Cannot Switch graphics on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by powerbuddy, Mar 8, 2009.

1. powerbuddy macrumors 6502

I just got home a 2.4 Ghz MBP. I restored the HDD with a time machine backup from my older Macbook(2.0 Ghz White). When I get into System Preferences I cannot seem to see the option for the graphics performance anymore. Is there any way to bring that option back? :confused:

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You probably need to restore the MBP from the DVD that came with it, then migrate from the old machine. (you can connect the MacBook using Firewire Target Disk mode, or you can hook up your Time Machine drive and migrate from it)

The factory build (which came with my 17" UB) for 10.5.6 is "9G2141". The 10.5.6, from updates, is "9G55" - it doesn't have the correct Energy Saver pref pane, or the correct "Color LCD" display color profile. (probably other changes in the build, but these are the two glaring differences).

3. kolax macrumors G3

I'd reinstall everything and start fresh. I find migrating etc a bad idea and causes problems.

Fresh install, install everything again manually and then set it up the way you want. It'll only take a few hours - not much when it saves you the headaches from migrating.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Migration is still a fresh OS install. When you have hundreds of apps (I have some going back all the way to 2001. 1986 and OS 3.2, if you count the Mac Plus emulator), reinstalling them becomes cumbersome, to say the least. Migrate first, then if you have an issue with an app, you can always reinstall (or delete the prefs, app support, and app manualy, and reinstall). I usually still need to reenter some serial numbers, but it's still much faster than reinstalls.

OP - you have to do what you feel is the best for you, though. If you only have iLife and a couple of the major apps (Office, Adobe CS), then the difference in effort is less significant.

5. powerbuddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes thank you gr8fly. I did not know the build on the retail DVD and the install disc was different. I migrated my home folder and apps, and everything is working great!! ;)