Canadian iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dumbledorelives, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Would I be correct in saying an iPhone purchased in Canada is factory unlocked and will work on T-Mobile in the US?

2. chestvrg macrumors 65816

That is a good question, first how much did you buy it for? Then I'm sure the only way to try is slipping in a Tmobile SIM.

iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

3. SnowDX macrumors 6502

Depends if you bought an unlocked one or not. If you bought it from a cell carrier, it will be locked to that carrier, regardless of the price you paid. At the Apple store you can buy both unlocked and carrier locked phones. Online at apple.com/ca it is only unlocked phones.

If yours is unlocked then you can use it on T-Mobile but data will only work on EDGE and you won't be able to use FaceTime...and there might be something else you can't do, buy my mind is blanking any further.

4. Heath macrumors regular

As far as I know unless you paid for an unlocked one which is substantially higher priced, you get a locked one.
    However I saw on the news that Rogers and Telus will unlock them for $50.

5. Dumbledorelives thread starter macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

I havent actually bought it yet - but thank you for the advice. That's what I'll do then.

There's no fix for the FaceTime thing?

6. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

What I heard is that TELUS at least won't unlock the iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. SnowDX, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

SnowDX macrumors 6502

It has something to do with FaceTime on the iPhone using your phone # for activation and sending a text message somewhere. And it won't work on unsupported networks.

But there is apparently a workaround if you jailbreak the phone and use a specific app (don't know if it's free or not) http://www.gadgetsdna.com/how-to-enable-iphone-4-facetime-on-tmobile-unofficial-carriers/5660/ I haven't done this myself, nor do I know anyone who has, so can't vouch for the validity of the article.

One more thing, I don't know what size SIM card T-Mobile uses, but if they don't sell micro-sims, then you need to cut it to fit the micro-sim slot of the iPhone. http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/apple/how-to-make-your-own-ipad-or-iphone-4-micro-sim-681020 Or you could buy a micro-sim cutter if you don't want to do it yourself http://www.amazon.com/Micro-SIM-Cutter-Converter-adapters/dp/B003UEWF8I (maybe can find them cheaper elsewhere, it's just the first one that came up in a search)

I believe Rogers is only unlocking after your 3 year contract is complete. Telus is not unlocking iPhones at this time (they do have a list of other phones they are unlocking though). With Telus, you have to have had a minimum 90 days of service before they will unlock.

Correct. I believe they said they were looking to add iPhones in the next few months. Hopefully that comes through.

8. Dumbledorelives thread starter macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Oh, that's right, I forgot about the SIM card thing....is it just as simple as cutting it with scissors?

9. SnowDX macrumors 6502

It seems to be. The first link I posted in the sim card paragraph above has pics of them cutting one down and gives you the exact measurements.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'd just buy a SIM card cutter from Amazon.

11. Dumbledorelives thread starter macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Alright, thank you very much, youve been extremely helpful.

Do you know if they actually work?

12. SnowDX macrumors 6502

One more thing, you can only order from Apple Canada online if you use a Canadian credit card and have it shipped to a Canadian address.

If you're buying the phone at an Apple store, you should definitely confirm that it's unlocked after you purchase it, before taking it back to the U.S. There have been a couple horror stories of people buying unlocked phones and the salesperson making an error and selling them a locked phone. Then they are stuck in a different country with an iPhone locked to a Canadian carrier with no unlock available.

The easiest way to check is likely to have your T-Mobile sim with you and activate the phone with iTunes and make sure it works before you head back to the U.S. I'm a little tired now as it's way past bedtime, so if someone has a better way for you to check, hopefully they will chime in. But definitely don't head back to the U.S. with it sealed in the box and untested.

13. ahsansaeed macrumors newbie

I am a victim of getting the locked set instead of getting the unlocked for which i paid...So get it activated there at apple store before getting it in USA..All the best

14. = bluntman = macrumors regular

re: SIM cutter

I bought one locally in preparation for my trip abroad; it worked flawlessly. The cut down SIM fit perfectly and it was recognized in my unlocked iPhone 4.

15. Dumbledorelives thread starter macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Alright, that settles it, I'm picking up an iPhone 4 next time I'm in Canada!

And thanks all for the advice about making sure it's unlocked. :D