Cannot get 4k@60Hz on 2018 MBPr

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Glems, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Glems macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have bought a 4k / 60Hz display a couple weeks ago. I am using it with my Macbook Pro. I can get it running in 4k, but it is stuck to 30Hz which is quite frustrating.

My setup :
    Is this normal? Is there anything I could do to get 60Hz?

Thanks!

2. apb87 macrumors member

Try holding "option" while clicking the displays button. That should enable more resolution and refresh rate options.

3. Kaani macrumors newbie

4. CrysisDeu macrumors newbie

I am quite sure HDMI will not work, but DP should work though. I am using uk850 and dp works.

5. cynics macrumors G4

Find in your monitor settings something called "HDMI UHD colors" "HDMI Ultra deep colors" or something similar to that maybe even "HDMI HDR color". Its typically an option that is enabled/disabled on an HDMI port to port basis.

This setting is defaulted off for compatibility and only applies to HDMI. But basically 4k60hz w/ 10 bit color exceeds the default bandwidth limitations so you need to tell the monitor what the input is.

See if that helps.

EDIT: did some digging on LG's site, called it with the HDMI Ultra Deep Colors"! Lol....

Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 12.21.00 AM.png

Note the very last option. Once it detects it you shouldn't even need to set it, it will use the 60hz refresh rate. My Samsung TV was the same way "HDMI UHD Colors"