Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Setup my 13 Mini last night but it won't activate. The first time through it gave me an immediate error, than the option to try again, which I did. No error that time, but when all was said and done, I started to get little popups that say it's not activated when I wake the phone.

Per a post here, I made sure I had Find My turned off on the old phone prior to the swap.

Also per a post here, I called the number provided, but it tells me it doesn't see any new phone orders on my account, tries to transfer me to a person, which then fails as they are not open.

I found something about scanning a barcode but have no idea where the barcode would be (have also realized I was never emailed a receipt for my order so need to rectify that too)

Options? After spending 7 hours dealing with Verizon on a botched pre-order, going back there does not sound appealing! Love the phone, but it does need to be a phone at some point!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Go back to Verizon. This is totally on them. I'm sorry you might not have a working phone until Monday, but there is probably nothing you can do until they open, unless you want to work some more with phone support.

Reactions: diane143

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Go back to Verizon. This is totally on them. I'm sorry you might not have a working phone until Monday, but there is probably nothing you can do until they open, unless you want to work some more with phone support.

Bummer! But I am phone-supported out. They are open today but maybe I'll just turn off the SE (which still works) and be off grid :D

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I spent an hour on the phone with AT&T last night. Most people have no problems, but for those of us who do, they eventually get worked out.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I read that thread last night. Verizon told me my phone came with a new sim because of 5G and I wouldn't have to move anything over. I also bought the phone from the Verizon store so there should be no question that it's the correct sim

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I read that thread last night. Verizon told me my phone came with a new sim because of 5G and I wouldn't have to move anything over. I also bought the phone from the Verizon store so there should be no question that it's the correct sim
Given this new information, it is clear you are dealing with a lot of incompetence at Verizon. Hopefully, you can call back and speak to someone that isn't a regular customer service rep.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Given this new information, it is clear you are dealing with a lot of incompetence at Verizon. Hopefully, you can call back and speak to someone that isn't a regular customer service rep.

It's been a rough week! I don't think I can deal with another hour on the phone so I'll probably try the store first.

I have never had setup issues with new phones before. :(

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Also, my voicemails aren't in the new phone but I'm assuming they'll all come over once the activation goes through?

SupremeMayo

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2021
It's not just you, a lot of customers at the Apple Store were having issues activating their new iPhone 13's, and the overwhelming majority had Verizon as their carrier.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I'm up and running! We have no idea what happened. This started with my pre-order that got messed up and canceled, then I went to the store Friday to physically walk out with the phone and ipad. Except, even though I got a receipt (again), nothing went through. I essentially had a 13 Mini, new iPad and accessories that I hadn't paid for and that didn't show up on my account because the system thought they were pre-orders again. None of my items came out of inventory. So we had to ring me out again (THIRD TIME). Took a couple of times to kick the activation over but it's finally working. I expect my bill will be a royal mess for a couple of months. Last week one of the phone reps told me they'd removed the activation fee and I will make sure that happens. Thankfully I got the same lady today as Friday and she was awesome. She said she had a number of orders Friday that printed pre-order receipts like mine did, so there may be more coming in with activation issues. Soooo glad I am not in retail anymore!

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Hey all, I was able to get mine activated. Here's what you need to do:

1. I set mine up through an iTunes restore, so it was fully synced but had no cell service.
2. Turn off "Find my iPhone" on your old phone, then power it off.
3. Call 1.877.807.4646 - I used my wife's phone to do this.
4. Confirm that you want your new device activated.

That's it! Good luck.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Hey all, I was able to get mine activated. Here's what you need to do:

1. I set mine up through an iTunes restore, so it was fully synced but had no cell service.
2. Turn off "Find my iPhone" on your old phone, then power it off.
3. Call 1.877.807.4646 - I used my wife's phone to do this.
4. Confirm that you want your new device activated.

That's it! Good luck.
This didn't work for me as the phone didn't show up in my account. I tried it Saturday and Verizon tried it today.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Ah bummer, sorry to hear that. Where did you order from? Mine was ordered through Apple.
Directly from the Verizon store. It's been a huge cluster since the pre-order opened. Every time they touch something, my bill gets higher and higher. I still have a mystery iPad waiting for me to accept terms & conditions. I can't even cancel it so I will have to call.... again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.