Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philMBP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
I apologize If I've missed this elsewhere.

Like many others I am sure, I am not due for a hardware upgrade from Rogers for a while. Actually, not until the end of October.
Does this mean no iPhone for me... unless of course I buy a new account, which I don't want to do since I want to keep my number.

I called Rogers and the rep said that he wouldn't know if I could still get the iPhone until at least the 11th! man... talk about last minute.

Does anyone have the lowdown on this?

Pandora01

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
Toronto

Like many others I am sure, I am not due for a hardware upgrade from Rogers for a while. Actually, not until the end of October.
Does this mean no iPhone for me... unless of course I buy a new account, which I don't want to do since I want to keep my number.

I called Rogers and the rep said that he wouldn't know if I could still get the iPhone until at least the 11th! man... talk about last minute.

Does anyone have the lowdown on this?

My guess is that because you are not eligible for an upgrade in the first place, they would make you sign an entirely new contract. Someone will correct me if they have more accurate information.

Even if you were eligible for an upgrade, I'm not 100% sure you can get the iPhone as a straight upgrade at all on your current contract. It is my understanding so far that the iPhone is only available if you sign a brand-new three-year contract. Like you, I am getting no reliable info from Rogers. Suprise, surprise. I'm just going to go to the store on the 11th and find out the real deal. If I can't get it as a straight up upgrade or on a voice-only plan very similar to the one I have now, I am not getting it at all.

igglepuff

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
My guess is that because you are not eligible for an upgrade in the first place, they would make you sign an entirely new contract. Someone will correct me if they have more accurate information.

Even if you were eligible for an upgrade, I'm not 100% sure you can get the iPhone as a straight upgrade at all on your current contract. It is my understanding so far that the iPhone is only available if you sign a brand-new three-year contract. Like you, I am getting no reliable info from Rogers. Suprise, surprise. I'm just going to go to the store on the 11th and find out the real deal. If I can't get it as a straight up upgrade or on a voice-only plan very similar to the one I have now, I am not getting it at all.

i believe you can get it with yrou current plan if its over a certian price, however, the price of hte phone shoots up and they maek your current plan renew for 3yr term

i coudl be wrong..

yymca6

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
Montréal QC
I was told at the Rogers store downtown Montréal that if you are not eligible for phone upgrade you will pay more for your phone. I check a few minutes with a Rogrs rep over the phone and I was told there was a $25 charge EVEN if I was fully eligible for the upgrade...
No matter what we do they will still rip us off!;)

James Howlett

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2008
Abbotsford
I called Rogers today and they told me that even though I'm eligible for my upgrade, it will cost more than the $199 for the 8gb and $299 for the 16gb. does that sound right, How much could i expect to pay for the first year and a half of my 3 year contract.

abz786

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2007
Alberta, Canada
i went to a rogers store today
and i am eligible for a hardware upgrade and was told to add $100 to any 3yr contract price that was advertised

so e.g blackberry pearl for 49.99 on a three year contract, i would pay $149.99

honestly i am willing to sign a new 3 yr contract with rogers and get the new iphone 16gb 3g but what i am confused about is:

1. the launch time, what time is it going to be cause no one knows!!!!!
2. on the rogers site it says i can carry over an existing plan and use it with the iphone, is that possible even though i am signing up a new contract???

jbll

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
Today, someone at the Rogers store, told me that because i only have a one year contract with them, i would not be eligible for an upgrade, even if a pay the 200$..... They said, that i would have to buy the phone unsubsidized, which they don't know the price...

The Rogers Rep, also told me that current Rogers customers, would have to wait, at least 2 weeks, before being able to buy an iPhone.... :mad:

abz786

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2007
Alberta, Canada
thats a complete lie
i saw a rogers store manager access my upgrade chart
and i saw the upgrade charge for the 16gb iphone
its $349.99 for me plus a $35 activation fee - $50 Mail in Rebate Credit

all charges reflected on my monthly bill, no cash or payment at the store
so in that sense rogers is making it good
but trust me i am serious bout buying this phone and have and still am doing my research to make sure i get the phone and a good plan

i also corrected this manager, how on the rogers site under the plans chart it says u don't have to use a data plan with the iphone but it is recommended, the guy told me they aren't going to sell the phone without a data plan, then i told him to go read the site, then afterwards he said well if i see u friday ill sell it to u :) so in otherwords i was RIGHT!!! TRUST ME PPL!!!

