Candyshell or Otterbox Defender?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by AdventurousJosh, Oct 30, 2010.

1. AdventurousJosh macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    Just bought an iPhone 4 and dont know what case to buy. I'm having a hard time choosing between the white Candyshell speck case or the black/white Otterbox defender.
    Which do you guys prefer?

Also I've read about dust getting inside the botterbox case and then causing it to scratch the screen. If you recommend the otterbox, do you recommend I use a screen protecter under the case? or will the screen be too unresponsive?

Thanks,

Josh

http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products-CandyShell-Moonsicle-Charcoal/dp/B003TO53WY

http://www.otterbox.com/iPhone-4-De...XX_color=20&start=1&cgid=apple-iphone-4-cases

2. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I would probably have to say the Candyshell, the Otterbox is ugly, IMO.

3. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502

JonathanK81

It's really personal preference, but I too agree, the Otterbox cases are all ugly. I have a CandyShell, and am fairly happy with it.

4. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

That's why I put IMO (In My Opinion). The CandyShell is supposed to have fairly good shock protection, also.

5. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

The recommendation with the Otterbox is to pop out their membrane/screen protector and use your own screen protector. And yes, the dust getting underneath and scratching the screen is true. I have an iPhone 4 with so-called Gorilla Glass. The pit/scratch is small, but noticeable. Also, the retina display is severely hindered by the protector, but if you need the protection, its hard to beat.

6. in0va3 macrumors member

Could I put the Otterbox's screen protector with my current screen protector under it? I also have a PS Crystal on the back so it might be a tight fit? I would hate that cause I want everything to fit right and not put pressure on the phone.

7. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502

JonathanK81

What are you talking about? I know it was your opinion, I was agreeing with you ;)

8. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

My exact opinion.

9. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

The fit would be good, but you probably will lose the beauty of the retina display. Protection-wise that would be excellent.

10. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I know. But you said it was "really personal preference" after I put IMO. I was just confused. :)

My friend has a CandyShell for his iPT, it looks pretty good. Not much more thickness, pretty good looking, but the dock piece is breaking off. I'm not sure if that's all the cases or his fault though.

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I have both the OB Defender and the Candyshell. I prefer the Candyshell over the OB Defender anyday.

12. scarboy6693 macrumors 6502

Candyshell any day. Looks great, has a good level of protection and its stylish. I have both too. I ended up taking off the built in screen shield on the Defender, and now its like 10x better since the screen looks as it should and you don't have to worry about dust getting between the screen and membrane.

13. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Ugh i still cant decide!
    Will the cadyshell protect it will if I drop my iPhone 4?

14. scarboy6693 macrumors 6502

Yes it will.. I've dropped my phone in the candyshell, came out without a scratch

15. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I got a new black candy shell for sale but don't know what my wife did with the box. $18.50 plus shipping.

Marc

16. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats good news.
    I know both cases are thick, but how much thinner is the candyshell over the otterbox? noticeably or barely?

17. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Honestly man probably not by much but the candyshell will get the job done in style. Otterbox is just a huge bulky case IMO. If you really want an otterbox case, go with the commuter, it would be my
    Second choice after the candyshell.

18. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I have the Candyshell with the Otterbox Defender on its way. The Candyshell is pretty good in terms of protection. It's probably a little thicker than most of the silicone/slim cases out there but nothing I would call overly bulky. Overall it's a great case however taking the phone in/out of the Candyshell can be quite a pain. Currently I'm using a bumper with the Candyshell as backup, as well as Seidio case and another bumper as backups for my backup. The OB Defender will primarily be used for whenever I'm traveling or need that extra little bit of protection for my phone. I think you're good to go either way but if you want good protection with not too much bulk, the Candyshell or an OB Impact might be what you want to look into.

19. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

totally guys, I like the handyshell I'm just a bit concerned how my phone will look after my first real drop, you know? and I have a problem with otterbox cause I really dont want to have to bust out the screen protector on it to decrease the chances of scratches.

hmmm

20. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

You may also want to take a look at the Otterbox Commuter which is a nice medium between the Candyshell & Defender.

21. mrkjsn macrumors 6502

Otterbox is hideous. Only reason I would rock it is for pure necessity - like if I worked at a construction site or spend a lot of time trekking the outdoors.

22. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

It should. The silicone and plastic mix should help absorb shock, and so should the silicone on every edge.
    That's what this is for! :D

[​IMG]
    It should be fine. It actually should absorb shock more than the Otterbox, actually.

23. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

Otterbox .. you can get one off ebay for chump change now. :D Aweome case though, very purpose built