Canon 7D or Nikon D7000

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by harleymhs, Jun 20, 2011.

1. harleymhs macrumors 6502

I keep reading the reviews on both D7000 and 7D ... it seems like the 7D wins over the D7000 but not by much.. Any thoughts ?? Seems like the 7D is MUCH bigger and heavier than the D7000....

2. tinman0 macrumors regular

Being a Canon user, I can confidently say that all Nikon users are ghey.

HTH.

(In reality there is nothing between them - my advice is to pick Canon/Nikon based on what your friends have as photography is a very nice hobby to have when you can swap lenses etc. If you have no friends with an SLR then buy the 7D obviously ;) ).

3. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

They are both excellent cameras, as the other poster said, I would go into a shop and get them in your hands, ultimately one of them will win you over, but you have to get them in your hands with a lens. As far as systems go they both offer an excellent selection of both consumer and pro lenses, flashes and other accessories. What sort of photography do you plan on doing?

4. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I use to be a Canon user and went from a 30D to a 7D and had issues with too soft pictures and the camera was just having issues. I also wasn't alone on this as many on the net were experiecing the same issues. So I left and got a Nikon D7000 and love this camera to death! Best pictures I have seen right out of the camera in RAW. Very little post processing needed to get great pictures. Nikon has won me over!

The 7D is heavier and bigger which I also didn't like.

5. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

I have never had any probs with my 7d. It is an amazing camera.
    Just to keep things in perspective!

You need to go into a shop and play around. Nikon and Canon have quite a different UI. You'll see which one you're drawn to, and which feels better for you in your hands.
    Unless you're after a very specific feature, that one offers above the other, then I wouldn't worry to much about spec comparing. They are both amazing semi pro/pro level cameras.

6. nizmoz macrumors 65816

You were one lucky one because pretty much everyone on the Canon forums had issues with it. Hopefully by now they have fixed it. I got it when it was first released.

7. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

Yeah mine's a first release as well. I'm not sure how accurate 'pretty much everyone' is though!! It's a sweeping statement! I have seen that people have had issues however, perhaps the op should hire one of each out for a couple of hours and really give them a go..

8. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

What issues are you referring to specifically?

I'm a frequent member of POTN and I don't recall anything wide-spread. Very early on in the production cycle there was an issue that caused ghosting in high-speed shooting situations but that was resolved fairly quickly with a firmware update and only affected a limited number of people in the first place.

Anyway, OP, the 7D is a fantastic camera and so is the D7000. I use a 7D and love it!

9. harleymhs thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all your posts! I just realized that the 7D uses CF cards not SD and the NIKON d7000 holds 2 SD cards whcih is a cool feature.. One for jpg one for raw ..or one for video one for jpg and another option #2 for overlow.. So I think I just made my mind up! I have so many SD cards and NO CF cards.. Plus after just holding them in a retail store the D7000 is much lighter and less bulky... Thanks for ALL your POSTS guys!!!

10. xStep macrumors 68000

Keep in mind that forums are mostly filled with people asking questions. This exposes even small problems more frequently. It does not mean 'pretty much everyone' is having the problems.

11. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I mentioned the issues in my original post. Soft pictures, not sharp, the image sensor having AF issues and not focusing on the correct area you wanted it too, etc. People had to send theirs in new to Canon to get it resolved. This was a big issue when it first came out sadly.

12. RRRize macrumors regular

Rubbish! I got my 7D the first day it was released (when it was virtually impossible to get because of demand and pre orders) and images have been STELLAR since day 1! Of course that has a lot to do with the photographer :D but I've never had an issue with soft images. My job bought a few of them and I've got 2 friends with 7Ds and I've not heard any one of them complain about soft images. The camera is STELLAR! I completely recommend it!

13. nizmoz macrumors 65816

It's not rubbish. You seriously need to not post without the facts. They had issues, many do. I guess people who really are into detail about their photos will notice it more. But my 30D took better pictures than the 7D did and that is why the 7D went back.

http://www.michaelmiles.com/2010/03/06/answer-fixing-canon-7d-focus-issue/

http://blog.photoframd.com/2009/12/07/canon-7d-problem-focusing-customize-the-af/

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Up0v

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00WPax

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=33495689

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=35905219

Google for more. It's all over the net. FACTS are FACTS the 7D had issues. "HAD". :rolleyes:

14. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

15. harleymhs thread starter macrumors 6502

Got the D7000 Yesterday at Best Buy and they tossed in the 55-300 Vr lens for 249.00! That was a bargin!! Went with the D7000 for the feel of the camera PLUS the 2 SD slots! The 7D takes CF cards.. Not for me.. Plus much bigger and heavier.. Thanks for the replys!

16. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

Congrats on the purchase!

YOu could have shown some love to Pentax u know :p
    The K-5 is amazing....built like a tank...smaller than the D7000 and takes amazing pics....

17. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

To be honest with you, that still doesn't denote everybody. In fact, have you even read all of these??

This one says what I suspect is some people's problem with it:

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00WPax

...and that is user error.

OP; congrats on the purchase of an excellent camera! Look forward to seeing some shots!!

18. RRRize macrumors regular

As I said before... RUBBISH! I post based on fact since I am an owner. And relax, btw. You're going to blow a head gasket getting all angry just to prove a point that's not being disputed. You said "many" where the other post said "EVERYBODY". There is a huge difference. I got one right off the assembly line and it's been perfect. So are the 7Ds at my job as well as others I know of. Perhaps there were a batch that needed a flash ROM update. And of course those who may have gotten those are going to find themselves looking for answers on the internet. The thousands who didn't get a bad copy are silently enjoying the sickest crop-frame SLR out there now. I'd be one of those! : )

19. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Sorry but it's not user error when you go from a 30D to a 7D and all you changed was the camera itself and it has issues. Canon even acknowledges it has issues with it and reason why they have been fixing them.

I also know a guy who has a 5D to get the 7D, and had issues and sent it in for repair and he is a professional photographer.

20. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

There clearly was an issue that affected SOME people that has since been corrected. Clearly they didn't affect everyone - not sure why this is being made out to be such a huge issue now.

21. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

This is fair enough, and I'm not saying I don't believe you!! But that still is not everyone!

The 30d compared to the 7d is a massive upgrade, and what I mean by user error is this point here.. (Taken from one of your links)

http://jtophoto.blogspot.com/2010/04/camera-shake-and-motion-blur-be-damned.html

A quote from it is here:

" Combining a long focal length with the 7D’s 18 megapixel rating on the APS-C chip, and suddenly I have a problem with camera shake and motion blur that I never had before on my old 8 megapixel Canon 30D camera. Nothing with me has changed. The problem is that it’s technically inherent that higher megapixel APS-C cameras magnify the effect of camera shake and motion blur more than lower megapixel APS-C cameras."

22. nizmoz macrumors 65816

If that was true, then why does the D7000 have no issues of the sort? ;)

23. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Probably because there are very few people going from the 30D to the D7000 :p

24. nizmoz macrumors 65816

LOL. Well the D7000 specs are about equal to the 7D, so it should show the same issues if that was the cause. :)

25. davidgrimm macrumors regular

Gratz on the new camera. I have the D7000 and its great. The 2 mem-card configuration gives you lots of opportunity for extended outings without worrying about lugging a notebook. I have 2 32 gig cards in mine and can shoot 917 RAW images on one card. And the battery life is awesome as well.