Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Originally I had decided on the 12.9" iPad Pro 256GB w/ Cellular (in Silver, with coordinating White Magic Keyboard) for just slightly north of my $2,000 budget upon adding AppleCare and applying account credit. After further careful consideration (I'm the weirdo who doesn't "consume" much tele-visual media [movies, shows], who doesn't work in a demandingly creative field or do a lot of digital art, who prefers to reduce his cellular usage/bill where possible, who doesn't gravitate toward the largest of displays anyway for the sake of portability and simplicity [still using my trusty 10.6" display-equipped 256GB/8GB Surface Pro 2 from 2013], and who clearly needs his investment to last as long as possible), I decided last night to cancel my original iPad Pro XDR pre-order and go with something potentially far more logical — and powerful — for similar funds (approx. $70 more, all things [cheaper AppleCare/keyboard] considered).

Enter iPad Pro 11", 1TB, Wi-Fi (in Space Gray with Black Magic Keyboard). I know I said I'm not the most power-hungry user but as a tech nerd I can and certainly do appreciate sheer power and capability especially where it may extend the potential lifespan of my investment and improve general, day-to-day quality of life within the confines of Apple's walled garden OS (heck, if 16GB of RAM can virtually eliminate the chances of a Safari tab or entire application having to reload as well as help ensure the device's longevity as iPadOS and future software grow potentially more resource-greedy, then I'm all for it). The earlier slated date of arrival (May 24-Jun 1, as opposed to the XDR's Jun 2-Jun 9), to be fully honest, helped assuage any lingering fears I may have made the wrong decision.

:)
It sounds like you made a logical decision. If you worked on photos/videos, and consumed video content, the display on the 12.9 would make sense. Since you don’t, the 11 seems to be the more logical choice for you.

I was originally going to get the 12.9 myself, but I also opted for the 11 (since I’m a weirdo just like you 😉). I ordered an iMac as well, and planning on picking up a 14/16 MBP this year. So the 11 made sense for having a variety of device sizes for different applications.

• Love
Reactions: sorgo †

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Like you said, IF one owns both devices.

IF one doesn't, then it becomes ANOTHER device to buy.

Not the best solution if one isn't convinced they need or want an Apple Watch in the first place.

My point was Apple Watch owners aren't some fringe group; there's like 100 million of them out there. So it IS a great solution for millions of people for the time being. I agree you're currently SOL if you're not one of them, which is why I'm all for the idea of having both Face ID and Touch ID on the same device (as long as it's integrated elegantly) - both for the mask issue and for people who just prefer Touch ID all the time for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I realized I still needed portability since all of my exams are proctored online and we are back on campus next semester. Plus I was struggling with the cost of the iMac and sadly had to cancel. But I am excited about the MacBook Air.
Understandable.. I had to do a U-turn lol. Because you seemed overtly excited about the new iMac coming along, even sent out your potential setup. When is the MBA set to arrive?

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Originally I had decided on the 12.9" iPad Pro 256GB w/ Cellular (in Silver, with coordinating White Magic Keyboard) for just slightly north of my $2,000 budget upon adding AppleCare and applying account credit. After further careful consideration (I'm the weirdo who doesn't "consume" much tele-visual media [movies, shows], who doesn't work in a demandingly creative field or do a lot of digital art, who prefers to reduce his cellular usage/bill where possible, who doesn't gravitate toward the largest of displays anyway for the sake of portability and simplicity [still using my trusty 10.6" display-equipped 256GB/8GB Surface Pro 2 from 2013], and who clearly needs his investment to last as long as possible), I decided last night to cancel my original iPad Pro XDR pre-order and go with something potentially far more logical — and powerful — for similar funds (approx. $70 more, all things [cheaper AppleCare/keyboard] considered).

Enter iPad Pro 11", 1TB, Wi-Fi (in Space Gray with Black Magic Keyboard). I know I said I'm not the most power-hungry user but as a tech nerd I can and certainly do appreciate sheer power and capability especially where it may extend the potential lifespan of my investment and improve general, day-to-day quality of life within the confines of Apple's walled garden OS (heck, if 16GB of RAM can virtually eliminate the chances of a Safari tab or entire application having to reload as well as help ensure the device's longevity as iPadOS and future software grow potentially more resource-greedy, then I'm all for it). The earlier slated date of arrival (May 24-Jun 1, as opposed to the XDR's Jun 2-Jun 9), to be fully honest, helped assuage any lingering fears I may have made the wrong decision.

:)
Yeah $2,000 Is Cray-cray MacBook Pro level cash. I’m dropping $600 Stimi money and $455 Uncle Apple gave me as trade in for my old 11” Pro.

$2,000 cash money that’s out of my budget I drive a Tesla Model Y, not a Rolls Royce or Mercedes Benz.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yeah $2,000 Is Cray-cray MacBook Pro level cash. I’m dropping $600 Stimi money and $455 Uncle Apple gave me as trade in for my old 11” Pro.

$2,000 cash money that’s out of my budget I drive a Tesla Model Y, not a Rolls Royce or Mercedes Benz.

I drive a 12-year old Toyota RAV4 (got it when they had the cash for clunkers deal). That's one of the reasons I'm able to feed my tech addition. It gets me to work daily (and groceries on the weekend) and is reasonably reliable. That's all I need from it. :p

Mind, there are Mercedes Benz models that are cheaper than Tesla.