jbll

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
thats a complete lie
i saw a rogers store manager access my upgrade chart
and i saw the upgrade charge for the 16gb iphone
its $349.99 for me plus a $35 activation fee - $50 Mail in Rebate Credit

all charges reflected on my monthly bill, no cash or payment at the store
so in that sense rogers is making it good
but trust me i am serious bout buying this phone and have and still am doing my research to make sure i get the phone and a good plan

i also corrected this manager, how on the rogers site under the plans chart it says u don't have to use a data plan with the iphone but it is recommended, the guy told me they aren't going to sell the phone without a data plan, then i told him to go read the site, then afterwards he said well if i see u friday ill sell it to u :) so in otherwords i was RIGHT!!! TRUST ME PPL!!!

Since how long have you been with Rogers?

They said i was no eligible, cause i've only sign for a one year contract, that will end on october 08 and because i wasn't a Rogers customer before...

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006

I'd think that with number portability mandated by federal law, you should be able to port your existing number over to the new account, even if your worst expectations turn out to be true.

I think it would be to Rogers' benefit to offer the option of purchasing an unsubsidized iPhone outright without being tied to a contract, even if they do feel the need to simlock it. It's not like they're in any danger of having phone purchasers taking their new iPhone over to any of Rogers' Canadian GSM competitors. :p

its $349.99 for me plus a $35 activation fee
If true, that amounts to nothing more than a ridiculous cash grab by Rogers - attempting to make the retail price of the phone appear lower than it really is. (It wouldn't be much of a stretch to believe that of a Canadian cell phone provider though. Remember system access fees?)

It's the SIM that has to be activated, not the phone itself. If you're already on a contract, then your SIM has already been activated.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
As is my understanding you have to be on an existing 3 year contract for at least one year before you are eligible for an upgrade. This is so they can recoup the money they 'lost' in subsidizing your previous phone. For me, it was a Motorola Qh which I signed on for in December, much to my shagrim now that the iPhone is out.

So I'm going to call up Rogers a couple more times, go to a store and beg a little too, because I want this phone! My current plan is $56 (not including fees etc), and I only get 4mb per month. If I spend $60, I get 100 times that amount of data! I'll save myself a ton of money each month by not blowing my data by sending emails. I'll stick to a wireless signal to do anything big on the phone.

I just wish Rogers used a rule of thumb - it seems like you hear a different story every time when you call up and speak to a rep - which is why I keep pestering them about it!

idesign245

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I called Rogers up today to see if I'd be able to upgrade. I last upgraded my phone in November and she told me that I'd have to wait until 12 months into my contract to be able to upgrade. She couldn't tell me how much I'd be paying to upgrade because they "wouldn't know the pricing until the phone is released".

I also asked about my moms phone because she is able to upgrade (but still under contract) and she couldn't tell me the pricing for that either.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Here are the upgrade details posted by HowEver on the ehmac.ca forums:

iPhone FAQ's
I hate the 4 generic iPhone plans on the website , can I pick another plan?

Yes. You can pick:
any voice plan with no data added on
any voice plan and add on a data package shown here
any data plan with voice @ $1.00/min (will probably not meet promo requirement though - so no $50 bill credit - read below)

What are the Pricing and Promotional Requirements? (New Activations)

In order to the the promotional pricing of $199(8gb) and $299(16GB). You need to meet the promotional requirements - just like any other smartphone.

The Promotional Requirement for the iPhone is that u need to have a base price plan (MSF) of MORE THAN $30 (so basically $35 base or more) to get that pricing.

Example: 35 Mega Incoming + 6.95 + 0.50 = met requirement
Example: 25 Mega Incoming + 6.95 + 0.50 + 100 US add on mins = does not meet requirement

Keep in mind: Unlike other smartphones, the promotional requirement has nothing to do with data services. Having a data plan or not, it wont affect the pricing of the iPhone.

I walk into the store, and activate a new line, what are they going to charge me?

