Canadians, will you be buying the new iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by queshy, Jun 27, 2008.

?

As a Canadian, will you be buying a new iPhone 3G?

1. Yes.

21 vote(s)
    22.8%
  2. No.

71 vote(s)
    77.2%
  1. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

As a Canadian, will you be buying an iPhone 3G legitimately through Rogers/Fido with the current plans?

With today's announcements, I'm curious to see the ratio of "will buy" to "will not buy".

I entered my vote. Hopefully the plans will change before launch after Rogers realizes how badly people are complaining.

2. SleepingSicknes macrumors member

I put "No" for now, just waiting to see the progress and if plans change.

3. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

In the rare event that Rogers actually changes these plans in the near future, we can always make a new thread :)
    Another thing to think about is that the people who visit MacRumors, are on average, more "fanboy-ish" than other people. In view of this, MANY people who visit this forum were planning on buying an iPhone in Canada. It's way harder to change the mind of someone who loves Apple versus. changing the mind of a non-Apple-fanboy. Normal (non-fanboy) customers will gawk way more than we will at these plans!

4. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

Common people, vote! Surely more than one of you is going to buy, lol.

5. Xyl macrumors regular

No, I think 1 sounds about right. The others are probably Rogers execs.

6. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

Lmao. At least rogers employees get half off on the service.

7. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

After the announced plans I definitely will NOT be buying one.

8. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

9. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I'm sure there will be reasonable success with iPhone sales. I don't think MR forum posters are representative of the Cdn smartphone population.

10. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Surely, being Mac/iPhone fans, they're *more* likely to buy the iphone than the rest of the population, so if anything a survey here would be skewed in the other direction.

11. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

Agreed - exactly what I think (see my first post ^^ )

Many Canadians on this forum were in the "definitely going to buy mode!" and now it's the complete opposite. Imagine what a non-Mac-iPhone-fan would say about this!

12. Xyl macrumors regular

Of course, there might be some blind consumers just seeing the phone and getting one immediately. At least for myself, I'll explain to everyone I know why this is such a bad deal.

13. rolex54 macrumors 6502

those are some pretty staggering results so far
    rogers really screwed it up I guess
    Just curious, what are the plans like for a blackberry in canada, are they similar to the iPhone one?

14. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Worse. That's what so many people are not understanding here. Rogers isn't doing any worse than the Canadian telecommunications market in Canada. Granted, they probably could do better, but they're not exactly out-of-line with what the market (sadly) will bear here.

An example of a Rogers BlackBerry plan:

25 MB Data, 350 weekday minutes (unlimited evenings & weekends), $90

An example of a Telus data plan:

Unlimited email, IM, SMS, web*, call display & voicemail, $45
    (The "web" here is selected web apps through the Telus browser, not the "real web" you get on iPhone -also notice this has 0 talk minutes. You have to add this ON TOP of an existing voice plan)

Virgin Canada doesn't have a smartphone, just talk phones with texts and some micro-web stuff. (By the way, Virgin is BY FAR the best deal for talk-time, if you don't need data).

Unfortunately, we often get the short end of the stick with stuff like this. To Canadians, it's really nothing new. Which is probably why you don't see too many of us up in arms over $60 for a talk/data package on iPhone.

It's really in-line with what we pay anywhere.

On the bright side, our gas is still slightly cheaper than most of the rest of the planet.

15. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

I'm kind of intrigued at the following prospect:

The iPhone 3G will be on sale at the Apple store in the US. As far as I understand people purchasing this as a gift will not have to activate it on the spot but will have to activate within 30 days otherwise they will need to return the phone.

Now what if I (Canadian) happen to stroll into a :apple: store in US at some point in the future ;) I happen to pick one up and come back to Canada with it. How will they enforce the 30 day policy?

16. EngBrian macrumors regular

If plan prices/offering were better I would consider leaving Telus but as it is I would be losing features and paying more...Doesn't make sense.

17. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

You sign an agreement that amounts to paying an extra $300-$400 if the phone is not activated within 30days on ATT. You have to pay with a credit card so they will just charge that.

18. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I'm on the fence about this one while I don't want Rogers rip me off, it's also expensive. I mean yeah I could afford one. But is it really worth it? I like Mobile me and all the neat software.

I think the iPhone will sell to all the people who have to have one and then after all those people get one. It will stop selling however this will only happen if the news gets out everywhere about the price differences between Rogers and AT&T.

19. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

Do you know how much that extra amount is exactly? I might be willing to bite the bullet, unlock the phone and pick a voice and data plan a la carte with Rogers.

20. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

What's the difference between Rogers and Fido?

21. yoink macrumors member

yoink

I didn't vote, because I would say "wait and see."

I got a pretty immediate response from a Rogers rep regarding my displeasure with the iPhone plans.

An excerpt:

We are sorry to hear that our iPhone 3G voice and data packages are less
    than you were expecting. We would like to point out that they do offer
    more data and airtime than our traditional packages and they also come
    with the added features of bonus text messages and visual voicemail.

However, we appreciate that this release has come with expectations from
    our customers. At Rogers we are always aiming to improve service to
    better meet the needs of our customers and we appreciate your feedback.
    Your comments will be passed along for further review and consideration.​

First off (and this addresses both Rogers and others), who cares if they're "in-line" or even provide "more" value than other Canadian plans and providers. That means they're trying to fleece us a little less? I'm on a plan that was offered only shortly and is now grandfathered, so that means little to me, even though I pay anywhere between $100-200 a month (without data).

This aggression will not stand, man.

Seriously though, I'm going to call Rogers customer relations and see if I can't negotiate something a little more palatable.

Remember that if iPhone 3G sales are low, so are App Store sales and Mobile Me sales, so pricing the plans out of reach hurts Apple Canada too.

And they're trying really hard to get the Apple Store in downtown Montreal finished really quickly. They were working all day today and I don't know much construction that continues on a Saturday in this province.

22. kthacher macrumors newbie

I think it is time we finally say NO to Rogers and their gouging plans. I was very much looking forward to being an iPhone customer, but I refuse to sign up to their outrageous three year plans. Apple should have stepped on the necks of these crooks before letting them sell this phone. I have my own company that currently runs on BB's over Rogers. All of us are very heavy cell phone users and just the kind of customer that carriers drool over. I will move my entire business away from Rogers as soon as I can. I am that sick of them.

23. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

The more I start to think about it it makes sense for me to get the iPhone as I don't need that many minutes and I think I could manage on 400MB of Data. I leaning more on getting one. I think some people are a little hard on Rogers because comparing them to other Canadian networks there deals are pretty good. While they aren't as good as our American counterparts. They still manage to beat all other networks.

24. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Not much. Fido targets no contract pay as you go people more while Rogers targets monthly subscribers and corporate plans.

25. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

They're also known as Dumb and Dumber :)