Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phonefanman

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 21, 2016
More than likely iPhone 7 will be the cats pajamas... Why wouldn't it not be? iPhone 6, iPhone 6S, iPhone SE... All pretty much the same overall... And then it's next iPhone 7 going to be even more of the same? I think not ... And with Samsung putting out the phones they are currently.. yeah sure to anybody thinking the iPhone 7 isn't going to destroy the current Samsung phones...

iPhone 7 is going to be something great don't worry.. And with it being great and with all these leaks and rumors right now saying it's not going to be that great will make it even better when it comes out.. And everyone will be on its jock strap even harder... Apple is pretty smart...

And with privacy being so hardcore now with Apple, there might of been leaks in the past on its phones, but iPhone 7 has to be a great phone and I think apple working hard on keeping it private as possible, more private than ever before... It's going to be totally different and better than the current iPhone... Anything less than great Apple will not accept on the iPhone 7...

Do you not think a galaxy S8 is not in the works? You really believe iPhone 7 is going to be a flop and they are going to wait until 2017 to do something great?

Many don't think like Apple or even have a business sense of what makes money... Common sense and how Apple does things tells me a lot...

Oh and come back to this thread when iPhone 7 comes out... You will see...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
believe iPhone 7 is going to be a flop
Not a flop, but also not a great seller. Even Apple themselves don't have high hopes as they told their investors to lower the expectation of the phone, and also the companies they get their components from.

I'm of the opinion that the iPhone 7 is not going to be the cat's pajamas. I don't think we really need a thinner phone, without a headphone jack. I'm sure its the loss of that jack is the future, but I'm not ready to give it up :)

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
What definitely makes no sense: Packing ALL new features and an ALL NEW design into next years iPhone, yet that's what many people believe.
Apple has rarely introduced big new features in the newly designed phones, just because a new design itself is enough of a selling point, no need to sacrifice precious new features for that release.
They don't have a new design this year, so they have to sell it with new features, that is just logical. Of course the average consumer won't like it, because it looks the same, but for us tech enthusiasts this year's iPhone can be a decent upgrade. It most definitely won't be as terrible as many people are expecting...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
yet that's what many people believe.
I can't answer that, but it seems its general consensus is Apple (like intel) has moved away from its tick tock cycle, where the S version got few improvements which were mostly internal and the non-s got the bigger flashier updates, including a new exterior. This year apple is basically providing a tock type of update, a small set of internal improvements but nothing flashy.

Apple's competitors have been working hard and swinging from the fences, where as apple has really focused only on the thinness of the phone.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
New internals, better battery life, 3GB RAM and cheaper with a better screen than the SE (forgive me folks I love the concept and price of the SE, just spit-balling)? Yeah, then maybe I would consider.

With what has been rumored though; no thank you, especially if the rumors of the + getting the better bells & whistles. While I'd love the bigger screen estate the though of ponying up that $ plus carrier fees is a big old no - unless Apple gave me full retail price on the 6s back. :p

Reactions: jbachandouris

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
More than likely iPhone 7 will be the cats pajamas... Why wouldn't it not be? iPhone 6, iPhone 6S, iPhone SE... All pretty much the same overall... And then it's next iPhone 7 going to be even more of the same? I think not ... And with Samsung putting out the phones they are currently.. yeah sure to anybody thinking the iPhone 7 isn't going to destroy the current Samsung phones...

iPhone 7 is going to be something great don't worry.. And with it being great and with all these leaks and rumors right now saying it's not going to be that great will make it even better when it comes out.. And everyone will be on its jock strap even harder... Apple is pretty smart...

And with privacy being so hardcore now with Apple, there might of been leaks in the past on its phones, but iPhone 7 has to be a great phone and I think apple working hard on keeping it private as possible, more private than ever before... It's going to be totally different and better than the current iPhone... Anything less than great Apple will not accept on the iPhone 7...

Do you not think a galaxy S8 is not in the works? You really believe iPhone 7 is going to be a flop and they are going to wait until 2017 to do something great?

Many don't think like Apple or even have a business sense of what makes money... Common sense and how Apple does things tells me a lot...

Prepare to be disappointed then. Aside from the improved dual camera, the iphone 7 is going to be the same form factor with little other changes from the iphone 6s. All rumors indicate that Apple is saving it's radical redesign for the 10th anniversary iphone in 2017. The only other changes to the iPhone 7 will be a slightly bigger battery, moving the antenna bands to the edge of the phone and getting rid of the headphone jack.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
People need to check their expectations with anything that gets annual/scheduled updates.

Overall it's subjective. I've felt every single update when compared to the previous generation is incremental and never been the "cats pajamas". And I'm sure for me the 7 will be the same way.

And I'm perfectly fine with that.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

One iPhone for you in response to your statement about the greatness of Apple… iPhone 5c.

As far as Apple being smart at selling and getting people to buy all I can say to you is that out of the eight or nine Macs in my house only ONE is an Intel Mac and it's a 2006 MBP running Snow Leopard. The rest are PowerMacs, iMacs, iBooks and PowerBooks (G3, G4 and G5). The oldest is 1999. So much for Apple's power to get me to upgrade!

I only own an iPhone 6s+ because of an unfortunate series of events last year - NOT because Apple induced me to buy an iPhone with a fugly camera bulge and fugly looking antenna band.

I buy what I want and all Apple's marketing power has nothing to do with it.

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
I lost you OP. You kept rambling in circles. You could have said all you wanted to in 3 sentences.
Anyway who cares about how it competes with Samsung. People who already have smartphone for a while will buy based on ecosystem and the rest will buy based on price or promotions.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
When we look back at "all the rumors" about the 7, they basically came from one tweet, conflicting 3D renders, a suspiciously non revealing photograph, the conjectures of an "analysts" in Korea, and Apple's projection of world wide smartphone sales for the coming year.

