Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
3) Could someone translate all that french please? (i live in toronto, and french isn't one of the 5 languages i speak.)
Don't worry about it, it's mainly off topic stuff about liking/visiting Quebec and the French language it's self... Not bad for stopping French at grade 9 eh? ;)

glennyboiwpg

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2007
I guess I'm too old... I don't get it. First of all, what does one do with a downloaded TV show? Put it on your iPod? Why not watch it on something the size of a postage stamp? Watch it on your PC (or Mac)? That's why I have a 42" TV. So I can see stuff...
Secondly, what would they charge for an episode of a TV show?

Rich :cool:

The point is... lets take the powerbook/macbook pro.

It has a dvi output and optical audio out.

Meaning I can hoook my powerbook to my 56 inch HD TV through a DVI/HDMI hookup (full digial power) and hook my powerbook to my 5.1 sterio through optical out/in.

Full digital video and audio from my laptop to my tv/sterio.

and incase your wondering? It looks wonderful.
:)

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
15 ans! Vraiment! Avez-vous vécu ailleurs? J'ai visité le Québec, une fois, mais j'étais un jeune garçon. J'étais très intimidé de la "langue bizarre." Hehehe. Ah, d'être jeune.
La langue est bizarre! Ainsi que les gens qui habitent là (je blague). Je suis né a Winnipeg mais on a déménagé aux Etats-Unis quand j'étais enfant. Je suis allé vivre à Québec pour un peu de temps aprés l'école secondaire et avant d'aller à l'Université.

cool! Why kansas?

I found a good job out here so I thought I'd give it a shot. Kansas City is a nice place but I still have my eye on moving back to Canada one day. How do you like Kingston? My mom is from North Bay...

jonny

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
So that you don't have to get up and mess with the rabbit ears of course! :D
i love that Rogers system is so effed up (ie. all the installation guys are contract) that they hook you up with everything and anything you want.

i have cable internet + 80 free tv channels. pretty sweet. but i think i'll be ditching rogers for acanac.ca when they start doing this: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...p-tests-injecting-content-into-web-pages.html

I hate rogers. they suck.

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
You don't even need that. Just get an iTunes gift card from Canada, sign out of your US account, change your store to Canada and click "Redeem".

Poof. You have a Canadian account. Download all the poorly produced shows you can afford. ;)

So we should be able to do the same^ with UK programing then? I don't see why Apple just doesn't do an iNational version of iTunes, so we can get international programing from whatever country we want, sort of like Cable TV packages.

I really want to d/l all of those Korean mini-series dramas/soaps; all they do is eat food constantly, and cry, and cry, and cry (seriously, even the guys in the staring roles). And don't forget about all that 'awesome' content coming out of Bollywood (j/k).

zlinger

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2007
How about this Eh! You will even be able to pay for your iTunes TV shows using Canadian Tire Money...:)
moneyfan.jpg

makeyourfaith

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2007
how long...

gee, that's great. TV content. Another few years before we can buy movies no doubt. Anyone know how to buy movies off of iTunes with a Canadian account? I saw others saying they were in the US and had created a Canadian account. What about the opposite?

mich8261

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
CBC availability in the US

I hope they make CBC shows available in the US. I would love to be able to purchase The Nature of Things, the Fifth Estate, Venture (is that still on?)

shonline

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2007
Looks like Apple is adding the small missing pieces prior to the imminent iPhone announcement here in Canada. About bloody time on both counts I'd say. I was wrong about Movies coming first though, and am very surprised they have TV onboard first, as it was a much more complicated thing to do. If one were a conspiracy theorist, you could wonder about Rogers balking at Movie downloads because it impact two of it's major core businesses and Apple playing nice until the iPhone is out the door here.... although I suppose the same could be said for TV (although the scope of TV downloads to be introduced may be small)

Stu

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
1)
3) Could someone translate all that french please? (i live in toronto, and french isn't one of the 5 languages i speak.)