If you meet the promotional requirements stated above:
8GB = 249-50 Bill Credit = 199 +35 Admin
16GB = 349-50 Bill Credit = 299 +35 Admin

If you don't meet the requirements:
8GB = 249 + 35 Admin
16GB = 349 + 35 Admin

When am I going to get my bill credit?

Within 8 Weeks - Probably your 2nd invoice

How about doing an upgrade to the iPhone on my existing line?

The same $50 bill credit is available when a customer gets an iPhone via the HUP program, as long as their price plan has an MSF of more than $30 (basically $35 or more) and is setup on a minimum 3yr term. Unlike all other phones in the HUP program - there is no mail in rebate involved

So, if the cx's MSF is $35 or more and they resign a 3yr commitment, the HUP pricing will be as follows:

8GB
HUP Tier 1: 349+35Admin +tax - 50 bill credit
HUP Tier 2: 324+35Admin +tax - 50 bill credit
HUP Tier 3: 249+35Admin +tax - 50 bill credit
HUP Tier 4: 249+NOAdmin +tax - 50 bill credit
HUP Tier 5: 224+NOAdmin +tax - 50 bill credit

16GB
HUP Tier 1: 449+35Admin +tax - 50 bill credit
HUP Tier 2: 424+35Admin +tax - 50 bill credit
HUP Tier 3: 349+35Admin +tax - 50 bill credit
HUP Tier 4: 349+NOAdmin +tax - 50 bill credit
HUP Tier 5: 324+NOAdmin +tax - 50 bill credit

*if you don't meet promotional requirements prior to upgrading to the iPhone - you will not get the the $50 bill credit

Cx can find out what tier your in by calling in (tiers based on revenue generated on account since last HUP).

Note: In order to be eligible for the HUP program, 1yr needs to pass since your last HUP or acivation. (You aren't eligible for the iPhone is you got a BB Curve 6 months ago - even if u pay 5000000 a month)

What if I try and cheat the system and 2 months down the line I downgrade my voice plan?

If in the 3yr term you decide to downgrade your plan with a msf lower than $35, we will ask for the $50 dollars credit back. The system will display a pop-up when the rep is processing the change. We are smart!

Ok now the iPhone has this nifty feature called Visual Voicemail (VVM) can I get that feature added on to any voice plan I choose?

Yes. It is an $8 dollar feature. And it doesn't require a data plan - in Canada Rogers will not charge you data to access VVM. One thing to keep in mind: If u have regular VM on the account (say built-in to a value pack) it would need to be excluded from the pack prior to adding it on (cx care can do this). Alternatively you can add on the iPhone value packs onto any voice plan - and then add on the VVM onto that.

example: 35 Incoming + 50 Flex Data + 8VVM + $15 iPhone Value Pack = OK!
example: 35 Incoming + 50 Flex Data + 8VVM + $11 Value Pack = NO!
example: 35 Incoming + 8VVM + $11 Value Pack with regular VM excluded = OK!

Can I get the Unlimited Data Promotion for 3 months?

If you choose the one of the iPhone plans then no, you can not get unlimited for 3 months.

If you're creating your own plan you need to add one of these data plans [ignore the WM title] and sign up for a 3yr data term. This means you need to keep a data plan (upgrading and downgrading is fine) for 3 years. If you removed the data add-on within the 3 yrs - you will be charged $5/month for the remaining months left in the data term to a minimum of $25 and a maximum of $100 (this is called a DECF).

Example:
Month 1: gets a 3yr data plan with 3 months unlimited: chooses $15/2mb plan
Month 2: pays $15 for unlimited
Month 3: pays $15 for unlimited
Month 4: Changes to $50 flex plan - keeps same data commitment NO DECF
Month 6: Downgrades back to $15/2mb plan - cause... you lost your mind - keeps same data commitment NO DECF
Month 7: looks at bill - $5005003832059 in charges gets mad at rogers and removes data all together: DECF = $100

Return Policy?

Same as all other phones: 30day/30min whichever comes first. Stores may have different policy - ask prior to buying

What's this we are hearing about the iPhone needing unbricking if you change SIMs? Can that be done at home with iTunes?

Unbricking the iPhone can be done at the store or at home. Initially - because the iPhone is only available at stores - all unbricking will be done at the store.

