CANNOT decide whether to get refurb macbook pro or new macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mrmayor92, Nov 7, 2008.

1. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

i will be doing some photoshop work with whichever laptop i buy and i cannooooott decide on what i want :confused:

they are almost the same price and its driving me INSANE

what should i do????

2. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

MBP
    -Bigger and better screen (go matte, especially if you're going to be doing Photoshop work)
    -more powerful

MB
    -lighter, more portable
    -"latest and greatest"
    -but, smaller and horrible glossy screen

you decide

4. JC0205 macrumors newbie

But the old Macbook Pros have the defective 8600 gt GPU.... I am on the same boat as you. I like the old MBP design and screen size but the defect is a deal breaker. I might just settle with the new macbook...

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If the price is exactly the same, then the newer macbook is probably the better deal.

It offers you hardware that is more up-to-date, lighter, and all around better equipped for the long term.

If the minor differences like Firewire and the glossy (or matte) screen are important to you, go for the Pro. If they're not, go with the new macbook.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

New MacBook, you will love it

7. rkrskr macrumors newbie

I'm in the same situation as you, and have to decide between an old MBP and the new MB Unibody. I have decided that the MB is better, as I don't wish to have a time-bomb in the form of a faulty 8600M GT graphics chip.

8. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Id go pro.

Unless you want---need to have the latest and greatest gadget.

9. Philflow macrumors 65816

Go look at the screens. They're very different.

10. scottintosh macrumors member

I had the new MB.. but upgraded to the new MBP because the screen that comes on the macbooks are embarrassing. They are not bad screens--if they were on an 8 or 9 hundred dollar laptop.. but for 1200-1600, the screen should be amazing.

People say the MBs are "consumer" laptops, but for $1200-$1600 their should be no compromises ..

if i were you, I would go pro.

11. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Go pro. I jumped from the 13.3 macbook just recently to a 15.4 pro. Crazy difference, especially in the screen.

However the trade off is portability. Not much weight, but the size of the MBP is definitely larger. Just depends on what you need it for and if the size is justified.

12. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I actually have both the late 2007 MBP and the new MB. I have no issues with the Nvidia GPU on my MBP and its an excellent machine. The matte screen is gorgeous.

However the unibody MB is really nice, the screen is not as good but it is still a good screen and the MB feels so solid. i have not run any performance tests between them but the 2.0 Ghz MB with the new GPU feels very fast with only 2GB of ram, as a matter of fact it "feels" as fast as my MBP.

13. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

is portability your main concern? probably nto or else you'd probably be looking at the air, since it's not i woul say go for the PRo

14. minky1234 macrumors newbie

15. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If I were in your shoes, I would get the Pro. It's more computer for the same price.

16. SILENTMAC macrumors newbie

I recently bought my first Mac and had this same dilemma between refurb old pro or new Macbook...

My reasons for buying the new Aluminum Macbook 2.0Ghz from the point of view of a Windows/Linux user who's favorite laptop line has always been T series Thinkpads:

Refurb MacBook Pro:
    -Known Defective GPU, Apple has extended warranty to 2 years but no recall and no indication that if they replace your logic board you will have a non time bomb 8600GT (although you could gamble that if it fails in two years they will give you a current Macbook Pro).
    -Replacing Hard Drive in Macbook Pro is difficult and is not considered user replaceable.

New Macbook:
    -The new macbook (just like every other Mac) is overpriced for its specs (CPU/RAM/HDD/Mediocre screen). This is not obvious if you consider MSRP prices on PC's but unlike Apple hardware which goes on sale for $50 off on boxing day, PC hardware is always on sale and you don't need to pay anything near MSRP.

However I think the new Macbook has some unique qualities worth the price:
    -The new unibody is really awesome, the laptop is extremely solid with no flex. It really feels like a premium machine.
    -The huge trackpad. As i mentioned earlier I love Thinkpads and the little red nub in the keyboard and have always hated trackpads. The new trackpad is huge which makes it much nicer than older styles. Also since the trackpad can sense where you are clicking the lower right hand corner can be used to right click. This is a huge feature if you happen to think that one mouse button is simply not enough. (Correct me if I'm wrong but the button on the old Mac Laptops was just a single button, so no right click without pressing command?)
    -Noise and Heat-the new Macbook is amazing. This feature alone is a huge deal if you care about how much noise your laptop makes. From what I've read the old Macbook pro's had heat issues.
    -9400M chipset is really nice for power consumption and 3D performance. This isn't a unique feature since it will be in PC laptops in the next few weeks.

-These are the unique things that I don't think will be duplicated in the PC world for a while and make the price worthwhile.

Another line of reasoning for buying aluminum Macbook is that it is a slim and portable at 13". In the real world (not the Mac World), laptops that are small and portable generally cost more than the the bigger laptops. If Mac's where priced like Sony's you would pay more for the portable Macbook over the Macbook Pro. An example is the horrendous price of the 17" Macbook Pro's. They start near $3000, meanwhile I've picked up a well equipped 17" HP laptop for $750 from a retail store.

I just wish that HP or anyone other than Apple could have made these laptops (I don't consider OS X to be a huge plus), then I could have nice aluminum laptop for under a thousand dollars when they inevitably go on clearance after a few months.