Cannot backup to Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chainprayer, Sep 6, 2009.

1. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

Hello! I have a Time Machine that is only used for me. I have never been able to create a backup on this device. It tells me that the backup volume could not be created. I have all the permissions properly set as well.

I can use it for internet access and can even store files on the drive.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Was it initialized using Leopard? If not, it might be missing a hidden file which tells Leopard the drive is available for Time Machine.

(I assume it's not partitioned using MBR, and the volume is formatted HFS+ journaled.)

3. chainprayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes. It's actually for my grandpa's computer. He got a new laptop and time capsule but we could never get it to back up.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Does the computer have a name in Sharing preferences?

5. chainprayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, he has full access. He can even access the drive through finder and use it for storage as well.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Is he running the latest version of Leopard, or at least 10.5.2? Networked Time Machine backups weren't supported until that version.

7. chainprayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

All software and time capsule firmware are up to date :/ first thing i checked...

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Going back to JediMaster's question. I believe you can mount and use the TC even without a computer name, so verify the box in System Preferences > Sharing is not empty ("Computer Name").

Also, if you do have a name, make sure it doesn't contain any special characters.

9. chainprayer thread starter macrumors 6502a