Cannot access 1 web site

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iamtheone, Aug 23, 2007.

1. iamtheone macrumors newbie

Hi all I have what I believe to be a MDD MAC desktop. Its running MAC OSX 10.4.10. Recently I have been unable to go to one of my favorite web sites.

www.bostonreefers.org

I've tried Safari, IE, and Mozilla all with no luck. all of them just never connect to the site.

If I plug my Windows laptop it works fine.

I can't ping it from the Network Utility application in OSX or from my router which is a Verizon Actiontech. If I do a trace-route it stops at Conversant..

Again If I use my laptop weather pluged in thru ethernet or thru wireless I can get there just fine which leads me to believe its a MAC problem.

I looked in the Network in System preferences and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

Anyone have any ideas???????

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I can get there with Safari on my machine... Create a new user account in System Preferences and see if that works for you. :)

3. iamtheone thread starter macrumors newbie

tried that with no luck

its really frustrating

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I can access fine. The code for the page looks normal enough. I'd suggest trying to delete and cookies for that site and also maybe cleaning up your browser cache.

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Since he can't ping it and Traceroute fails too, it's not browser-related at all, so cookies or caches won't make any difference.

Here's my guess, since I've seen something similar happen once or twice before. If there were some DNS or server changes related to the domain in question, it's possible that your Mac could have cached (somewhere--I forget where in the OS this is handled) the wrong IP address for that domain, and it isn't properly refreshing the info.

I saw this once or twice where the "wrong version" of a site would be loading.

Try this:

http://216.235.242.29

That's what the domain is currently resolving to, so see if you can get to the site directly that way--works for me right now, at least. If so, then that points to it being internal DNS caching of some sort.

A very quick Google search turned up this:

http://www.inertramblings.com/2004/05/11/mac-os-x-clearing-dns-cache

...which sounds like it's your issue. Try this terminal command and see if it helps:

lookupd -flushcache

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Very clever Makosuke, nice work. I would've thought this information wouldn't carry across user accounts though. I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

7. iamtheone thread starter macrumors newbie

I was away.

I tried that terminal command. It did nothing. litterally nothing. it just went to a new line and waited for a command.

I also tried that sudo command located in that link with no luck

I also tried MacJanitor and System Optimizer X. needless to say.......

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

Actually, I think that's all its supposed to do--there's no feedback I'm aware of with the -flushcache command.

But if it didn't fix the problem (I assume you checked), then either there's something else going on, or you're correct and it didn't do anything (logging seems to be turned off in Tiger client by default, so there's no easy way I'm aware of to check).

Question: Did you try this link?

http://216.235.242.29/

If that works at getting you to the site, at least it points to SOMETHING...

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Terminal commands do not give you feedback normally. They just execute and wait for a new command. Therefore it probably did do something it just didn't tell you about it.

10. iamtheone thread starter macrumors newbie

Makosuke, I tried that link with just the IP address and still nothing

I'm thinking I may do a complete back up of my system and then do a system restore

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

Ok, if the direct IP address gets you nothing, I have absolutely no clue whatsoever. I can imagine a situation where one particular browser could be having major issues that rendered it unable to view some particular site, but I can't think of anything systemwide that would prevent you from directly connecting to an IP address as you seem to be seeing with multiple browsers, pings, and traceroutes.

The IP address should bypass basically anything. I would blame your router or ISP for doing something wacky, but then I don't see why your Windows computer would be fine.

Unless... I assume if you try the same site on your Windows box with a different browser it still works. That is, I could imagine an (admittedly wildly unlikely situation) where your Windows browser had cached the page, so when it became unavailable to your local network (because of LAN or ISP issues) it kept displaying the cached version that makes it appear fine, while the Mac goes looking for a fresh copy and can't get to the site.

That's basically the only thing I can imagine that would do what you're describing.

Well, hope a reinstall fixes it.

12. iamtheone thread starter macrumors newbie

the back up begins tonight.

I know I should have but I've never done a back up b4.

Any recomedations?

13. Makosuke macrumors 603

I take it that means that you couldn't get to the site via that IP address, and it does work on a different Windows browser.

In your case, I'd use CarbonCopyCloner (free) to clone your Mac's startup drive to an external, then wipe the internal drive, install the OS from scratch, then try it and see if it's fixed. If so, THEN use the Migration assistant to bring your users over from the cloned copy, and see if it still works.

This'll factor out any imported settings screwup that would re-cause the problem.

I suppose you could also do an "Arcive and Install" WITHOUT checking the "Preserve users" box (you should still back up to be safe), which would do the same thing, except you could reimport the users from the internal drive.

Regular Archive and Install may just bring over whatever setting is causing the problem, so that's probably a bad idea.

Good luck--I'm curious if that will end up solving the problem, so please post if it works.

14. iamtheone thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i plan to back up soon

Any recomendations?

