Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frogger2020

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
I use to be a Nikon user and went from a D90 to a D7000 and had issues with too soft pictures and the camera was just having issues. I also wasn't alone on this as many on the net were experiecing the same issues. So I left and got a Canon 7D and love this camera to death! Best pictures I have seen right out of the camera in RAW. Very little post processing needed to get great pictures. Canon has won me over!

:D

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
I use to be a Nikon user and went from a D90 to a D7000 and had issues with too soft pictures and the camera was just having issues. I also wasn't alone on this as many on the net were experiecing the same issues. So I left and got a Canon 7D and love this camera to death! Best pictures I have seen right out of the camera in RAW. Very little post processing needed to get great pictures. Canon has won me over!

:D

Sure it did troll. Great way to waste a post.

mrcam216

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2011
I've been using a Canon 7d for a while. I consider myself a semi-pro. (more so on the pro side). I've been close to selling my camera a few times due to soft pictures. I hate to say what I'm about to say especially since i consider myself a pro, but a lot of the time i shoot in P mode. Basically because for what i did i thought it was good enough. Keep in mind i've had the camera for at 5 months. So after reading a lot of reviews, i thought i had a bad camera since my photos were not as sharp as i would have liked. So one day while shooting an event, I had an idea. I decided to shoot the whole thing totally in manual. You pro's know what i mean, setting the flash in a manual setting, and adjusting my aperture, shutter speed, and iso at custom setting. BAM!!!!!!! Best freaking pictures i've ever takin in my life! This camera went from, ok, to super freakin nice. So basically what i'm saying is what other photographers say all the time. You must really learn how to use your camera. I use to have a canon 40d and i was able to shoot automatic or in P mode and the pictures would come out just fine. but with the canon 7d, when you really learn how to use it, your pictures will come out super. I guess if someone wanna take the easy road, the nikon 7000 may shoot better in automatic. Also, I read another forum a while ago and someone else said the same thing, when shooting in manual, they get so much better pictures and the softness goes away. example, if automatic want to have the shutter speed a little slower, of course you will have a softer picture.

Sorry for the long post......

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
Oh, also, aren't all lenses slightly different? Even if it is the same model, etc. Like the focus point might slightly different.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
I've been using a Canon 7d for a while. I consider myself a semi-pro. (more so on the pro side). I've been close to selling my camera a few times due to soft pictures. I hate to say what I'm about to say especially since i consider myself a pro, but a lot of the time i shoot in P mode. Basically because for what i did i thought it was good enough. Keep in mind i've had the camera for at 5 months. So after reading a lot of reviews, i thought i had a bad camera since my photos were not as sharp as i would have liked. So one day while shooting an event, I had an idea. I decided to shoot the whole thing totally in manual. You pro's know what i mean, setting the flash in a manual setting, and adjusting my aperture, shutter speed, and iso at custom setting. BAM!!!!!!! Best freaking pictures i've ever takin in my life! This camera went from, ok, to super freakin nice. So basically what i'm saying is what other photographers say all the time. You must really learn how to use your camera. I use to have a canon 40d and i was able to shoot automatic or in P mode and the pictures would come out just fine. but with the canon 7d, when you really learn how to use it, your pictures will come out super. I guess if someone wanna take the easy road, the nikon 7000 may shoot better in automatic. Also, I read another forum a while ago and someone else said the same thing, when shooting in manual, they get so much better pictures and the softness goes away. example, if automatic want to have the shutter speed a little slower, of course you will have a softer picture.

Sorry for the long post......

Good point, but I always shot in manual mode so that didn't make a difference for me.

harleymhs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Yes, the Battery life is sick! and so far the camera is outstanding! Tac sharp pics on auto, great low light photos. Auto focus has NO ISSUES at all.. B&W are crisp.. the 2 SD slots are an added bonus.. and the 249.00 price of the 55-300 vr.. lense was a great deal! Plus the weight difference between the Canon and Nikon was a big difference!

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
There is only one answer to your question and it is you will not go wrong with either of them. Im invested in Canon since days of 20D and still use it without any problem. My cousing was up to buy a new camera and within his budget I advised him to get Nikon D3100. So it all depends upon how much you are willing to spend. And as others said buy one that your friends have that way you will be able to swap lenses with them (if they have something that you dont have and are willing to swap).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.