LOL .. that's funny stuff... I grew up in Scarborough and didn't hear ANY french. Lots of Middle East languages. Now I live in New Brunswick and, since it is the only province in Canada that is officially bilingual (English/French), that has changed.

I kinda miss the ethnic diversity of the Big Smoke!!

Cheers.
:):apple:

ilikemonkeys

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2006
I hope they make CBC shows available in the US. I would love to be able to purchase The Nature of Things, the Fifth Estate, Venture (is that still on?)
I've been doing this for a while. I live in Alberta, and every now and then when I travel to the US. I grab a iTunes gift card, so far I've bought the Office (up till now of course), Prison Break, The Core (movie), and all the free goodies that us Canadians don't get (like the free season premieres). For my account, all I did was give some bogus San Francisco address and I was done.

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
You're getting an Apple Store at the Pacific Centre so hang tight.

WE ARE??! When did this happen and where was I? I've never heard any official confirmation from Apple that they're coming to Vancouver, BC anytime soon.
It'd be great if it was true!!!

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
I've been doing this for a while. I live in Alberta, and every now and then when I travel to the US. I grab a iTunes gift card, so far I've bought the Office (up till now of course), Prison Break, The Core (movie), and all the free goodies that us Canadians don't get (like the free season premieres). For my account, all I did was give some bogus San Francisco address and I was done.

SWEET.. Great idea!!

Almost makes me want to finally get around to getting my passport so that I can go to the US to get an iTunes card!!!

Cheers,

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
To Canadians everywhere: You haven't been missing much.

It's like alcohol to a teenager. You only want it because you can't have it. Then when you're of age, the thrill is gone.

-Clive

My first reaction to your comment is that you are probably correct and the novelty would ware off quickly and you would lose interest. However, I wonder how much money is being spent on purchasing TV shows in the current iTunes market. I bet that more copies of the TV shows are being purchased than you would guess. Otherwise, why would Apple spend so much time and money attempting to get permission to sell these TV shows in new markets (e.g. Canada). I'm personally looking forward to being able to purchase these shows. I know that I can currently download them for free off the internet. But I would rather pay the relatively small fee to download the show from Apple so that I know that it will download quickly and that it will be a high quality version of the show.

Cheers.

M!K

macrumors regular
May 12, 2007
Canada
As for TV shows through iTunes, I'm happy that we can finally do it, but I really want HD quality (not near HD quality) and I'd also like the :apple:TV to come with a DVR option. If that happens then I'll be running to the store to get one. Hopefully there'll be an update for the :apple:tv in January <crosses fingers>

i do admit that would be great. i'd love to buy an :apple:Tv, because there's the Apple logo on it and i'm kinda addicted to that logo. But it's kind of not useful... It should have some more features. You know what would be really cool?? If they would do a Apple TV with a DVD slot, and a HDD, so we could record our favorites programs and use the hardware as a DVD player/recorder. Then, Apple could also release a Apple TV (as in the hardware). A plasma screen or something. I would be on cloud nine if I could have a TV with this great logo:apple:

M!K

macrumors regular
May 12, 2007
Canada
But I would rather pay the relatively small fee to download the show from Apple so that I know that it will download quickly and that it will be a high quality version of the show.

I agree with you. I do that with the videoclips because in the iTunes Store, the videoclip are great quality and they look gorgeous on my iPods. And I can't wait to have my fav TV shows with me everywhere.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Well, it looks like changes have begun. The Canadian iTunes Music Store is different- there is no 'Canadian' tab in the New Releases section, and the Quick Links section is now blank.

RafMac

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2007
Ontario
It's already there as Movies and TV shows are in, no Canadian channels. Now where's the iPhone Canadian launch? I called Rogers today and asked about it, they said it's coming before XMas, I don't believe it as January is a possibility after MacWorld as it's kind of close to xmas now, how are they going to market it last minute? Hey apple always finds a way? MacWorld may bring updated iPhones to match ipod touch 16GB capacity or maybe more would be nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.