Cancel iPhone 4 Data Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thirdykal, Jul 3, 2011.

1. thirdykal macrumors member

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before, but I have a couple questions.

Can I buy an iPhone 4 now (I know, I know, but I need it now), and then after a couple months of paying for the data plan, cancel it by saying I no longer use it by giving AT&T the IMEI number of an old Motorola I have?

I would then sell the phone to a friend who wants it, would they be required to buy a data plan, or could they just unlock it and go about using it without a data plan?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Sure.
    You can actually just take the SIM card out of the iPhone, put it into the dumb phone and call AT&T to cancel the data plan. Then you can sell your phone to your friend.

Your friend will be required to add a data plan.

3. ann713 macrumors 6502a

To be straight to to the point, a data plan will be required for anyone using the iPhone. I believe it's detected over the network.

4. thirdykal thread starter macrumors member

So even if the phone is unlocked/jailbroken, they will be required to buy a data plan?

5. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yep.

7. thirdykal thread starter macrumors member

That sucks, so is there any way of using an iPhone as... just a phone, without a data plan on AT&T?

8. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Nope. :eek:

You can turn off Cellular Data, take out the sim and use it as an iPod but that's about it.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Not possible. Very unlikely that your friend will be able to.

10. thirdykal thread starter macrumors member

That's pretty dumb imo. Maybe that's only because I don't think he'll want it anymore, eBay would be a better bet then.

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

So you would promise not to use any of the data features on the iPhone and ONLY use it as a phone:p

AT&T will slap a plan on your account with in 30 days if not sooner.

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

buy a ipod touch and a dumb phone! I'm being serious you can do most things wifi via the touch and make calls via dumb phone. you can make calls via skype on the touch. only downside carrying two devices.

13. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

AT&T subsidized the cost of the phone. They want to recoup their costs by charging you for data. That's not dumb. Just business.

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

Verizon does the same thing; they require a data plan on all smart phones and the iPhone.

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

Smart phones tend not to be smart without data. GPS also requires Data! ;)

16. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Your friend could get a data block put on his account before he puts his SIM into the iPhone but sooner or later (probably sooner), Big Brother is gonna catch him and add a data plan.

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

well AT&T doesn't do this anymore. it's only if you had one of the really old ones from before.

18. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Every smart phone, from the Blackberry to the latest Android phone, have a data plan attached to them. VZW, Sprint, T-Mo or ATT will happily add it for you.

19. iPhone Warrior macrumors member

Even if you buy the phone at full price, 600+, AT&T will add the data plan. It just isn't an option to have any smart phone on AT&T without a data plan.

20. aneftp macrumors 601

At least ATT will give u option of limited 200mb $15 data plan for smartphones

Verizon tried that for like 4 months in late 2010 and ended the limited $15 smartphone data plan. Gees. I wonder why Verizon canceled that limited data option. Maybe because it's because they realized many who have blackberries or are around wifi opted to switch and save money with the limited data plan.

Back to your friend. There are ways to add the iPhone to prepaid accounts, just google it.

Data is a cash cow for cell phone carriers these days. At least ATT gives u the option of canceling the data plans for their subsidized phones.

Try buying a subsidized phone from tmobile USA. They slap a mandatory data fee for 24 months regardless if you keep or sell the phone. If you want to cancel the data plan you have to pay the $200 tmobile ETF. Tmobile does not require data plans if you buy the phone at full price.

So the grass is not greener with mandatory data on other carriers.

21. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

True enough. It's still their reasoning behind the addition of the plan.

22. Alacheer10 macrumors member

It's an Internet based phone, dummy. That's what they have cheap phones for.

23. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

It has wifi though...Think about it...if you had two options:

A) "Dumb phone" no data plan and an iPod touch

OR

B) iPhone with no data plan

?
    Me personally Ill keep my data plan I like cellular data but I think you get the point. If you pay full retail for the phone you should not need to pay for anything beyond what the basic cell phone user pays.

24. maximation macrumors newbie

I recently purchased locked iPhone 4 from Craigslist for $380 and bought a H2o service. $40 unlimited talk/messages per month. FaceTime also works,Minutes to at&t customers are counted as mobile to mobile since H20 leases the lines from AT&T.

25. old-wiz macrumors G3

And for light users you could just pay for data use in blocks per month at a reasonable price, with no minimum.