CANADIANS: Did I just buy the wrong iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jasphair, May 12, 2012.

1. jasphair macrumors member

Hello there,

I just purchased the "new" iPad (or iPad 3, whichever you're supposed to call it) with cellular capability. I received a free ROGERS sim card as well. I am not a Rogers customer (I have TELUS), but thought it would be wise to get a different telco SIM card for use when say, Telus has no reception or something.

In the last hour or so I've spent reading online, it appears there is no on-device activation in Canada. This sucks majorly, but I can live with it. I've also read that the big 3 telcos require a credit check to sign up for the month-to-month? I've just moved to Canada, and I have no credit here yet. Am I screwed?

I travel to the US quite a bit, and the intent was that I'd buy this in Canada (since I live here) and get a pay as you go SIM or whatever in the States (through ATT/T-Mobile/etc) for occasional data usage on my trips. I've read that this may not be an option with this new iPad, given it's emphasis on LTE?

Should I take this back to Apple and get an iPad 2 instead? I was really wanting the iPad 3 for the better display and graphics capability and LTE, but if I can't even register with a Canadian telco, let alone use it in my travels, it's about as useful as a Wifi iPad, except I overpaid $200 for this one. :(

Please advise.

Thank you,

jasphair

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You have to call and find out if you're screwed or not, lol. I doubt you will be though, if that matters.

The iPad is unlocked so you can just go to an AT&T/Apple store, get a microSIM, and sign up on the device whenever you travel to the US.

3. number84 macrumors 6502

You'd be only screwed in Canada if you weren't able to sign up for a plan. I doubt they would deny you though. How did you get your Telus plan then? Don't they have a deposit solution for those with no credit or bad credit anyway? Ie., you put down like a $200 deposit and I you're up to date with your payments for say 6 months you get it back? Just call and ask.

Getting a prepaid plan in the US works the same as the iPad 2.