If you need to switch sims after the initial setup at the store - you might need to unbrick the phone via the same itunes the phone was first registered to. (you register to iTunes as soon as you get home from the store)

This is so that if someone steals your iPhone - they can't use their sim unless they steal your computer too!

Do I have to sign a commitment to get the iPhone? Will there be a no-contract price?

On July 11th, you will need to sign a 3yr commitment in order to get the iphone. There will be no no-contract pricing available on July 11th. Rogers will announce a no-contract price AFTER the launch date. No other information available as of yet

It's authenticity hasn't been confirmed, but it looks very real to me.

idesign245

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
How do you know what HUP tier you are?

Also... does anyone know if Rogers will let you disable the data so you can only access the internet via wireless?

taran420

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2008
Toronto, Canada
i called them today..i should have an upgrade since i have not taken an any phone. i recently signed a two year contract without getting a phone. i told her today that if i extend that to three years, then what will it cost me. and this is the response

16GB = $450 +$35 activation fee + tax - $50 tax in rebate = $548.05 in store price - $50 = $498.05

and this with me being eligible for a phone upgrade....lol....wow.....and it was supposed to be $300

philMBP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
i called them today..i should have an upgrade since i have not taken an any phone. i recently signed a two year contract without getting a phone. i told her today that if i extend that to three years, then what will it cost me. and this is the response

16GB = $450 +$35 activation fee + tax - $50 tax in rebate = $548.05 in store price - $50 = $498.05

and this with me being eligible for a phone upgrade....lol....wow.....and it was supposed to be $300

Not to be rude, but this thread is about those of us that don't qualify for hardware upgrades.

So does anyone have an official word? I called Rogers today and spoke to three different services lines and got three different answers.
One supervisor said that early upgrades might be possible, but that she wouldn't know until the 11th.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I think I might cry

So I just had a lengthy phone call with Rogers and their various departments.

My plan was to pay the cancellation fee on my current plan seeing a I wasn't eligible for the hardware upgrade, and then just get a new activation. So I called Rogers and went to the following departments in order:

Upgrades
Retentions Department
Consolidated Billing

I was getting more and more hope full of making a 'deal' until I spoke to the last guy. Basically he said that I would end up paying the maximum ECF of $400 on my plan (started in December '07), and then would have to make a new plan with a new number. $600! Too much. But I was really hoping for that 6gb plan!

I asked him what he is telling all the other people in Rogers world that want to upgrade early on their current contracts:

"We treat a phone like a phone. If it's a black, featureless little phone or some crazy phone from the world of tomorrow, you are still in a contract and you can't break that contract".

Crazy guy. The iPhone is a crazy phone from the world of tomorrow! Rogers have to treat this differently for new and current customers. This is the best product that they have gotten their hands on.

Dany L

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Rogers CS know absolutly nothing !!!

I went to a Rogers Plus store yesterday, and ask them about the new data plan (6Gb for 30$) they knew nothing about it... He looked very surprised.

Then, today, I called Rogers (611) and ask them again about the plan... to my surprise, the guy knew nothing about it. And told me that the only way I can get an iPhone is subscribe to a specific iPhone plan (?!?)

After 2 minutes in the conversation, he seems a little pissed off, and told me that nobody tell him nothing... what about a good customer service.

Cant wait to see the chaos in the Rogers store tomorrow!

Planet Telex

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
12 hours before launch and calling rogers gives you no info.

I'm not upgrade eligible for 3 months and they can't tell me if i can buy it or what the price will be. They direct you to the website, which doesn't have any answers.

With the rumors that stores will only have single digits, it will still probably take them hours to sell because no one in this organization has any clue what will be going on tomorrow. How incompetent are the decision makers at Rogers?

Shackler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
behind you!
Here are the upgrade details posted by HowEver on the ehmac.ca forums:

It's authenticity hasn't been confirmed, but it looks very real to me.

Do you have a link or any confirmation yet. because if this is true i will be getting a new iphone after all

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Well, this morning it's $500 to cancel my contract. So I have to wait until December 18th, to get an iPhone on a crappy 400mb plan. The retentions guy wasn't very helpful to me.

OR - I could buy an iPhone for their retail price - $899 for the 16gb!!!

But, it's a different story every time with Rogers, nothing seems to be set in stone.

I think I'll give up now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.