Canon 1D X announced!!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by blockburner28, Oct 17, 2011.

1. blockburner28 macrumors 6502

blockburner28

[​IMG]
    Specs:

Full Frame
    18.1MP
    Dual DIGIC 5+ – 17 Times The Processing Power of DIGIC 4
    ISO 100-51200 Native
    100,000 Pixel RGB Metering Sensor
    EOS iSA (Intelligent Subject Analysis)
    61 Point AF
    21 f/5.6 Cross Type Sensors
    20 f/4 Cross Type Sensors
    5 f/2.8 Cross Type Senors
    EOS iTR AF (Intelligent Tracking & Recognition Auto Focus)
    12 Frames Per Second
    14 Frames Per Second JPG Only
    400,000 Shot Rated Sensor
    Ethernet Connection
    March Availability

The specs are not 100% confirmed by canon right now. The name & release date are 100% certain.

2. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Very impressive but puzzled on the ethernet port.

3. Pikemann Urge macrumors 6502

Hmm, maybe instead of Ethernet it has FireWire? Just a thought.

This camera proves that at least one large camera manufacturer has a mature outlook on what their cameras are for. This is going to be a hand-held camera much of the time. So there's no need to cram in too many photosites on the sensor. 18Mpx is fine - it also allows those high frame rates.

35mm film has higher (or equivalent) resolution but only at sensitivities at about 6,400 and lower. I doubt film could give a usable image at ISO 51,200! ISO 12,000, perhaps, but not much higher.

4. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Full details: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-11666-12012

At many "big time" sporting events (e.g. Final Four, MLB playoffs) outlets such as AP, Getty, SI, etc. like to "hard-wire" their photogs so images are instantly transmitted to an editor in the workroom for immediate upload to the wire.

Currently they're having to use the WFT-E2 for ethernet (the Wi-Fi is useless in a crowded venue like that) which means they're paying for the full wireless functionality of the WFT when they only need the ethernet portion. As such this will be a major draw for them. The built-in Ethernet means they don't have to purchase and distribute all those additional pieces of equipment.

Studio and other photogs who still need the Wi-Fi can purchase the adaptor as always.

5. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

The specs are impressive. So is Canon replacing its two-tiered pro line-up with a single camera now? Or will we see a 1D Xs/1Ds X?

6. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

From the Galbraith article [emphasis mine]:

"With this announcement, Canon is also officially discontinuing the EOS-1Ds Mark III (though this is largely a formality, as the company is likely to have stopped manufacturing this body eons ago). Going forward, the EOS-1D X will be the only 1-series camera the company makes, or at least it will be once it becomes a shipping product starting next year."

7. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Thanks, a lot. That makes a lot of sense, this way Canon can concentrate all its developmental efforts around one body. Plus, it has the high-res market covered with the 5D series.

(It's early in the morning here and I usually don't have time to actually read news articles until lunch break.)

8. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Wow, these are impressive specs, at $6.8k MSRP way out of my price range, but I'd love to have this over a weekend just to play and experiment.

9. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

That's interesting for sure - but it leaves Canon's studio photographers wanting more. The specs of this camera look pretty impressive, but it's definitely no replacement for the 1Ds series - more an enhanced 1D. It isn't a camera that I would consider buying.

Canon is getting great ISO, noise and quality results from their 18Mpix cropped camera line - and scaling that pixel pitch up to full frame would give you a 36Mpix sensor. Studio photographers are looking for progress in this area (and in a studio you're not concerned about weather shielding or low light).

I'm wondering if they'll be re-introducing a '3 series' line to satisfy high resolution requirements, or whether they'll just put their resolution enhancements in the 5DIII.

10. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

That'd be pretty confusing, I don't really see a camera in between the 5D series and 1D series -- unless they make the 5D Mark III a lot cheaper than the Mark II and put a hypothetical 3D into the price slot of the 5D Mark II or slightly north of that. But even then, I don't think there is a lot of space to differentiate: Otherwise, they could rename the 3D into 1Ds X and call it a day.

11. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I agree really... there's always been a lot of rumours surrounding a '3 series' (it's kind of the small-form-factor MacPro of the Canon world; the cheaper pro machine that never materialises). Introducing something like that would cause buying confusion between that, the 1, 5 and 7.

If the 5 line is going to be Canon's only 20Mpix+ camera, then it's going to have to have better weather sealing and focus in order to compete.

Alternatively, Canon backing away from super high resolution on the 1 series may give more weight to the alternative (longstanding) rumours that they're looking to introduce an even more high-end large sensor medium format model.

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Maybe they can split the 5 line into a studio/high-end version and a lower end (sub $2000!!!) enthusiast/semi-pro version.

13. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

14. Dwee8le macrumors member

"The Canon EOS-1D X Digital SLR camera is scheduled for March 2012 availability and will be sold in a body-only configuration at an estimated retail price of $6,800.00."

SOURCE

15. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

wowzers, car money! :D

16. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

I remember when the EOS-3 came out, it was a great camera that leap-frogged the then current EOS-1. The only other route I can see Canon may take is to make something that is primarily a video camera, but also doubles as a dslr (in that order).
    But then they'd have to introduce a new lens mount, wouldn't they?
    That'd be great. I'm still hoping that one day, the 7D/D300-equivalents will have full frame sensors …*one can dream! But yeah, then there'd be a slot for a 3D, at least money-wise.

17. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Hey - I don't make these rumours up! :p

In practice, a new lens mount for a medium format sized camera isn't such a big deal. You can make do with far fewer lenses, given that MF people tend to like primes (you can crop, so composing tightly isn't such a problem). You could launch a system like that with the equivalent of a 24, 50 and 80mm, and people would buy it. (I used to have a Hasselblad with 50, 80, 150 - approximately equivalent).

18. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Yes, witness the Pentax 645D. I think they have three lenses for that camera, and Pentax can't make the bodies fast enough to meet demand. Although, to be fair, there were a lot of vintage lenses floating around that used the same mount (which quickly became hot items on the used market once the 645D came out).

19. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Really, I didn't know, I always thought the medium format market was slowly dying. But it's great, the 645 looks like a great (and big) camera.

20. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

21. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

I think they'll be pushing the 5DIII as their new "studio" body. As you mentioned you don't need weather shielding inside. If they continue to improve the high ISO performance and maybe boost the AF ability it would be great. (My wife is a wedding and portrait photographer and definitely cares about low light/ISO performance and AF for the wedding part of her business.)

As Nikon has proved with the D3S, sports and news photogs don't care about higher megapixels if the high ISO is stunning.

22. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

As a Nikon D3S shooter I find this Canon release as great news. It will push Nikon to go that extra step. I don't care how much the Nikon costs when it comes out, I will get one and give the D3S to my daughter. This is a great day for camera enthusiasts.

23. avro707 macrumors 6502a

That's alright - my D3S was $7100. :eek:

Does anyone really need that much more than what a D3S offers? It's already pretty good. I'm interested to try a 1DX, but I won't be purchasing one.

24. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Who knows what Canon has in mind for the 5dIII or whatever they'll label it. If it's the "next generation" 5D, the II was a new step in a combo still and video camera and is used for landscape photography as well, so, IMO, I don't think the next 5D will solely be a "studio" camera. It'll probably be priced more than the 5DII and have an updated AF system and updated video that could be used for multiple purposes for the "not-so-professional-photojournalist-sports/wildlife" photographer. Time will tell, but it'll probably be mid to late 2012 before Canon let's us know for sure. I'd love to hear from them sooner but I just can't see it that way. Hope I'm wrong.

25. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Who said anything about "need"? I want it, don't care about the cost, and I will get one regardless. Pretty simple to understand in my book.