"Cannot Restore from Backup" error

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DiamondGCoupe, Sep 16, 2016.

1. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

Have downloaded by backup twice now and each time it says "Cannot Restore from backup" has anyone else experienced this issued? I am trying to see if this is an issue for anyone else, I have never experienced this with any other iPhone.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 16, 2016 ---
    Now the forums show similar threads, seems to be an issue. Will update my back-up from iPhone 6S and see if that helps.

2. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

I'm having the same issue... I've tried restoring phone in iTunes and trying iCloud restore again... no dice. I've tried different iCloud backups, none seem to work. When I turned my 7 on for the first time if made me do a software update before I could even restore... not sure if that had anything to do with it. I had another 7 plus that didn't prompt for the update and the iCloud restore from that phone worked fine... I'm hating the IUP process at this point since I don't even have my old phone to work with :(

3. kjotwani macrumors regular

Just curious. Was ur 6s backup made using 9.x and u are restoring to 7 with 10.x?

4. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

nope, 6s was updated to ios10 before backup

5. kjotwani macrumors regular

DFU the 7 and then try using one of the backups

6. Gypsy36 macrumors regular

Was the 6s on 10 and the new phone on 10.0.1?

7. RedOrchestra Suspended

Shouldn't make any difference. I did a Restore From Backup where the 6 backup was 9.3.5 and the 7 was 10.0.1.

8. Gypsy36 macrumors regular

It shouldn't but I was at my carrier yesterday and that was the error message they received when trying to transfer over my contacts.

9. RedOrchestra Suspended

Rogers?

10. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

This is what i've been trying to do, Is recovery mode different than DFU? I'm doing the power button, lower volume button thing, but seems more finicky than the other phones.

11. Gypsy36 macrumors regular

12. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

13. RedOrchestra Suspended

Sounds like a visit to your local Apple Store may be in your future

14. Whogie macrumors newbie

Whogie

I'm hitting this too. DFU does nothing. Can't even restore to my previous iPhone. It's looking like my backup's inaccessible.

Hmm, maybe I mistook DFU for something else. Going to try again.

15. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

What version itunes are you guys using? Is it the latest 12.5 that was released on Wednesday?

16. Whogie, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

Whogie macrumors newbie

Whogie

iTunes is up-to-date (12.5.1.21). Trying to do iCloud update, for the record. Too late to make an iTunes backup.

DFU (black screen) made no difference.

17. hubieonekanubie macrumors regular

hubieonekanubie

I dealt with it all day yesterday, finally gave up. None of the solutions worked for me. For fun, I did an icloud b/u of the 7 plus, reset the phone and it restored fine. Just the 6s Plus backups will not work. Only solution I can think of is get a 6s plus, restore that, b/u on a computer and restore the 7 plus from that. No 6s available, traded in on aup, and our spare 5s doesnt have enough memory.

18. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

--- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2016 ---
    This was my exact fear with the IUP, but I kept telling myself "no, no.. everything will be just fine" :rolleyes: I hate not having my old phone until I know everything transferred over to my new one.

19. kjotwani macrumors regular

Well what I did was with iUP. Went in store. Told I wanna purchase it outright. Came home. Had both phones. Restored and verified everything on new phone is fine. Went back to store and asked that I wanna buy the same new phone on iUP. So they processed the full return and gave me same phone on iUP and I returned my old phone then.

A bit of a chore but at least had my old phones in case of backup issues

Next year for iUP I hope Apple allows the old phones to be returned within 14 days of receiving the new phones so people can backup and ensure everything is fine

20. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

I have a genius bar appointment in 1 1/2 hours. I'll let you know how it turns out.

21. Whogie macrumors newbie

Whogie

gl, earliest windows was Tuesday for me.
    I'm starting to just rebuild my phone life though. Restoring 2-factor auth is going to suck.

22. McPhallus macrumors regular

Not sure if this is the same issue, but I got a similar restore failure message when going from the 6s+ to the 7+. iTunes forced me to update the software, which apparently made the backup I made a few hours earlier unusable. It also made it impossible for me to make a new backup (iPhone kept disconnecting from the computer).

Turns out I had to rename and move the backup files in the install folder, make a new backup of the 6s, then restore again.

Then I had the dreaded camera roll out of order problem. I fixed that by repeating the process of deleting the old backup file then making a new one, then restoring the backup to the 7 after flashing to 10.0.1.

Last year I spent days trying to fix the camera roll problem. These upgrades used to be easy, but they've gotten so problematic in recent years that I doubt I'll ever participate in an upgrade program requiring a trade-in.

23. Vell843 macrumors regular

Vell843

Ok glad to see I am not the only one that ran into this problem. I have a 6 that was running the latest version of iOS 10 with my iCloud back up of 4:34am on 9/16 and when I got my iPhone 7 from carrier in store and was able to attempt to iCloud restore at about 9:30am I got the same error. I was reading on a site that the phones when manufacturered in China that they were loaded with iOS 10 and then earlier this week iOS 10.0.1 was released to public and that's what's causing the error. I guess the different versions of the iOS are enough to cause that error. I think I have tried everything mentioned in the thread with no luck for me. I just set up as a new phone' my contracts still transferred over but not my pics, music, and apps. I just downloaded the content transfer app (VZW) and transferred my pics from my 6 to my 7, it actually worked really well (besides them being out of order). And of course I just redownloaded my music and apps from the cloud.

24. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

I'm back from my appointment. They couldn't do anything. They didn't think my backup files were corrupt since there were 3 different ones that all failed. They are ordering me a new phone and will call me when it's in. In the mean time I am going to contact iCloud support (which would be the next step anyway) to have them verify that my backups are ok so that when I go in for my new phone, if it happens again I will know if they are the issue or not.

If it's a problem with software version, then if you restore through iTunes to the latest iOS version, that should fix the problem then, but it didn't for me.

This is a pain in the butt. If they don't adjust the IUP process next year, I am not leaving the store or erasing my old phone and handing it over until the new one is restored.