Can Your Apple Watch Do This?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by blairh, Sep 19, 2015.

1. blairh, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015

blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Look closely at the gold Apple Watch in this ad. It shows it being asked to play 'Let It Happen' by Tame Impala.

Well not only does my Apple Watch not play individual songs when I ask it to (I am not subscribed to Apple Music) but it cannot understand when I ask it the very same prompt in this ad. (Yes I have this album on my iPhone.) It will always come out as 'Tame Paula' or something along those lines.

So, can you get it to work (if you own this album that is). Also will 2.0 allow us non-Apple Music subscribers to ask our Watch to play a song?

EDIT: It now works with the 2.0 update.

[​IMG]

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I don't have that album, but I tried it with another song that is not synced to my Apple Watch and it worked.

3. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

I do subscribe to Apple Music, but I can use Siri to play a single song, both in my collection, and not in my collection, through Apple Music. I am using 2.0

4. playaproved macrumors 6502

I use Siri to play music all of the time. Works like a charm.

5. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Are you subscribed to Apple Music?

6. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Do you request individual songs? And are you subscribed to Apple Music?

7. Thepixelsedge macrumors regular

Works flawlessly for me and yes I am subscribed to apple music.

8. Böhme417 macrumors 6502

I am subscribed to apple music, and it worked for me.

"Play let it happen by tame impala."

Song plays on iPhone.

9. prezasti, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015

prezasti macrumors 6502

prezasti

I'm not subscribed to apple music, but I ask siri on my watch to play a specific song and it finds the song in my music library (this includes my iCloud library not on my phone) no problem. I just say, "Hey Siri, play "XYZ" and the song starts shortly after. I use this feature all the time when I'm at home.

I can either say an artists name, album name or song. It is very accurate.

I'm running watchOS 1.0.1 with iOS 9.1 PB.

10. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

11. prezasti macrumors 6502

prezasti

I feel like the watch version of Siri is smarter than the phone version, even thought thats probably not the case. Many times when I ask siri on my phone to play something, I get questions back or it plays something else. The watch Siri is always correct when working with music selection. You can even switch songs in the middle of a song thats playing if you change your mind.

I hope a future update of Siri allows you to control the volume without switching to the music controls on the watch.

12. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Yep.

13. playaproved macrumors 6502

Yes to both.

14. daijholt macrumors 6502a

daijholt

Success.

Attached Files:

15. nicho macrumors 68000

i have a similar problem (although less so because I am subscribed to apple music) in that, when I ask it to play certain songs that I have downloaded to my iphone and are available offline... it will try to play a different version of the same song and stream it straight from apple music. annoying.

16. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Via your Apple Watch?

The issue is that if you are not subscribed to Apple Music, you can't pull up individual songs via the Apple Watch.

17. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Are you subscribed to Apple Music? If not I don't believe it will work.

18. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

This has never worked for me since owning the Apple Watch. It will never pull up a song stored on my iPhone.

19. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

I believe it only works if you are subscribed to Apple Music.

20. prezasti macrumors 6502

prezasti

I looked online (Google) and people are reporting in the apple.com forums about a bug that changed this option on their watch to only work again when signing up for the Apple Music Trial and some claim it never worked to begin with.

This is the quote from iosguides.net on the easiest way to play music with Siri on the apple watch:

"Ask Siri to play a song
    The easiest way to play a song on Apple Watch is to ask Siri to start playing it. Just lift your Apple Watch and say “Hey Siri, play Hold Back The River,” or “Hey Siri, play music by James Bay,” and Siri will automatically start playing music that’s either on your iPhone or stored locally on Apple Watch."

They put this appleOS guide out on April 22, 2015, so it was an option from the beginning. My guess is you have been plagued with the bug since day one?

21. Böhme417 macrumors 6502

I tried it again with a song stored locally on my phone, and it worked.

22. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Correct on all fronts.

23. ifarlow macrumors regular

ifarlow

I had never done this in the past and am not subscribed to Apple Music. Nevertheless, I just asked Siri to play music by Linkin Park and it worked. It took a few seconds for the music to start, but it worked. However, when I asked Siri to play a specific song by Linkin Park, it failed.

24. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Exactly. My Watch will play an album if I ask it to or music by and artist. But it will not fire up a specific song and it should be able to.

25. prezasti macrumors 6502

prezasti

Try it again when you get watchOS 2.0 installed. My friends that were getting the same results as you can now play any song just by saying "Hey Siri play XYZ" They aren't signed up for Apple Music.