Can't Add Photos to Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by thiagofll, Jun 20, 2007.

1. thiagofll macrumors member

thiagofll

Hi, I have been trying to add photos to Apple TV but I cannot seem to find a way to. I went to Apple's website and it gives you a step by step instructions, but my Apple TV is not showing in the device list. It is connected because I am streaming all my movies from the computers plus it is connected under sources but I cannot seem to find a way to send my pictures from my Mac to the Apple TV.
    Please Help

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

3. imlucid macrumors 6502

Are you connected for Streaming or connected for Syncing?

When you see your iTunes in the Sources list, does it have the little infinity double link next to it?

Kevin

4. thiagofll thread starter macrumors member

thiagofll

Hey Guys, Thank you for the replies. Yes I am able to stream movies and all my songs from iTunes. I have over 300 movies, 2GB each showing on my library so I know for sure that it is streaming from my iTunes.

5. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Just a guess, but, with that many movies in your library, is your ATV full? I have found that with movies, I have to be pretty selective on what I sync, to save room for pictures, music and TV shows. Maybe switch to syncing, make sure you have space, and then try to move some pictures over?

6. Ha ze macrumors regular

may or may not be wrong, but i think i remember reading somewhere AppleTV can not stream photos, only sync them, but again, i could be wrong

7. thiagofll thread starter macrumors member

thiagofll

Yeah I read the same thing. I don't want stream my pictures though, I want to add it to my Apple TV (add to Apple TV's Hard Drive). I have tried everything possible but no luck. How do you add your pictures? The only time I get Apple TV on my device list is when it asks for the access password to communicate with iTunes, then it disappears. Is there any other way around it?

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Streaming photos isn't supported - they have to be synced.

Also, as mentioned by Maui, your drive might be full. iTunes prioritizes syncing of content, with Photos at the bottom of the list (see the :apple:TV Summary tab in iTunes).

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Confused, now. So you haven't synced any content, only streamed?

edit: Look in iTunes prefs. You should have Apple TV as one of the tools. There's a checkbox to enable "Look for Apple TVs".

10. thiagofll thread starter macrumors member

thiagofll

Thanks for all your help. Yes it does show the Apple TV and its status is streaming. I stream everything, I don't have anything saved on my Apple. But I wanted to add my photos to it, I have tried it many times but I always gave up because I could never figure it out, but now I am determined lol.

11. thiagofll thread starter macrumors member

thiagofll

Ok I found the solution, I am so stupid. I didn't know I had to use the synch option on the Apple TV, I thought all I had to do is connect it by streaming it to my MacBook.
    Sorry about that, Thanks for all the help.

12. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I think you said it "popped" up, then disappeared. The attached is what it should look like, in the list (my Apple TV is named ":apple:tv"). Then, you select it, click on the Photos tab and check the "Sync photos from:" option. (you might have been through here already...)

Since you've only been streaming, you have your source set to your iTunes computer. When you want to view synced content, [on the :apple:tv] go to the main menu, then to Sources. Select ":apple:tv" as the Source. You should find whatever content you have set to sync.

Attached Files:

13. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Good news. Enjoy!