Canadian iPad Pro Prices =Pretty Insane

bounou

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
I feel for the folks up north. However, look at it from the business perspective. While I don't think it's fair for the Canadians that everything skyrockets in price with no wage increase, it'd be equally unfair to expect Apple to lower prices in Canada just because of that fact.

Also, I doubt anyone would complain if it was a small mom and pop store based in the US. It'd be unreasonable to expect a small shop to cut its prices out of good will for Canadians. The business wouldn't survive doing that. But because Apple is so large and rich, they should cut prices right?

If the situation was reversed, and America saw a USD decline, then everyone would be calling out us Americans for being selfish crybabies. "Murica!!" I think is what one European said in a thread a couple days ago?
Just for fun, go to bestbuy.ca and then bestbuy.com and compare prices for similar items.

I think you will come to the conclusion that most (not all) products do not have as steep a price increase.

The iPad pro I want to order is 32% more expensive in CAD, I ordered a new roomba 980 and the new Sonos Play 5 and both respectively are 22% and 10% more expensive.

Increasing the price this much is a choice, I would be very surprised if they are not making higher profits on the iPad Pro's sold in Canada then the ones in the US.

And I'm still buying it, so obviously I'm ok with it because I can afford it but simply put many people will not be able to, I mean a 1600$+ tablet with taxes is pretty crazy any way you cut it.

It honestly pisses me off, feels like they are taking advantage of a situation that they simply do not have to, the profit margins on Apple products are very healthy they do not need to do this.

But again what do I know, I dint have access to their books so impossible to know for sure.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Vote with your wallet and don't buy it. Of course the problem here is you know millions of people aren't going to do that and so Apple will continue to price high and you will still want these things. Too bad.

Who manages your finances, you or Apple?

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
Welcome to the club! Veteran members include; mainland Europe, the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil and more.

We all suffer together.

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
If that was the only fact, then we should have here (in europe) really low prices:
- No apple stores (or warehouses) here
- retailers sell and store all (or apple netstore in another country though)
- retailers are the one who gives you the support in person (no costs)
- no apple customer service point (only phone support, very low costs)
- no applecare protection plans for iphone for example. "If you break it, you pay it" (no extra costs for apple during "accidental damage plans", scrathes,dents or whatever.)

Pretty low costs for apple to sell their stuff here, they just need to translate their websites and no difficult customers changing their devices on everyday for whatever reason or mood they have and making appointments with genius. Still the prizes are the same or higher while they should be much lower if "the cost of doing business in each country" is calculated in an equation as the main point of prizes.

It is more or less but rest of the world is paying that a customer can have his appointments with genius, destroy his phones and getting a new one, changing his mind on the next day and change his device to another... If the prizes would have set as "... doing a business in each country...", i bet that usa would be on the top with the costs of doing business and the prizes would be quite differend than they are now.
Actually, the EU warranty requirements are vastly more generous than in the US and probably contribute significantly to EU:US price differences.

It all depends on how you analyze the prices.... when US and Cdn $ were in parity a couple of years back, Apple cross-border prices were much closer... since then, most wages in Canada have not increased (like mine, for example) yet the price of Apple products as skyrocketed.. so its a bigger %age of my wage, if that makes sense.
It does make sense, but the price differences are based on exchange rates, not what's happening to wages (which in many parts of the US economy is the same as what you've described).

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Exchange rates plus the cost of shipping etc all being factored in. Its probably roughly the same cost as the US when all things are considered.

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
There are good points here. Apple (from what I can remember) has traditionally followed the currency rate when pricing items. But with this situation it does sting quite a bit. Even adjusting incomes for small growth / inflation, the drastic increase in Apple products must be shocking to many people.

I noticed that last year, when the iPhone 6 launched - it relatively more expensive than the iPhone 5s the year before, coupled with the change in carrier subsidies moving to 2 years, the cheapest 'on contract' iPhone went from traditional $199 to nearly $400 (even crazier looking subsidized price if you wanted to bump the storage or go to the Plus model).

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Just to be clear (again), I'm not complaining about the prices (or Apple) in any way (I understand the theory of why the prices are what they are), just pointing out that they are a shock to the system even though I was expecting them to be obviously higher than the US. seeing that $1,049 (+taxes) as the base model price for a tablet plus another $400 or so for the keyboard cover and Pencil.. its just a lot, that's all. IMO unless you want to go all-in on the Pencil and keyboard, there's little point in the Pro (which is why I sold my mint condition Air 2 last week).