Last edited:

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Understandable.. I had to do a U-turn lol. Because you seemed overtly excited about the new iMac coming along, even sent out your potential setup. When is the MBA set to arrive?
Just checked it: it says May 24-26 but is preparing to ship…surely it shouldn’t take that long if it’s already preparing to ship! And yeah I was so bummed to cancel cause I was stoked about the iMac but reality hit when I realized my medical school is back on campus and we have to take exams in person with our own computers… The good thing is I’ll get to experience the M1 Macs and it’s basically the same guts as the iMac.
2E8A8900-44F9-49C8-9B00-69EF9842B62A.png

Last edited:

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Just checked it: it says May 24-26 but is preparing to ship…surely it shouldn’t take that long if it’s already preparing to ship! And yeah I was so bummed to cancel cause I was stoked about the iMac but reality hit when I realized my medical school is back on campus and we have to take exams in person with our own computers… The good thing is I’ll get to experience the M1 Macs and it’s basically the same guts as the iMac. View attachment 1772096
Good call. If you can only get one — either desktop or laptop — the laptop is the more practical choice.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I drive a 12-year old Toyota RAV4 (got it when they had the cash for clunkers deal). That's one of the reasons I'm able to feed my tech addition. It gets me to work daily (and groceries on the weekend) and is reasonably reliable. That's all I need from it. :p
I’m with you (driving a 2011 cr-v myself). I can create more with a $2k device than I could with a $40k+ automobile!

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

Mind, there are Mercedes Benz models that are cheaper than Tesla.
Yeah but gas, and oil changes, and engines rattles. I’ve had my share of clunkers

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
What if Apple allows you to unlock the iPad with an Apple Watch/iPhone in a future software update?

The future is not now. Once more people have been vaccinated, this may be a moot point already. I'll buy a 1TB 5G 11 eventually. Just not it any hurry for now.

Maybe by the time I buy, there would even be discounts. The current carrier deals don't count. Those all require new lines to the tune of $240 or more a year. Can't just upgrade existing line and if I cancel the iPad line and sign up for new line, that also makes me ineligible for the discount.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yeah but gas, and oil changes, and engines rattles. I’ve had my share of clunkers

I drive maybe 3000 miles a year so the gas savings isn't much in my case. As for the rest, hasn't been a big issue *knock on wood*.

That's a ton of money ($6,000-10,000 every year, not including DP) that I can spend on other stuff that are more important to me. Cars have just never been high on my priority list.

If you enjoy Teslas, then by all means. It's your money.

I've just never understood how $2K on tech that one will use for 2+ years is crazy/bad but $5-20K a year on cars, vacations, etc. is completely acceptable.

Last edited:

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
I think that a few have canceled their Costco 2021 12.9" orders. All but the 128GB were out of stock a few days after they were listed online, but a few days ago, some have started to reappear on Costco's site. I picked up one of those (a 256GB) but am unsure whether I'm going to keep it or cancel it.

I'm coming from a 2017 10.5" iPP and want the larger screen. The M1 will mean nothing to my relatively casual usage, and I'm beginning to think that neither will XDR. Finding a heavily discounted 2020 would definitely be attractive. But if the Mini-LED screen would make reading text easier on my older eyes, I would bite the bullet, keep the order, and look forward to the 2021 iteration.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 16, 2016
Funny, I feel the opposite. Unless you have a specific use case requiring a desktop, you are WAY better off with an iPad… Way better.
Personally I've grown into the same tendencies. I used to heavily refer laptops and full-fledged "desktop" OSes, but after almost a decade with a hybrid device running a desktop Windows OS I'm ready to simplify and merge into something more seamless and complementary with the rest of my personal tech ecosystem, almost all of which is Apple.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Personally I've grown into the same tendencies. I used to heavily refer laptops and full-fledged "desktop" OSes, but after almost a decade with a hybrid device running a desktop Windows OS I'm ready to simplify and merge into something more seamless and complementary with the rest of my personal tech ecosystem, almost all of which is Apple.

For home use, I feel the same. I still keep Windows PCs because there are a few corner cases where iOS won't work but for the most part, I prefer to use the iPad. I've even got both 10-11" and 13" size classes because much like desktop+laptop, I found I have different use-cases for the two sizes.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Did you feel the same way before trackpad support was introduced?

Yes. At home, I pretty much use iPads exclusively with just the touchscreen. I actually dislike the clamshell form factor.

I think when I got the iPad Pro 9.7, that's when I pretty much stopped using my laptop.

Reactions: one more

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Yes. At home, I pretty much use iPads exclusively with just the touchscreen. I actually dislike the clamshell form factor.
May I ask how old you are? I don't mean it in any way disrespectful, I am just curious if age plays a role here. I am 48, I grew up with computers, and I cannot imagine just using an iPad all day for my computing needs. I like iPads, but in my mind they are consumption devices. My problem is that the touch interface can never be as precise as a mouse and keyboard.

Reactions: calstanford

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
May I ask how old you are? I don't mean it in any way disrespectful, I am just curious if age plays a role here. I am 48, I grew up with computers, and I cannot imagine just using an iPad all day for my computing needs. I like iPads, but in my mind they are consumption devices. My problem is that the touch interface can never be as precise as a mouse and keyboard.

37. With that said, I work on an office-supplied Windows desktop with full keyboard and MX Ergo trackball. That's why I qualified my statement with home use. My personal laptop was primarily used for consumption same as the iPad is doing now—reading comics and ebooks, web browsing on the couch or bed, watching Crunchyroll and Netflix, etc.

I do still have desktops and laptops at home for file management and backup, DeDRMing ebook purchases, ripping Blu-rays, jailbreaking Kindles, telecommuting, and the occasional website or software that won't work on iOS. I just don't need to do those things all that often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.