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Makosuke kindly recommended cloning your internal drive to an external one. I guess we should ask what you're backing up to before we give any more specific advice. Are you backing up to a network drive, external drive, optical media?...

16. iamtheone thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I did the reinstall of my OS and still the same thing. Can't get there. My friends and I are stumpped.

Now every time I want to go to that site I have to go and use my PC. I guess in the over all picture its not sich a big deal but the fact that I can't figure out how to fix it is the frustrating part.

17. Makosuke macrumors 603

Wow, that's truly baffling. I assume you gave it a shot with a completely "clean" OS install before moving your settings over, in which case that completely rules out a software issue. And it's obviously not "just" the MacOS, since it's fine from other 10.4.10 machines.

I did a bit more poking out of curiosity, and I realized that it's just not set up to respond to pings, which is why the traceroute is timing out after conversent.net. That doesn't (I think) have anything to do with your issue. It was apparently previously running the built-in webserver on Win2K, and some time more recently was switched to Apache on Windows (again, I think).

And again, that doesn't point to anything out of the ordinary, although that may explain why it's not set up to respond to pings.

I'm left thinking it's got to be a router issue of some sort, but I fail to see how that would effect just one particular computer on the network.

18. MK2007 macrumors regular

There are still plenty of things to try.

To begin with, it sounds like you are using the desktop Mac with a wired connection.

1) Power cycle your network hardware -- modem and router. Then try again.

If that fails...

2) Turn on the AirPort and see if you can reach the site using your network connection via wireless.

If that fails...

3) Try to connect through a neighbor's wireless router.

If that fails...

Return to this forum and we'll give you more troubleshooting advice.

19. iamtheone thread starter macrumors newbie

I really appreciate all your help with this matter.

Yes you're right, I did a tracert from my PC and it stops at the same place.

I will power cycle and reset the network hardware and let u know.

I do not have a wireless connection for my desktop so I can't try a neighbors router, but I will change the ethernet port I use on my router.

20. l33r0y macrumors 6502

From the Terminal, see if you get any kind of response if you telnet to the website on port 80 (I've not got a mac yet, so I assume this is possible - someone correct me if I'm wrong)

> telnet www.bostonreefers.org 80

or

> telnet 216.235.242.29 80

Note that any response also includes the terminal window being cleared and showing a blank screen with a flashing cursor. By pressing return a few times, you may see some garbage/text showing HTTP tags and server responses - this is an indication you have reached the remote web server okay.

On the other hand, if you are getting a telnet connection error message, this means your not reaching the server.

Also, in order to verify DNS is working, you should perform a nameserver lookup on the www.bostonreefers.org name. What is this in MacOS?

> host www.bostonreefers.org ?
    > dig www.bostonreefers.org ?

L.

21. iamtheone thread starter macrumors newbie

So here is what I did tonight.

I reset the router, unpluged the AC and tried a different port..no luck.

I pluged my PC laptop directly into the router while the wireless was disabled and no problems.

I disconnected the router and plugged my MAC directly into my modem..no problem.

Conclusion I can't get to 1 web site (that I know of) with my MAC thru this router.

I tried 216.235.242.121 and .28 just for the heck of it and they worked.

For some reason the web site does not like my MAC with my router.

22. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Okay - I just ran across this thread and started testing some stuff on my system. Would you try something and post the results? Using Safari, you can open a window showing the activity involved in loading a web site, etc. Click on Window - then Activity. BTW, it appears that they have a firewall blocking pings and traceroutes, so you won't get much info that way. Web sites should at least allow a traceroute.

Once the new window is open, attempt to go to the bostonreefers site. Do you get anything at all? Please post the results.

I'll have one more test that was mentioned earlier if this gets you nowhere.

Also - above you mention that you used Safari, IE and Mozilla. What version of IE do you have on a mac running 10.4.10?

23. l33r0y macrumors 6502

Sounds to me like a DNS name resolution issue to me.

Try adding entries into your local hosts file.

24. iamtheone thread starter macrumors newbie

mac-convert

When I try to get to the site it says "loading" in the status tab. When I do window>activity it says "0 of 1 item" with the sub menu saying "0 bytes of ?"

133r0y

I used terminal with telnet www.bostonreefers.org 80 and it said I was connected

I have no idea what this means or how to do it. I also dont know how to add a site to the local host file.

IE is ver 5.2.2 I never use it

25. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Okay, back to the terminal command. You say it tells you that you are connected. What this is doing, if you aren't aware, is connecting to the web site on port 80, which is http. There should have been some output from this and then a blinking cursor - something like this.

my-computer:~ username$ telnet www.bostonreefers.org 80
    Trying 216.235.242.29...
    Connected to www.bostonreefers.org.
    Escape character is '^]'.

If this is what you see, then enter the command GET and press ENTER. If you are connected, you will see the html scroll past that would normally be interpreted by a browser and then displayed. And - if you see this, then we can localize the problem to your browser. If not, then it's a system problem.