Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonathan77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
I'm not sure what's going on and need help figuring this out. Restored my iphone 2g through itunes. Brand New SIM card put in since i'm going from my iphone 4 to the 2g. I plug the phone in and itunes opens up with the normal menu of going through the steps of replacing an existing line to another phone. At the very end where i need to hit submit, absolutely nothing happens. I've tried

-Different version of itunes
-reboot computer
-turned off the phone and back on

Nothing changes. Everytime i get to the final screen, it just stays there. Nothing is loading, nothing is being worked on...it's just click and nothing. the screen remains the same and my 2g isn't activated. It's currently in the emergency dial out mode which is what assume it should be in.

Any help is much appreciated~

Jonathan77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
Wherever you are can the phone get a cell signal to activate?

I'm coming from an iphone 4 and trying to activate an iphone 2g. With the new SIM that I was required to purchase and put in the 2g, i'm getting "No Service" which should be right since I haven't activated it yet. Help :confused:

Jonathan77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
Call AT&T.

I did and explained the situation. they told me they can enable the sim in my iphone 2g but it still doesn't change the fact that I can't get past the Emergency Call only screen which is something that apparently itunes bypasses. :(

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Was saying it needs a cell signal to activate, you arent in a basement or anything?

Also did they give you a 3G SIM? I dont think that will work well in a non 3g phone.

Jonathan77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
Was saying it needs a cell signal to activate, you arent in a basement or anything?

Also did they give you a 3G SIM? I dont think that will work well in a non 3g phone.

nope. not in a basement with full signal strength in my iphone 4. The att store I went to earlier gave me the appropriate sim card for the iphone 2g which is what's in there now.

I even tried taping the iphone 4 microsim and putting it in my 2g. Att network is found and I can receive calls but i'm still stuck at the emergency call only screen.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
Have you tried digging around on the Apple support pages? This now sounds like an issue on the Apple end, not AT&T.

There may be a temporary issue with iTunes "syncing up" with the AT&T side. I'm wondering if you might just need to wait it out.

Jonathan77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
Have you tried digging around on the Apple support pages? This now sounds like an issue on the Apple end, not AT&T.

There may be a temporary issue with iTunes "syncing up" with the AT&T side. I'm wondering if you might just need to wait it out.

I'm hoping you're right. Could you check to see if your itunes is working? I just clicked on the itunes store and it's saying it's temporarily down. Could you do me a favor and confirm for me? Much appreciate~

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Why didn't the store transfer the activation to the new sim card?

I'm hoping you're right. Could you check to see if your itunes is working? I just clicked on the itunes store and it's saying it's temporarily down. Could you do me a favor and confirm for me? Much appreciate~

He's trying to use a BRAND NEW, unactivated sim card to activate a device. Think about it.

Jonathan77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010

He's trying to use a BRAND NEW, unactivated sim card to activate a device. Think about it.

ok this is strange. just downloaded and installed the latest version of itunes and now it's saying itunes isn't down. i'm getting more and more confused here. Well it's still not getting past the "review your information" page where I hit submit. no loading or anything at all. This is so frustrating. The one time i want things to just work the way they're supposed to it doesn't :(

Been at this for the last 4 hours using 2 different computers with various versions of itunes. .....

Last edited:

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Once you're problem is fixed, and I'm sure it will be, would you mind telling us why you're switching from an iPhone4 back to the 2G? You've got me curious, but I also respect you're in the middle of trying to get it all to work out so will wait for your reply.

Jonathan77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
Once you're problem is fixed, and I'm sure it will be, would you mind telling us why you're switching from an iPhone4 back to the 2G? You've got me curious, but I also respect you're in the middle of trying to get it all to work out so will wait for your reply.

Fixed it. Figured out what was wrong. Whew. Thanks all for the help

Last edited:

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008

did you eat Lead paint chips as a child? Reading comprehension is not your strongest area huh?

He is trying to activate the sim online through itunes. this is the way all 1st gen iPhones were and are activated.

think about it......

drummr

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2011

He's doing the 2g unlimited data loophole.

Crisman

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2011
Fixed it. Figured out what was wrong. Whew. Thanks all for the help

Hey Jonathan,
Looks like a few other people are having the same problem that you had (including myself) and just like you did, we seek help through this site.

Can you let us know how you solved the issue?
I'm caught in a blame loop between apple and AT&T.

Thnx! I appreciate it.

Last edited:

maryp08

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2011
hello johnathan77,

Could you please tell me how you fixed your issue? Apple and ATT are giving me the run-around. Please, please, please! Thank you so much.

OneIIMany

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011
Yes, please let us know! My boyfriend has been trying to deal with the same issue for almost a week now. It'd be greatly appreciated!

tremlock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2008
The Land of Cleves
also having the same problem. if i pop out the sim i can use the phone with wifi. but if i put the sim in i get the emergency call screen. very strange indeed

tremlock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2008
The Land of Cleves
at&t says they have no idea,transfer to apple and the senior engineer says they currently have no solution to the problem, but they will be happy to call me when they figure out the issue. how can the call me when my phone wont activate????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.