Cancel outgoing SMS (Argh, why not Apple?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mekohler, Nov 15, 2008.

1. mekohler macrumors member

Why isn't there an option to cancel an outgoing SMS? On every other phone this is a standard feature or there is a way to do it. Sometimes I will type something real fast and send only to realize iphone autocorrect messed up the context of the entire message. Sometimes I will hit send by accident as well...A simple SWIPE TO CANCEL or CANCEL button would work.

:(

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Maybe Steve Jobs' looks at this forum and watches how much everybody complains about this issue and decides to hold off even longer on making this feature available. Thanks:rolleyes:

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This option doesn't exist on other phones does it? I've personally never seen it.

4. mekohler thread starter macrumors member

Sure does. I had 2-3 Verizon phones before this and there was always a way to cancel an SMS (My last one you just hit the hangup button). With the iPhone, even hitting Home or toggling Sleep mode, the SMS is still sent.

5. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Most Nokia phones have this option.

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Usually pressing the cancel/back buttons on phones will cancel the sending. Since the iPhone is essentially a multitasking device, standby and home buttons doesn't stop anything, just hides it.

7. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I second that. I have never seen this on any of my, or my friend's phones.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ok fair enough. Then back to the original question ... why doesn't Apple have it? Who knows. Want to be able to do this? Get a phone from Verizon.

9. mekohler thread starter macrumors member

Lame response. I rather whine about it on a forum until it is fixed.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

why do some people have issues with people criticizing apple....

11. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Because when I want something done, I complain about it on an internet forum, yeah, that sounds good.:rolleyes:

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Maybe just read what you type before you send it? :p Even if you cancel a message on another phone, you may or may not catch it before it gets to the server,

I mean, we all do dumb stuff. This morning I tried to send an e-mail out to a girl I went out on a date with this last week, and instead I sent it in GMail to a girl with the same first name I dated three months ago. ZOMG, embarrassing. But it's a lesson to look before I hit send. Don't rely on retracting e-mails. Don't rely on retracting SMS either.

Otherwise... honestly, of all the things people complain about on the iPhone, you're the first one I've heard complain about this. And so I wouldn't hold my breath that this is atop Apple's to-fix list.

13. mekohler thread starter macrumors member

Back to sarcasm school for you!

14. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

This really should be a feature on the iPhone. It has been an option on every phone I have ever had that supported texting. And if it isnt a feature, at least you can pull the battery on most phones to stop an outgoing message.

15. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

You can take a battery out that fast? WOAH!

16. mekohler thread starter macrumors member

Alot of phones you can take the battery out in like 1-2 seconds, it's just a little flap on the back of the phone.

17. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Never on my old phones...Or maybe, and i just didn't want to hurt them...

18. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I agree
    unfortunately, the placement of the send button is all too easy to hit on accident
    then your screwed...

19. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Thats true, and yet ive found that i have never accidently hit it. Even though youd think it would happen all the time.

20. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

Residents from "The OC" must never make mistakes while texting!

:p

21. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

1. I think the send button is actually HARD to hit. I end up TRYING to hit it like 3 times before I get it just right... and I like it better that way.

2. Last night I ALMOST texted my girlfriend "I want to lube with you"... when I really meant "I want to live with you". She would have gotten a kick out of the first one, but the thing is, I READ my messages before I just ship them off. It's just something I'm used to doing. So needless to say, she got "I want to live with you" and she thought it was cute.

22. A N G E L macrumors member

A N G E L

When it comes to my old SAMSUNG phone, I just had to press the Hang Up button and it would just cancel it, but most times, the data gets through to the network and sent to the recipient before your phone even shows you the "Sent." image.

So even if Apple implemented a way to cancel a text message, more than likely (on an iPhone 3G), the text would get sent out quickly anyway.

23. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I agree. Every phone I have had has been able to cancel messages. When auto correct mucks up the message, a cancel option would be really useful.

24. iblastoff macrumors 6502

hahaha the iphone is a multitasking device? nice try

25. Ademius macrumors regular

If hardly no one asks for it, it will probably come in firmware updates. Wouldn't surprise me at all.. Apple ignoring the most popular complaints.

I suppose it would be good to have though, but I've never felt the need for it.