Reactions: profets

appledefenceforce

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2015
I like the idea and the execution of the iPad Pro but it is just too damn expensive. Coupled with the fact that the US dollar is strong at the moment makes it very unaffordable.

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
Just to be clear (again), I'm not complaining about the prices (or Apple) in any way (I understand the theory of why the prices are what they are), just pointing out that they are a shock to the system even though I was expecting them to be obviously higher than the US. seeing that $1,049 (+taxes) as the base model price for a tablet plus another $400 or so for the keyboard cover and Pencil.. its just a lot, that's all. IMO unless you want to go all-in on the Pencil and keyboard, there's little point in the Pro (which is why I sold my mint condition Air 2 last week).
I agree. It's almost like the opposite of the positive surprise when the original iPad was announced at $499. Suddenly we're back in Macbook pricing if you go all in with a keyboard and pencil.

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
Actually just looking at other iPad prices - the mini and the Air all have a currency exchange rate at 10%.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
If iPad Pro uses exchange rate of 10%, I am sold.

Or, I will vote with my wallet and not buy it like I did with iPhone 6S.

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Currently it would cost $132.56 Canadian to buy $100 U.S. dollars. With that rate, a $799 iPad Pro would cost $1059.43 Canadian. Apple is charging $1049 Cdn. So at least for the base model, Apple is just reflecting the exchange rate as it currently stands. Would be great if they gave Canadians a better deal and kept it under $1000 for the base model, but at least they are not ripping us off as badly as many other countries.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
As a Canadian I find it baffling how Canadians seem to always feel like they are getting the short end of the stick on pricing. If we want a stronger economy and currency we need to lobby the government break up all the oligopolies in our country like the banks, telcos, cable companies etc. Canada is a anticompetitive place comparatively to the United States. Apple prices usually always reflect the US$ price of their product converted at the current f/x rate plus whatever other costs they bear to bring a product to market in a particular country. Finally, it seems like a moot point to say that the prices are a 'shock to the system' if you already understand the underlying dynamics of why that is.

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
There are good points here. Apple (from what I can remember) has traditionally followed the currency rate when pricing items. But with this situation it does sting quite a bit. Even adjusting incomes for small growth / inflation, the drastic increase in Apple products must be shocking to many people.

I noticed that last year, when the iPhone 6 launched - it relatively more expensive than the iPhone 5s the year before, coupled with the change in carrier subsidies moving to 2 years, the cheapest 'on contract' iPhone went from traditional $199 to nearly $400 (even crazier looking subsidized price if you wanted to bump the storage or go to the Plus model).
Just for clarity, though, the same thing is true for many US households.

Vote for Bernie Sanders??? ;)

cipher29

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
So, $2000 by the time I get a 128GB Wifi Model with a keyboard + pencil + case and AppleCare? Yeah, GTFO ..

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
I guess in-store pickup isn't available when you order online in Canada? I never saw an option for it. Mine ships tomorrow for Monday delivery (but I'm hoping for earlier)
Noticed that as well. I wonder if stores will have them in person, quite curious to see this thing.

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I guess in-store pickup isn't available when you order online in Canada? I never saw an option for it. Mine ships tomorrow for Monday delivery (but I'm hoping for earlier)
Exactly the same here... already "Preparing for Shipment" so i'm hoping to receive it by Friday.... no instore pickup option here either.

tr3lo9y

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2010
Exactly the same here... already "Preparing for Shipment" so i'm hoping to receive it by Friday.... no instore pickup option here either.
Same here. First time ordering a launch product online and Monday is a bit of a stretch since its coming out in stores this week. Anybody wondering or have idea if there's a chance to receive a new item earlier than estimated delivery date?

timcrook

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2015
went to the Apple Store at the Eaton Centre today and saw a few people buying the iPad Pros. they didn't have any for display, but it looked massive when one of the customers unwrapped his so that they can get it setup for him.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Gee, I am really annoyed at how the economy here is messed up. The exchange rate is so poor everything is much more expensive so less affordable. We're already on 1 CAD = 1.33 USD, that's a huge difference! Unless you get payed in USD (which is very rare), you're screwed.