Candybar on Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by danakm, Jul 21, 2011.

1. danakm macrumors regular

danakm

For some reason some applications show with a lock when I'm on Candybar and as a result I cannot change their icons. Any idea of what causes this/how to fix it?

2. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

3. OH Mac Fan macrumors newbie

I updated Candybar to version 3.3 and I'm having no issues on Lion 10.7

4. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

5. danakm thread starter macrumors regular

danakm

I updated to 3.3 and this is what I see: http://d.pr/Odfu
    Those that have the little lock I can't change at all and I can't quite understand why? :confused:

6. OH Mac Fan macrumors newbie

My first thought is that they're installed under an admin user and you're locked from changing them. If you are the admin, goto the applications folder and see if they're set to locked for some reason. Just to clarify, goto the program in the applications folder and right click it. If you have permission to unlock it just click the unlock dialog box and you should be able to alter it in candybar. I just tried it here and that simulated your situation.

7. danakm thread starter macrumors regular

danakm

I am logged in as admin and they don't seem to be locked (and for some reason that option is greyed out too) :confused:

Look: http://d.pr/fnVJ + http://d.pr/Ssxo

I'm utterly confused by this :(

8. Kayteaface macrumors newbie

I read on the Candybar site that in the latest update it's only the apps that you've got from the App Store that are locked. The reason being : "prevents potentially harmful customization of Mac App Store app icons". Pretty annoying to be honest.

And you can check it out here for yourself http://www.panic.com/candybar/releasenotes.html

9. OH Mac Fan macrumors newbie

Not sure on that one, I'd contact their support

10. danakm thread starter macrumors regular

danakm

Are you kidding me? What the heck are they thinking? *pissed off* :mad:

11. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

This seems like an awesome app. Totally worth the $29. I think i'll just have to go out an get this...haha

12. danakm thread starter macrumors regular

danakm

Just so you know, they aren't letting App Store buys be customized :mad:

13. danakm thread starter macrumors regular

danakm

Any idea if it will be fixed if I downgrade to 3.2?

14. Kayteaface macrumors newbie

I tried that this morning; the locks disappeared but I couldn't change any of the other app icons at all then. I guess we're just stuck with 3.3 for now :mad:

15. danakm thread starter macrumors regular

danakm

If you go back to 3.1 you can change AppStore applications' icons. The trade-back is that you cannot change OS/system icons.

I downgraded, changed the two that were bugging me and went back to 3.3.

I hope they fix this "feature", but in case they don't I'm keeping both versions for now.

16. Dumbledore macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a question. I downgraded to 3.1, changed the icon that had a lock in 3.3 (Sparrow, email app), then upgraded to 3.3 again. However, I was suddenly no longer able to open Sparrow and suspected it had to do with the changes I made to the icon. So I set all icons back to default, and tada, Sparrow was working again. Sadly, it seems that Candybar itself is now corrupt. None of my application icons can be changed, they are still set to default, and every time I apply changes to them, I get the same prompt over and over again telling me changes still have to be applied. When I quit the program, it tells me all changes will be lost, so now I'm stuck with those crappy default icons. :(
    Any ideas?

System icons seem to be working fine, by the way.

Thanks!

17. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

You all know you can change the icons all you want without buying that right?

18. Dumbledore macrumors newbie

How do I do that, please?

Problem is, I've already purchased CandyBar and would really like it to work... :mad:

19. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

i'd like to see the launchpad icons changeable (and less likely, the sidebar icons....).

HATE seeing the defaults in launchpad!

20. danakm thread starter macrumors regular

danakm

Why didn't you only remove the Sparrow icon if that was the one giving you problems? Yes, some apps do not accept icon changes well (like Kindle for mac) and you need to leave them alone, but you don't know until you try, so it's easy to just reverse that single problem when it happens.

Have you tried restarting? I don't have many ideas because I have never used the option to reverse EVERYTHING back to default on Candybar :(

21. danakm thread starter macrumors regular

danakm

I've heard that somewhere, but I'm not sure how it's done.

22. kkaibel macrumors newbie

application Icons

does anyone know how to change specific application icons (i.e. skype, firefox, safari,ect.)? i am using candybar but its not letting me change specific applications. Im trying to get a more universal look throughout my dock and the bright blue skype logo would look better as a brushed aluminum.

23. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

Any updates on this issue? I have the same problem with Lion and Candybar. My new Mac Mini didn't seem to have this issue, but I started the system with a Time Machine backup right from the original system configuration. Unfortunately my new MBA didn't enjoy the same treatment and started from scratch. As a result, the iLife application icons can't seem to be changed. It's slightly annoying. I can live with it, but there must be a way around this.

24. aleni macrumors 68020

for those interested in customizing icons in lion but dont want to buy candybar.

check out "Litecon" on google. it's free and does the job nice. it's made by the developer of appcleaner.

25. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

For me it's just locked iMovie, iPhoto, and Garage Band, the ones that got updated immediately from iLife '11 after booting Lion for the first time. I can alter all other apps in Candy Bar, including Aperture, etc.. My Lion was a factory install on new 2011 mini.