Cannot wake MBP from sleep overnight - 2015 15" Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by James.K.Polk, Jan 30, 2017.

1. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

Since the newest update (10.12.3) I've had trouble waking my computer from sleep overnight. During the day it's no problem, so it must be something about the duration that it's out?

When I lift the lid, it's a black but backlit screen (and the logo is glowing on the back) and I'm unable to change that without cold booting it. I'd say this has happened 60% of the nights since updating.

Anyone else having these problems? Any tips?

2. deany macrumors 68030

deany

3. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tried this, and an SMC reset, this morning. Hopefully this fixes the issue moving forward - it never happened (save occasionally when plugged into an external display) in the past.

4. deany macrumors 68030

deany

mine was doing this on Sierra plugged to a 4K Samsung monitor

I was also leaving a spare phone (android) plugged in to charge over night.

Hopefully the link I posted and just wireless mouse and keyboard will fix my 2015.

Hope yours is okay now as well, although I understand your 2015 issue was also occurring sans monitor.

5. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Probably related to standby mode, which it is supposed to enter after three hours of sleep.

6. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yesterday, woke no problem. Today, back to the black screen. Really annoying. I will try the Genius Bar, though I know it won't be overly helpful.

7. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

DiskUtil said I needed to repair the drive, which I did. Genius Bar was optimistic that would solve the problem, but it did not... Will try to call again today.

8. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Had the screen replaced twice now, and it happened this morning. Very much hoping it's software.

9. im_ashley macrumors newbie

im_ashley

So sorry to hear that. If and all possible the best thing to do is to reset the Mac itself. Having 15" with 10.12.3 here. Nothing so far. Has this issue affected your battery life in anyway? How much you are getting?

10. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Already entirely reset, both from backup and as entire restore. Happened again this morning so I'm going back in. Have video proof of it all so maybe they can replace the entire machine or something.

Battery life has been great, a comfortable 8 hours across several tasks. The least of my worries.

11. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

For posterity, I'll update this again. So far they have replaced:

The screen 2x
    The top case 1x
    The logic board 1x
    The bottom case 1x

Basically nothing is original. Now they're sending it to the Depot with a "blank check" to see if they can fix it. So glad I've taken videos/photos along the way because I wouldn't believe myself at this point. Just amazingly frustrating.

12. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I would be curious to know if the 10.12.4 beta would fix your issue, as you have said you started having the problem when you loaded 10.12.3.

13. Calby macrumors 6502

Calby

Delete the deep sleep / haibiration img (file) and so smc and nvram reset.

That should solve your issue.

14. im_ashley macrumors newbie

im_ashley

I would recommend a fresh reset just in case. That's great to hear about the battery life of yours. I was planning to buy couple of them for my office. Even though Apple promises 10 hrs I wanted a rough estimate of the actual hours. The 8 hours your are achieving is with low/medium/high brightness? Even though we'll be dealing with AutoCad in Mac, most of the time it'll be Google Enterprise Cloud Services. If you don't mind please state your usage scenario too for the 8 hours.

Thanks!

15. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Been on it. The public beta, anyway. Did not work - In fact, I brought in videos of that and the current built to show them. Same problem. Just bizarre to me.

Edit: The problem isn't new to 10.12.3 - it happened daily when I had my Cinema Display. But I assumed that was the problem - not the computer. After I sold the display, the problem persisted. Sorry for confusion.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 19, 2017 ---
    One or the first things I tried, unfortunately.

16. iamMacPerson, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017

iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I'M HAVING THIS SAME PROBLEM. I'm so glad I'm not alone. Just bought this machine off eBay for a screaming deal. It's 4 months old (2.2, Iris Pro base model 2015 15") and already had the logic board and SSD replaced. The machine keeps kernel panicking too, citing a problem with not being able to reach the 'SATA HDD' and that it was 'Terminating'. Also listed other 'Thread Crashes'.

I got the computer when 10.12.2 was the current release. 10.12.3 did not fix the issue.

EDIT: Also tried setting the machine up from a fresh copy of 10.12.3 from the App Store. Erase and Reinstall with NO data migration. Safe boot, multiple NVRAM and SMC resets, 10.12.4 beta, and NOTHING has fixed it. I'm going to try installing 10.11.6 and see if that fixes it. Nothing left to loose now.

17. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Glad I'm not the only one. Is yours still under warranty, if so new? I'm so glad I added AppleCare.

They've told me they will replace the machine if it continues to happen after this final repair. By their billing (which of course they don't "pay" like a consumer would) they've now done $3300 of extra work into a $2200 computer so... whatever floats their bot, I suppose.

Certainly let me know if 10.11.6 fixes it. I suspect it won't - at least, it still happened to me when I was on that OS, but I was constantly plugged into a Cinema Display, which I blamed the problem on.

Please keep me posted, and I'll do the same.

18. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I'm still under warranty luckily. I'm going to keep pushing them to fix it. I'm in contact with a senior advisor, but I'm not exactly down the street from the Apple Store.

Please keep me posted too. Question, has your machine Kernel Panicked?

19. g.t. rags macrumors 6502

I can't believe that it's escalated this far and the've only now offered to replace the machine

20. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right? It's really insane. It's now been shipped 5 times to the Depot.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 20, 2017 ---
    Gotcha. Luckily, I am. Will certainly let you know the "resolution."

21. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Doesn't surprise me. My 2011 15" MBP had 8 logic board replacements before they swapped it with a 2012 Retina. Even then I had to pay an 'upgrade fee'.

22. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Damn. At this point, I'd gladly pay an upgrade fee. Heck, I don't mind if they replace it with an identical 2015 model - just a full functional computer would be nice...

23. ge.caroline macrumors newbie

@James.K.Polk Did you buy this off e-bay or something? or new? The way you can take up this case depends on that. I would like to know the battery life of 2015 too, for comparison. Mine has been drastic.

24. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brand new, and from the Apple Store.

Edit: Battery is great, 8ish hours with usual social/Word/browsing.