Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewGuyHere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
hey guys, I was surprised there was a digital photo section here...awesome...anway so I picked up a 60d a while ago for my dslr, not a while ago, like 2-3 weeks ago. Anyway, It was between the d7000 and the 60d, I loved both I really did, but I went with the 60d because best buy had it a bit cheaper. But now I am looking online and the d7000 price dropped a bit. I got the package deals just so you know. Anyway do you think it's a good choice to exchange the 60d for the d7000, I am starting to become more on a semi pro level and I am currently taking a advanced digital photo class. So exchange for the 60d? Both felt amazing in my hands and it was a super hard choice, but I kinda have some remorse for the d7000.

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2003
Anyway do you think it's a good choice to exchange the 60d for the d7000
Depends on where you bought it from and how long ago you bought it. You will most probably be charged a 10-15% restocking fee.

I am starting to become more on a semi pro level and I am currently taking a advanced digital photo class.
There are professionals that use Canon and some that use Nikon. The brand or model of the camera doesn't make you any better of a photographer than you were before.

So exchange for the 60d? Both felt amazing in my hands and it was a super hard choice, but I kinda have some remorse for the d7000.
If you have remorse, then possibly look into returning it. Is there a reason you want the D7000 more than the 60D?

The D7000 is very comparable to the 60D. They both have their high points...60D has more megapixels, but the D7000 has a larger sensor (there are additional pros and cons to each)

NewGuyHere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Depends on where you bought it from and how long ago you bought it. You will most probably be charged a 10-15% restocking fee.

There are professionals that use Canon and some that use Nikon. The brand or model of the camera doesn't make you any better of a photographer than you were before.

If you have remorse, then possibly look into returning it. Is there a reason you want the D7000 more than the 60D?

The D7000 is very comparable to the 60D. They both have their high points...60D has more megapixels, but the D7000 has a larger sensor (there are additional pros and cons to each)
Best buy offers a 30 day no fee return/exchange so I am good on that part. I just feel like there a bunch of more features on the d7000 that I am missing out on like the 39 af points, more in menu features, and magnesium allot body.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Best buy offers a 30 day no fee return/exchange so I am good on that part. I just feel like there a bunch of more features on the d7000 that I am missing out on like the 39 af points, more in menu features, and magnesium allot body.

Just keep in mind, the lens is worth a thousand times more than the camera.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I got my Cannon because there was a much better range of less expensive glass out there for it.

Agreed! As a Nikon shooter, I cry at the fact that there's no 70-200mm f4 for $700 on the Nikon side. Our only option is a $2200+ lens.

Please don't read this the wrong way, but there has to be more to it than just the AF points the menu items. Those really don't make the difference in the bodies.

I say this because I've seen shooters jump from brand to brand based solely on features they thought they needed at the time of purchase, and sure, they used those features here and there, but eventually reverted back to their style of shooting and found that the brand they were currently with didn't have THE feature they actually needed, and switched again.

I went Nikon when I was in college because the F5 and F100 were kings in the AF space and the ergonomics were just what I liked. Those were important for us PJs then (and now) when you had to hold and use your body for the entire day and then some.

You really have to identify what key features you need that one body doesn't offer over the other. AF points may be different, but they don't determine AF speed and accuracy, and aren't important if you aren't shooting fast moving subjects like sports, racing, and editorial.

Build quality is always important, but will you be using your body in a harsh environment? By harsh I don't mean the Sahara, but I do mean tossing it around a bit while in or outside of a bag. Those features come in handy when dealing with shooting in a light rain:

rain.jpeg

And we mean, where you HAVE to keep shooting.

Is video something you are looking to do? Fashion? What type of lenses are you looking to buy? Canon always has and always will make some of the best lenses in the industry . . . but there are some pieces of glass that are better on the Nikon side, so that's more a determining factor as well.

Do you know other shooters? Are they willing to let you borrow pieces of gear? Strobes, lenses, grips, brackets? If I had went Canon in college I wouldn't have been able to snap the 400mm f2.8 that the pros had onto my N80 then D70 at the time. I would've missed shots that went straight to the portfolio.

This writing is in no way meant to be read with a rude or arrogent voice, but a concerned one. Take your time with your purchase, and dig deep into what you need as a shooter. Ask tough questions, like what you plan on shooting, and what you need to be good at it. Is it better to get a better than D7000 body? Or a D5100 and a 17-55mm f2.8?

Good luck, and I really hope this helps.

NewGuyHere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Agreed! As a Nikon shooter, I cry at the fact that there's no 70-200mm f4 for $700 on the Nikon side. Our only option is a $2200+ lens.

Please don't read this the wrong way, but there has to be more to it than just the AF points the menu items. Those really don't make the difference in the bodies.

I say this because I've seen shooters jump from brand to brand based solely on features they thought they needed at the time of purchase, and sure, they used those features here and there, but eventually reverted back to their style of shooting and found that the brand they were currently with didn't have THE feature they actually needed, and switched again.

I went Nikon when I was in college because the F5 and F100 were kings in the AF space and the ergonomics were just what I liked. Those were important for us PJs then (and now) when you had to hold and use your body for the entire day and then some.

