Canadians with iPad 3 with 4G.. Bell, Rogers or Telus?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by adamfilip, Mar 14, 2012.

?

Who is the best for Canadian 4G Service

1. Bell

15.2%
  2. Rogers

39.1%
  3. Telus

39.1%
  4. Virgin??

6.5%
  1. adamfilip macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

I am getting a New iPad 32GB Black with 4G

Im not sure who I should get for 4G service

Bell, Rogers or Telus

I live in Burlington Ontario

Suggestions?

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Rogers, but that's because I get an employee discount, so it's not a fair comparison lol

3. psychoboyjack macrumors newbie

Despite their $35 activation fee, I'm going with Telus and hopefully getting a Flex Data Plan for Tablets. I'm hoping if I can stick with this data, I can reduce how much I pay for on my iPhone since I barely consume data on there.

Are there any horror stories about Telus tablet plans I'm missing? :/

4. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Telus hasnt released lte plans yet but fine print says no activation fee for iPads.

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

There are no activation fees for the Prepaid Data plans, for any carrier. If you go with a Flex Rate plan, like the previous poster mentioned, then it's treated like a cell phone or even another mobile internet device, and there is a $35 activation since it's a postpaid plan.

6. number84 macrumors 6502

I'm getting a Telus micro sim with my order, but just saw on Bell's site that they are waving the activation fee and including a micro sim free if you sign up before 31Mar. Might give them a try for a month or two to see how good their network is. But I like Telus' flex plans better as they have the $20/250-500Mb that Bell doesn't offer as I'm sure I'd go over 250Mb each month, but should be able to stay below 500Mb most of the time.

7. beret9987 macrumors regular

Telus and Bell run a HSPA+ network together, so coverage is gonna be comparable either way you go.

8. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I ordered a Telus SIM, mainly because I've already got an account with them, and have had good luck with their loyalty and retentions group over the years. The middle tier (500MB) doesn't hurt either.

C

9. SgtBullmoose macrumors member

Warnng: if you go pre-paid with Rogers, you wil not get LTE. Chrck their website and ipadincanada.ca for confirmation. i"m looking at Bell or Telus in downtown Toronto

10. big samm macrumors 65816

big samm

Im gonna use Rogers... I have a 10gb sharing plan... All i need to do is slide my micro thats in my current ipad in the new one and voila!

11. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

where does it say this? effin rogers....

12. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

1. Rogers LTE flex rate plans and data share plans will support tethering thus turning it into a hotspot.

2. As for customers who are currently on 3G data plans – They’ll need to speak to a rep about options for transferring to an LTE plan as each plan could have a different outcome based on the account details.

3. Personal hotspot costs – tethering is included in the cost of the plans *edited* All data plans can tether regardless of data bucket size.

4. On device plans are not LTE enabled.

5. Existing iPhone users with the 6Gb/$30 plan should speak to a rep about sharing and pricing details as each account could vary.

So, if you sign up with for the 250MB/$15 or 5GB/$35 plan directly on the iPad, no LTE for you. Just DC-HSPA max. And if you plan on data sharing with you existing smartphone, you need to make sure you have a 6GB/$30 LTE plan, not simply the smartphone or BlackBerry plan or else you'll be limited to DC-HSPA as well.

13. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Can't understand 4. - but their website confirms it by putting LTE next to the other plans and not the iPad activated ones. Looks like I'm with Bell...

14. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Here's the link, it's in the Updates at the bottom: http://www.ipadincanada.ca/ipad-news/rogers-ipad-lte-data-plans-to-support-personal-hotspot/

That's pretty lame that they don't support LTE for the prepaid plans. I'm sure they'll be updated at some point. As a tip for everyone, at the store we pretty much have only LTE sims now, at least my store does, so you'll be all set once the plans get updated to support LTE.

15. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

If you sign up directly on the iPad in settings like the screenshot, you won't get LTE regardless if you have an LTE Micro SIM.
    [​IMG]

16. adamfilip thread starter macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

Flex Rates

Bell Flex Rate
    5GB / $35
    extra MB is .015 cents each
    Setup $35

Rogers Flex Rate - LTE
    5GB / $36.93
    extra MB is unknown (cant find it)
    Setup ?

Telus Flex Rate
    5GB / $35
    extra MB is .02 cents each
    Setup ? Free

17. SgtBullmoose macrumors member

I think Bell/Telus is the clear choice here unless you live somewhere like St John's, then I guess you're stuck with Robbers

18. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

I can't fathom why anyone would choose Rogers for their iPad unless your sharing with an existing data plan.

19. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

I'm going with Bell. But... are they definitely LTE with iPad activated accounts?

20. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Bell hasn't said otherwise. They did say that if you are on an iPad data plan with a normal SIM that you could get the account moved over to an LTE SIM at no cost. If you chose an Bell SIM with you iPad WiFi+4G, it will be LTE enabled.

Should be noted that the on device plans available for Bell are

$15-250MB
    $20-500MB
    $35-5GB
    $45-5GB+Mobile TV

For the flex plan ($5/10MB-$35/5GB), you must go to a Bell location/dealer or call Bell to sign up.

21. frumpsnake macrumors member

frumpsnake

Telus.

Bell/Telus have better LTE coverage around Ontario than Rogers and much faster HSPA (particularly now that the iPad does DC-HSPA). Oh, and then there's the whole BS about Rogers not offering LTE on prepaid/on-device plans at all.

Since the OP is from Burlington it's a no brainer. Rogers don't offer LTE anywhere around the Hamilton/Burlington area yet but Bell/Telus do.

Compared to Bell, Telus range of flex rate plans seem better and if you're already a cell customer (or are planning on moving), you'll get free data sharing on Telus. Bell charge $10.

22. blurredline, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

blurredline macrumors 6502

blurredline

I'm a Rogers customer for my iPhone, but this will be my first cellular enabled iPad. I'm leaning towards Telus but I can't find any information as to whether or not their pre-paid data plans support tethering/personal hotspot. I'm currently in discussion with their support on Twitter but the guy is saying this is "an Apple based application we can't support" and isn't understanding what I'm asking. Anyone else know the answer? :)

*Edit. Here is the word from the Telus rep on Twitter:

TELUSsupport:
    @wattjustin We will support the feature if the network is the reason of the issue and yes, the plans does include tethering.

23. SgtBullmoose macrumors member

I went to the Bell Store in the Eaton Centre today and picked up an LTE micro SIM for the iPad 3. They didn't charge an activation fee or for the SIM card since I got a flex plan with them. I'll try them out for a month or two and see if I want to switch.

24. number84, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

number84 macrumors 6502

fyi, just saw that Telus is now waiving the activation fee for their flex plans from 16Mar - 30Apr so i'm going to go Telus instead of Bell now since I like their middle $20/250-500Mb tier.

Edit: Actually looks like they got rid of the $20/250-500Mb tier and it's now $20/100-500Mb. Crappy that they changed it, but still better than what the others are currently offering. Details here: http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/03/15/telus-comes-out-with-a-new-data-flex-tablet-promo/

25. Sneakz, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Despite what Telus said, I do not have personal hotspot with the Data Flex plan.

Actually, I do.

I also find that LTE to HSPA handoffs go fine, but HSPA back to LTE not so much.