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

i hope Flash does come in during the fall, that would be amazing.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree, at least a toggle if you want it or not

hulu on iphone would be sweet

8. tylertech macrumors regular

Even if you get an iPhone-optimized site, you can almost always switch to view the full site.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

There seems to be a lot of Apple users who don't want flash though. I'd prefer to have it, since many sites you need it.

10. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

why would you not want it?

11. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

how come they don't want it? Battery killer?

maybe an option where if you want it you can use it, and if you do not, then don't worry about it.

12. firewood macrumors 604

I would severely doubt this, as Apple is moving towards more standards compliant animation and video protocols (HTML5, etc.) instead. No Flash.

13. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

If it does load the mobile site scroll to the bottom and hit desktop version. Also Hulu app is almost ready. They say it is "badass"

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I have no idea why some Apple people don't want it. Apple snobs?? :D

15. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

No, more due to Adobe's inability to deliver a decent flash experience for anything other than Windows.

16. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

The website will appear as it does on the desktop unless the web page performs browser inspection, in which case you will probably get re-directed the mobile optimized version of a site.

There is little you can do about this in this case. You would have to hack your iPhone presented a different browser, or none at all

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

How do you know it won't be decent, if you don't even have it on an Apple comouter?

18. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

No, the iPhone loads a fake internet, but it is so realistic that it is hard to believe that it is not the real internet. :D

(Actually, the iPhone does load pages pretty close to what it would look like on a desktop browser. Except for flash pages, as was mentioned above.)

19. mrmike316 macrumors regular

20. milani macrumors 68000

milani

A website loading as a mobile version has nothing to do with the iPhone and everything to do with the website. To answer your question as simply as possible: yes. Flash and other crap like that isn't the real internet, by definition, so it really has no place on a mobile device anyway.

21. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

App Store Killer. If flash comes out, people will just play games web based flash games. No more apps bought from App store.

22. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I would say this is a pretty narrow assessment. There is flash for computers, and many flash games for computers, but the non-flash PC gaming industry hasn't died.

23. t22design macrumors regular

http://xkcd.com/484/

24. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

The renderer is the same as desktop safari, same codebase "WebKit" so it will render the same way (though there are no java or flash plugins so that could affect some sites)

There is an issue with some sites looking at the user agent string the browser sends and sending mobile formatted pages instead of the full one and sometimes that's very irritating. Sometimes it's very nice (when the site is especially made for the iPhone it's often better than the original desktop site in terms of usability, even if you weren't on the iPhone lmao)

So basically, the rendering is fantastic and nothing like sh**ty wap browsing you're probably thinking of.

25. aethelbert macrumors 601

Flash on Mac OS has always sucked and will most likely continue to do so for some time. If a current generation mac has hardware trouble using flash, I'd imagine that a much less powerful phone running on the same OS base would make the experience even worse.