You really have to identify what key features you need that one body doesn't offer over the other. AF points may be different, but they don't determine AF speed and accuracy, and aren't important if you aren't shooting fast moving subjects like sports, racing, and editorial.

Build quality is always important, but will you be using your body in a harsh environment? By harsh I don't mean the Sahara, but I do mean tossing it around a bit while in or outside of a bag. Those features come in handy when dealing with shooting in a light rain:

View attachment 341981

And we mean, where you HAVE to keep shooting.

Is video something you are looking to do? Fashion? What type of lenses are you looking to buy? Canon always has and always will make some of the best lenses in the industry . . . but there are some pieces of glass that are better on the Nikon side, so that's more a determining factor as well.

Do you know other shooters? Are they willing to let you borrow pieces of gear? Strobes, lenses, grips, brackets? If I had went Canon in college I wouldn't have been able to snap the 400mm f2.8 that the pros had onto my N80 then D70 at the time. I would've missed shots that went straight to the portfolio.

This writing is in no way meant to be read with a rude or arrogent voice, but a concerned one. Take your time with your purchase, and dig deep into what you need as a shooter. Ask tough questions, like what you plan on shooting, and what you need to be good at it. Is it better to get a better than D7000 body? Or a D5100 and a 17-55mm f2.8?

Good luck, and I really hope this helps.

Thank you for the long response, and so first I will say, I am by myself, no friends shoot really, maybe one, but he has a kit lens, which isn't much use to me. Also I plan on shooting some sporting events for my school as well as a lot of urban photo and nature. I also a strong body because I will be lugging it around everywhere, but I have been using the 60d and it is very solid though. I was looking at this kit http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon+D...070&skuId=9999181300050070&st=d7000&lp=3&cp=1 and I really think it would be a very good one. THanks, btw I have this currently http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+E...0000&skuId=9999182100050000&st=60d &lp=5&cp=1

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Thank you for the long response, and so first I will say, I am by myself, no friends shoot really, maybe one, but he has a kit lens, which isn't much use to me. Also I plan on shooting some sporting events for my school as well as a lot of urban photo and nature. I also a strong body because I will be lugging it around everywhere, but I have been using the 60d and it is very solid though. I was looking at this kit http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon+D...070&skuId=9999181300050070&st=d7000&lp=3&cp=1 and I really think it would be a very good one. THanks, btw I have this currently http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+E...0000&skuId=9999182100050000&st=60d &lp=5&cp=1

The sad truth is that you are looking at two really good camera bodies. I haven't shot with the 60D, but every Canon in that series has been the cats meow, and at times I've drooled for it over the comparable Nikon.

I picked up a D7000 because it actually performed just as well as not only my aging D2xs, but at times better than the D300s. It was on par with the D700 in almost every way save for IQ, and had the build quality of the D700 and D300s.

Both the 60D and D7000 are fantastic cameras. It really will come down to what you know you want and need irregardless of $$$ saved here or spent there.

NewGuyHere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Yes, money isn't really an issue between these, it's what I get out of them is what I care about. I don't mind buying more lenses, but the body is what I will be using the most, see I want it to be the best it can be.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I own a D7000. I like it a lot, moving up from the D70.
I looked over Canons and Nikons when buying my first DSLR (after owning a Nikon SLR but thinking again if I was going to switch, at the DLSR moment that would be better than waiting until later). I did not like the feel of the low-end Canon Bodies. The camera build felt cheaper and the controls felt awkward. I much prefer the Nikon in my hand. Now, when buying the D7000, I also looked over the D5100 and D3100. Both of those felt like a cheap build and had controls that were "not in the right place"

All that said, Canon and Nikon make great cameras and lenses. The camera can only do so much and you are then looking at the lenses. I really like my lens I got with the D7000 Kit…I think an 18-200mm. Decent lens at a $800-900 price tag. The lenses in the kit you showed were OK, but nothing spectacular.
I know the D7000 uses the fastest SD card on the market, built in conjunction between Nikon and SanDisk. Not sure if Canon has built a camera to use the high-end card or not.
Also, I have heard Canon's shoot video better than Nikon DSLRs. The Focusing on the Nikon isn't great in Live Mode/Video Mode. And when it tries to focus I feel I can hear the lens movements on the video.

Jonathansm

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2011
I just bought a 60D and I love it. It was a big upgrade from a XSi. I have always been a canon guy, nothing against nikon. You just have to see what camera feels right, I have always liked the way canons feel. So what camera feels good?

NewGuyHere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
THat's the thing, I feel like if I go for one, I can never go back to another brand. So I am pretty much at a forked road.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
You already bought a camera; the decision you should be making now is what to shoot with it!

Trust me, gear lust is a dragon eating its tail. No matter which camera you have now, you'll want its successor as soon as it comes out (which could be fairly soon for either one of the cameras you're considering). So just enjoy what you have; it's a fine camera and opens you up to a world of great lenses. Now go out and take some pictures!

