Cannot get Win 7 to install

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by chetzar, Jan 5, 2014.

1. chetzar macrumors newbie

I cannot, for the life of me, get Windows 7 installed on my MacBook. If I use the Bootcamp partition it won't install windows to the selected drive. If I create a partition with Disk Utility I have no mouse and keyboard at the start of the installation. I'm trying to install from a USB 2.0 Flash Drive (Late 2013 rMBP with 750m).
    Any suggestions?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Why won't it install Windows on the selected drive? Did you format [using Windows' installer] the BootCamp partition you just created?

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Windows will only install to the primary internal SATA drive.

4. chetzar thread starter macrumors newbie

If I create the partition with Disk Utility I cannot even get past the Language Selection Screen due to no keyboard/trackpad.

If I create the partition with Bootcamp I have Keyboard/Trackpad however it will not install on "Disk 4" (BOOTCAMP) because it is not a NTFS partition.

If I format the BOOTCAMP partition from the Windows 7 installer (to make it a NTFS partition) Win 7 says it still cannot be installed on this drive because it says the selected drive is not compatible with Windows.

Also Im installing to the internal HDD, I'm using the USB drive as the bootable Win 7 installer.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Do a screen cap while in drive utility and post it.

6. VI™ macrumors 6502a

The new MBPs have something with the Win 7 install drivers where the only way to get the mouse and keyboard to work is to let the boot camp assistant reboot the computer after partitioning the drive.

From there, are you formatting the Bootcamp partition? When it shows the partition, select the boot camp partition and select advanced and then format that partition. It will let you install then.

7. chetzar thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the procedure I used probably 30 times, and the last time I tried it, it worked. Trackpad/Keyboard work, Screen Resolution is full size etc.

8. VI™ macrumors 6502a

You sure? Because I know for a fact that if you reboot the machine on your own and use the boot device selection to boot in to the Windows install disk it won't work.

USB 3.0 sticks aren't recognized either. I had to get a 2.0 for mine.

Also, OS X will partition off the space, but it appears that it doesn't do so in NTFS so that Windows can't use the partition unless it formats it to a viable file system.

I'm glad you got it working though. It took me a couple hours of trial and error along with web searches to figure out the correct order to do the steps in to get it working correctly.