Cannot Move Mail in Mail.app between Accounts

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by tekfranz, Jan 3, 2018.

1. tekfranz macrumors member

I have connected both iCloud, Yahoo Mail and an Archival V5 MBOX Mailboxes to Mac Mail.
    I am trying to migrate old emails iCloud to Yahoo Mail for its unlimited storage.

However the when I tell a group of messages to move to the new Mail Box Mail.app acts like it is preparing for the move but the messages actually never get moved.
    It doesn't matter if I highlight them and select Move or Drag and Drop Them.

This seems like a serious bug in Mail.app.

Anyone have any ideas or workarounds? I am going to try AirMail in the meantime and their Message "Cloning" feature which can move emails between Mailboxes.
    I would have done the migration via Outlook and a PST file but the mail I need is in the Archival MBOX .emlx file type.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Can you make the same move in the other direction (as a test)? I don't know if Yahoo email is particular about it, but some providers don't like being bombarded with activity.

3. tekfranz thread starter macrumors member

Yes that is a good point. It would seem like i should be able to add messages to an iMap folder without it needing to make calls to the mail server but maybe it is restricted in some way.

It has been a bit of a challenge migrating between the two Mailboxes even in AirMail, but AirMail seems to be doing well at it.Here is what the process looks like in AirMail:
    http://docs.airmailapp.com/airmail-for-mac/rules-in-airmail-airmail-for-macos
    You actually use Mail rules to migrate Previous Messages.

Hopefully Apple fixes moving Mail Messages in the Mail App.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

When you move the message to an IMAP folder of a different account using any client the message has to be uploaded to the server.

5. tekfranz thread starter macrumors member

You know you might be right about each message needing to be uploaded. AirMail sped the copy up and then upgrading to Yahoo Mail Plus helped even more....

Only question I have is if I do the same procedure in Outlook it takes very little time to move large amounts of messages between accounts...maybe Outlook just makes a cache them somewhere and then upload them because the copy in Microsoft Outlook happens almost instantly in some cases.