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE

If you seem to think that the D7000 offers features that you're missing out on with owning the 60D, then return it. It's as simple as that. It doesn't seem like you invested any money (if at all) in Canon lenses, so you don't have a lot to lose.

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
If you seem to think that the D7000 offers features that you're missing out on with owning the 60D, then return it. It's as simple as that. It doesn't seem like you invested any money (if at all) in Canon lenses, so you don't have a lot to lose.

I agree, if you're uneasy about your choice go for the D7000. It's a fantastic camera.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Yes, money isn't really an issue between these, it's what I get out of them is what I care about. I don't mind buying more lenses, but the body is what I will be using the most, see I want it to be the best it can be.

Canon and Nikon leapfrog each other spec-wise all the time so figure out what you need on a body and get it. You'll change or add bodies every few years, but your lenses will stick with you. Each of Canon and Nikon are going to provide an excellent vehicle, with lots of practice and great lenses (and lots of practice), for you to be able to make good images. At the risk of sounding trite, bodies don't create the images, photographers do :)

While I'm a Nikon shooter, I have to ask is there something that the 60d isn't giving you that a d7000 would? If price was what originally drew you to the Canon table, but money isn't really an issue, maybe a better approach would be to evaluate based on actual performance between the two bodies and look at things like perceived image quality, flow and mechanics of creating images, and other more subtle aspects that really matter, cost aside.

Just a thought. And I say this having been exactly where you are today and giving you the gift of hindsight :D

NewGuyHere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
I don't know, I just feel half satisfied with the 60D and I feel that the d7000 will satisfy me more. But I understand that both will be thrown for better bodies in the future, so I honestly like Canon's high class bodies more than the nikon. But the d7000 I like more than the 60d/lower-mid class bodies.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
hey guys, I was surprised there was a digital photo section here...awesome...anway so I picked up a 60d a while ago for my dslr, not a while ago, like 2-3 weeks ago. Anyway, It was between the d7000 and the 60d, I loved both I really did, but I went with the 60d because best buy had it a bit cheaper. But now I am looking online and the d7000 price dropped a bit....

So you bast the decision on which camera system you will buy onto based of the price of an entry level DSLR body????

What you need to look at is the range of LENSES you might buy in the future. Take a look and think about what you might buy in the next five years. Thenyor next DSLR body will need to be the same brand.

Odd too that you say you have a d7000. Does this body have a lens attached? I assume you must also have bought a lens. What's your opinion of it. How di you decide to buy that lens?

NewGuyHere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
So you bast the decision on which camera system you will buy onto based of the price of an entry level DSLR body????

What you need to look at is the range of LENSES you might buy in the future. Take a look and think about what you might buy in the next five years. Thenyor next DSLR body will need to be the same brand.

Odd too that you say you have a d7000. Does this body have a lens attached? I assume you must also have bought a lens. What's your opinion of it. How di you decide to buy that lens?
The thing is, I WON'T know what I will want in 5 years because I don't know what they will have.

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
The thing is, I WON'T know what I will want in 5 years because I don't know what they will have.

From what I've seen, the lenses seem to get updated far less frequently than the bodies. And once someone buys nice glass, then tend to hang onto it for FAR longer than any body.

Again, look at the lenses you'll want/need in the future, and buy the body based on that. If you don't know what you might want/need, then just shoot, shoot and shoot some more and you'll figure it out soon enough.

NewGuyHere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
From what I've seen, the lenses seem to get updated far less frequently than the bodies. And once someone buys nice glass, then tend to hang onto it for FAR longer than any body.

Again, look at the lenses you'll want/need in the future, and buy the body based on that. If you don't know what you might want/need, then just shoot, shoot and shoot some more and you'll figure it out soon enough.

Well both Nikon and Canon offer equal arrays of lenses pretty much so it doesn't help to decide the brand that way.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Well both Nikon and Canon offer equal arrays of lenses pretty much so it doesn't help to decide the brand that way.

Really? I guess if details don't matter. By the same reasoning Ford and Toyota make the same cars. Flip a coin buy either brand.

But the difference between cars and SLRs is the if today you buy a Nikon then your next SLR would likely have to be a Nikon. But if you bought the Ford there is no reason to buy a ford next time.

One difference between the brands is their flash metering. I like Nikon's system. Nikon's 80-200 f/2.8 zooms on the used market are much lower priced. If you get into the details there is a ton of difference. But on the other hand each company was something you'd want for sure

Nikon film bodies take the same lenses are their DSLRs. If films something you might like to try that might matter.

Altitude

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2012
Incline Village, NV
60D vs. D7000?

As most of the previous responders have suggested or implied, the two cameras are pretty much equals in most respects. To be honest, I'm actually not a fan of either, but that's not the issue here. But I would imagine the deciding factor for many serious users might come down to the fact that the Canon has a fabulous fold out and rotatable LCD and the Nikon doesn't. That Canon LCD gives you lots of options for shots the Nikon simply can't.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I don't know, I just feel half satisfied with the 60D and I feel that the d7000 will satisfy me more.

I think you answered your own question there. You seem on the fence about owning the 60D, so return it while the D7000 price is down, and exchange it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.