Can your iPhone be hacked with only using your cell phone number?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by determined09, Mar 13, 2014.

1. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

Hello Everyone,

I gave someone my cell phone number a few weeks back. At the time, my cell phone was at the apple store getting the battery replaced with a new one. I do have a password on my iphone 5. But I was just wondering if someone could hack into my cell phone by only knowing just my cell phone number? :eek::confused:

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

Okay

4. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Lol paranoid much? They could send you a text that somehow has a virus but that's extremely unlikely to happen, if it was possible peoples phones would be getting messed up all over the place, and I doubt apple would give the parser power to execute code anyway haha.

Now that used to be possible is if someone put your number into one of those music ringtone services, lol I hated it when one of those ended up on my phone!! You'd get stuck with a $20 a month subscription to some crap and the carrier would never believe that no you didn't sign up haha

5. determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

yes I've had some really tough things happened to me as a young child and as an adult. A friend of mine's had mentioned it to me during a conversation one day. I had told her that I had met a guy from France in the mall. He and i kept running into each other. i was at the mall to have the battery in my iPhone 5 replaced. But I was early for my appointment so I went to bath and body works and brought a few items. This was the first place that me and the French guy were in the same store.( I didn't realize this until later) Then I went over to the apple store and dropped my phone off with them. The Genius Bar said it would be about a hour to replaced my phone and he suggested that I go walk around the mall. So I did. Btw I had my MacBook Pro from 2009 in a sleeve in my bag on my shoulder and my back which was killing me.i don't take out in public. Bcos it's a liability.Only a few people know I own it. So I decide to get a Starbucks drink but the line was so long. So I just looked for a place to sit. While looking for a placed sit, I noticed that a guy was looking at me. So I acted as if I didn't notice him and found a seat. Then he walks close by where I was sitting and he weaves at me and points at his bath and body works bag and kept walking. Then I walk the mall some more then I sat down did some people watching for about 20 minutes. And you guessed it here came the French man again. I saw him and he saw me. So I just flat out asked him " you wouldn't be following me now would you with a smile ?" He smiles and comes over and starts talking to me and tells me that he will be moving to the states in a few months due to work. He complimented that I was so friendly. He asked me IF I would go get a drink with him. I said that I didn't need drink. I'm fine. He told me that he was from Paris. Then he ask me if I've ever been there and I told him no. Then he saying maybe I can invite you to my country and show me around the Paris. He told that i should go there. I said no thank you. I told him That I'll get to Paris one day. He asked me for my phone number. So I gave to him. But I didn't have my cell to take down his number and name. So he says " you should need to have your cell phone with you. I said yes I know but it's being worked on now. Then Sorry. We shaked hands and he went his way and I finally went back to the apple and got my iPhone back. Maybe you're right. Maybe I'm being paranoid.

6. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Don't worry, it's just not gonna happen, if he calls you, just block his number, you can now do that with iOS 7

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

No. Including if they work for the NSA. They can't hack _into_ your phone. But there are things that have nothing to do with "hacking into your phone".

What someone can do with your phone number is making nuisance calls. If they have connections to your phone company, they can find out where the phone is when it is turned on or used, and they can find out what phone calls were made. Police with a warrant can get that information.

A few years when my car broke down and I called the RAC for help, they asked for my permission to access the location of my phone. (I wonder how many people they get that are so paranoid to refuse permission while at the same time wanting them to come to their car to fix it).

----------

Wouldn't the ringtone scammers hire someone to try out random mobile phone numbers and sign everyone up with a working phone number?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. ricktat macrumors 65816

I had a French guy that worked for me. People complained that he was creepy. He made people feel uncomfortable the way he would follow them around and give them looks.

He didn't mean anything from it. He just acted that way. He was actually very normal and I knew him for years. He just didn't know how to check someone out without being the creeper.

So from my limited experience I would call him a normal French guy checking you out.

10. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Dude, I'm french and what you're saying is BS, he wasn't acting this way 'cause he was french, he was simply a creepy weird guy that happened to be french.

11. determined09, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014

determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

Hahaha!!!
    No. He wasn't upset when I said no to going to paris and no to getting a drink with him. In terms of looks, he's not hard on the eyes and has a little French accent.He told me when he would be back in the States in a few months, what company he works for and the position that he has and what area of the city that he will stay in.

12. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

I almost didn't read this thread, but I'm glad I did. By all reckoning from your end of the encounter, the guy was flirting with you. I remember as a teen and young adult how hard it was for me to realize when someone was flirting with me. My excuse was low self esteem and sub par social intelligence. I just wasn't reading social situations accurately. I hope you can relax knowing the guy isn't eavesdropping on your calls. That's not to say his intentions were necessarily all good. If he was making you nervous, there could very well have been good cause. Stay sharp!

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I can't believe I read that entire "paragraph" but I think the guy was just flirting with you and doesn't have intentions of going back to Paris to hack into your phone. It sounds like many situations are tough for you; lines at Starbucks, carrying a laptop in public, finding a place to sit in comfort. I think you may be slightly over paranoid. Good luck with your new French friend.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Some chicks melt when it comes to a guy with a French accent I heard.
    To me it sounds annoying. I dig UK accents better:)

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

lol me too. I guess I waiting for more of a climax, but as I started to get closer to the end I knew I was going to be let down :(

16. ricktat macrumors 65816

Yes I know.... More of an inside joke because of everyone blaming my friend of being creepy... and saying it was because he was French:D

Creepy isn't a normal French stereotype.

17. determined09, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014

determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

If I really wanted that Starbucks drink I would have stood in line for it even with that 2009 Mac book Pro laptop. I've been having trouble with my back lately. Yes sometimes I'm a little overly paranoid. I'll try to correct that ASAP
    Okay. I'll try to lighten up a bit. Thanks. I'll try to do my best with the French guy.

----------

Sorry

----------

You're right the uk accents are better. He seems to have a easy going personality too which was refreshing. My ex boyfriend was a control people.

18. Idefix macrumors 6502

Creepy is creepy regardless of nationality. And people can put on a French accent pretty easily--doesn't mean they're French. Life stories told in a mall don't mean anything either, unless you hire a PI to do a background check.

Trust your intuition and stay away from whatever creeps you out.

19. determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

Okay thank you

20. determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

oh I see.My friend at the ever end of the conversation my friend also mentioned that he may just be checking me out. She said just to be cafe.

21. determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

Thank you for responding. My parents worked shift work while I was growing up and I stayed at home alone most of time. In addition, both of my parents were very critical of me when I would make mistakes and they still are to this day. But I just ignore them in that area. During the holidays when I was forced to be around my cousins, who weren't very nice to me most of the time. I was a nerd as a child. it's only recently in the last two years that I've been trying to date and make some more friends. But most of the time my focus is on work and taking take care of sick parent and school, Which doesn't leave much time for socializing. I do have a touch of social anxiety, also.

22. determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

I'm still looking for the French guy. Hopefully I'll run into him sometime soon. :) I'm pretty his doesn't mean any harm.

Thanks for the insight.

23. karro macrumors newbie

remote hacking

If you all research the correct information you will find that it is possible to those who know what they're doing. Google this article Build Up Your Phone’s Defenses Against Hackers, or phone scanner, wiretapping mobile phones. It is possible. It's happened to me. Best thing, reset your phone, change your SIM and number or get a new phone and do not spend time near the person you suspect is doing it. OR keep your phone and battery off.