Cannot SSH after untethered 5.0.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by leekaiwei, Dec 27, 2011.

1. leekaiwei macrumors member

leekaiwei

Pretty much as the title states. I've tried using FileZilla but it says connection refused. Just to make sure it wasn't FileZilla not working, I tried with OS X's built in SSH through the terminal but I was give the same message. Yes I have installed OpenSSH through Cydia and have rebooted a number of times.

2. Alveezy macrumors regular

I have OpenSSH on mine and i use Terminal to SSH through my Phone via Mac. I even changed my su root password and mobile password if i may add.

3. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat, good to hear it isn't just me.

I also noticed that the toggle doesn't really work in the SBSettings panel.

Seems there are still some significant bugs in this untether.

4. ReddestDream, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

ReddestDream macrumors member

Toggles . . .

eekaiwei, are you using the SBSettings SSH toggle? I've had problems with SSH using the toggle. I can turn it off (after the phone restarts, which reactivates SSH), but I can't turn it back on with the toggle. The toggle just resets to off every time I flip it . . . It worked just fine on the tethered 5.0.1 jailbreak . . . :(

I'm not sure if this is your problem, but, if it is, I'm pretty sure it's an SBSettings toggle thing and not an OpenSSH thing. I can enable/disable OpenSSH manually using MobileTerminal, but it's not as convenient as a toggle . . . :(

Edit: Same problem as you WordMasterRice . . . I think it's just a bug with SBSettings and the toggle . . . :(

5. leekaiwei thread starter macrumors member

leekaiwei

Back when I still had SBSettings (still untethered 5.0.1), toggling SSH seemed to turn the button on and off but whether it turned SSH on or off I wasn't sure but either way I couldn't SSH into it. After running out of ideas I did a full wipe and so I've yet to install SBSettings since I can't access BigBoss as Cydia seems to be being hammered. Whether this is an SBSettings problem, I'll report back once I reinstall it.

6. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

So does it work for you without SBSettings?

7. ReddestDream macrumors member

Oh, SSH works on 5.0.1 untethered (at least on the Verizon iPhone 4) . . . You just either have to leave it on all the time or turn it off and restart when you want to turn it on . . . It's an inconvenience more than anything! ^_^

8. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

Well it doesn't work for me period so that can't be the only thing.

9. manishd3 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I can't get SSH to work after the untethered 5.0.1 JB either. Thought it was just me but after reading all your comments seems to me like something bigger is going on.

I'm using WinSCP btw. Not sure how to do it on terminal. Also I don't have SBsettings installed as I can't get to bigboss repo as Cydia is being hammered!

10. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I can ssh just fine. I used the cydia patch to untether on 5.0.1.

11. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

At this point I don't think that the specific app that you use makes any difference, putty, terminal, winscp, cyberduck all do it the same.

12. ReddestDream macrumors member

Oh, Wow . . . Sorry . . . :(

Can you scan the device's ports with netstat, Network Utility, or something like that to see if port 22 is visible? It may be that something else is conflicting with or blocking the SSH port. Without OpenSSH (or with it turned off in SBSettings), an iOS's device's port 22 is invisible to port scans. If OpenSSH is the problem, you won't see that port. If something else is afoot, you'll see port 22 even though the connection is refused.

Hope this Helps! ;)

13. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I don't think it has anything to do with port conflicts. It worked before the untether and it doesn't now.

We'll see what happens going forward.

14. leekaiwei thread starter macrumors member

leekaiwei

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

No it still doesn't work without SBSettings.

15. ReddestDream macrumors member

That's the spirit! ^_^

I know there's work being done to fix the iBooks problems and several high-profile apps (e.g., iFile, My3G, TruPrint) have problems with this untether too, so we'll likely see a ton of fixes in the very near future! ^_^

Odd . . . :( This is the first thread I've found on a number of sites that even mentions any problem with SSH at all . . . Sorry . . . I thought I might've been able to help . . . :(

16. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

Anyone that has had this problem (or even if you haven't) jump on Cydia and update the untether. It definitely was a problem with the untether, Saurik tweeted that it was killing launchctl which is what starts openssh (among other things). It has since been patched to 1.0-2 and it fixes the problem.

17. ReddestDream macrumors member

. . . And

. . . And 1.0-3 will patch over RedSn0w if you used that like I did! ^_^

I just tried it, and it fixed my problem too!

18. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

having the same issue since yesterday too. Have tried accessing through cyberduck and terminal. Have been jailbreaking since the original iphone and have never run into this issue using OpenSSH

19. tdallenkk macrumors newbie

This might Help

See saurik's tweets - you might have run into a launchctl issue. First try rebooting, and see what happens. Then try installing Corona untether from Cydia (yes, on top of your existing untether), reboot, and let us know if that helps.

OK Just verified it worked for me

20. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

for me, turning ssh off then back on (in sbsettings), and rebooting the phone got me in (had to change settings in cyberduck as well, i.e. ip address...)

21. ReddestDream macrumors member

Same thing with me . . . Just install Corona 1.0-3 or use redsn0w 0.9.10b2 to fix everything! ^_^

22. leekaiwei thread starter macrumors member

leekaiwei

I've installed the update but it still didn't work. I then installed SBSettings and tried toggling it. Once it was off I couldn't turn it back on.

23. ReddestDream macrumors member

Odd . . . It worked for me . . . I'm not sure how to help . . . Sorry! :(

24. femin macrumors newbie

rejailbreaked with the latest redsn0w. openssh still doesn't work....why??

25. PoindexterSS macrumors member

I had this problem also. All I did was rest my network settings, allowed the phone to reboot and problem was solved. Maybe this will work for you all.