Every tech site picked up those few rumors (which is all they are) and parrotted them, which got copied to other tech sites... Until the whole internet is abuzz with "all these rumors" about the upcoming iPhone 7.

There really isn't much to go by. A vague, unsubstantiated tweet, silly 3D conflicting renders that anyone can create, and the agenda driven prophesizing of anti-Apple competitors.

We don't know Jack about the next iPhone. ... Until September.

Reactions: ABC5S

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Cell Contracts have all but disappeared completely...
Keeping a phone for three years seems completely reasonable...

People up in 'hurr' have been asking for refinement, and this is what the 7 will be. People love that the S cycle is a refinement where they fix all the physical problems of the number cycle, so now you get another refinement cycle.

A year (a few months) from now when the the X phone is released (8, whatevah'), the build up will result in a explosive release of endorphins.

What I am very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very interested in is:

A: Will the reduced bands result in less cell signal?
B: How will it be introduced and sold? (The design is obviously not new, and people are going to expect new. I'm waiting for the chortles, snorts, and crickets...)

Reactions: ABC5S

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
People who already have smartphone for a while will buy based on ecosystem and the rest will buy based on price or promotions.
I buy based on looks. Even if I already have a smartphone. I keep and use my old phones as media devices.

If it looks good I will get it. Price can be overcome and promotions are great if I can use them. But looks are the prime reason I buy - everything else is secondary.

Not disagreeing with your post, just adding to it my reason as to why I buy. I know there are others out there who also see it the same way I do.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Assuming a phone based on rumours will be a great success....is not different from assuming it will be a flop.

Reactions: joeblow7777

journeyy

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
A: Will the reduced bands result in less cell signal?
I'm interested in that, too. I've never read a theory on how exactly Apple could give up the second antenna without losing reception quality. Were there any?

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
I buy based on looks. Even if I already have a smartphone. I keep and use my old phones as media devices.

If it looks good I will get it. Price can be overcome and promotions are great if I can use them. But looks are the prime reason I buy - everything else is secondary.

Not disagreeing with your post, just adding to it my reason as to why I buy. I know there are others out there who also see it the same way I do.
I agree about looks but all the lookers I want don't have the NA LTE bands. So my choices are limited to NA friendly phones only.
The 6 series to me is not really a looker like the a5 series were!

Reactions: eyoungren

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
2017 - Samsung Galaxy iPhone S8 edge

2016 - Lowered expectations for iPhone 7, more pleasant surprises, higher demand than expected. Success!

Should be a success. Plus, aren't we aware already that reviewers are usually iPhone users (*cough* Anandtech)? When was the last time an iPhone got a terrible review? 5c?Like Star Wars, iPhones are critic-proofm Even if it sells only 30% less than 6 and 6s, that's still more successful than almost every other flagship. Understand lower sales for iPhones is considered record-breaking for other companies.

Am I excited about iPhone 7. Not really or maybe not now. I look more forward to the upcoming NBA season to see if we will see a Warriors vs Cavs Finals every year until 2019? Five consecutive matchups? Maybe! I look forward to watch Pacquiao box again and also Star Wars 8, 9, Han Solo, and Rogue One. I look forward to the next season of Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead. Or the upcoming announcements for the Nintendo NX or PS4 Neo.

Another iPhone? I will get around to it. But it should surprise in sales and be successful no matter how slow sales are in the beginning. We have short memories. Last week, only thing on my mind was those shootings. Next month, maybe Olympics. Then US Elections. I will likely lose anticipation with iPhone or forget about these threads once I get it. Rogue One in December.

The blind are the ones really judging an iPhone update from simply by the exterior design. A shell that doesn't cost anymore to manufacture than the display and can easily be duplicated by Chinese brands. How many iPhone 4 copycats propped up? Easy to make a shell pretty. Seen China-made white box phones that has Samsung logo on the back but looks like an HTC phone. Design whores are for suckers just like pretty graphics in video games doesn't mean it is fun to play.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The blind are the ones really judging an iPhone update from simply by the exterior design. A shell that doesn't cost anymore to manufacture than the display and can easily be duplicated by Chinese brands. How many iPhone 4 copycats propped up? Easy to make a shell pretty. Seen China-made white box phones that has Samsung logo on the back but looks like an HTC phone. Design whores are for suckers just like pretty graphics in video games doesn't mean it is fun to play.
Opinion.

I disagree.

I look for looks first and then specs second. If I like the way it looks even though specs aren't the best I will get it. Because I live with my phone for 3.5 or more years and I don't want to hate what I am looking at.

I use my phone for three things. Phone calls, texts and email, social media and internet browsing.

A top spec camera, the fastest processors and the best radios aren't a consideration for me in light of the three things I just named. If I can make a call and pull up a webpage I'm good.

Some people do not need to be on the bleeding edge of tech.

As to why I stay with Apple however, when I could pay cheaper for knockoffs…iOS. And jailbreaking lets me get rid of the annoyances of iOS while keeping the fluidity and functionality.

Reactions: bandofbrothers

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
People who already have smartphone for a while will buy based on ecosystem and the rest will buy based on price or promotions.

This is why I prefer to use multi-platform apps, so I'm not tied to any specific OS or ecosystem. As far as price or promotions, sure those play a role in a decision, but for me it's all about the functionality of a device.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I'm an Apple junky but.

The smart phone market is pretty filled up so there won't be the growth as has existed in the past. I think most people, me included, can't imagine new features that would get me to get a new phone before I think the old one is done and paid for. I have a plan that I pay every month and can turn in after 1/2 paid but I"m not sure I want to do that. If the new phone had every feature that everyone wants I still couldn't see doing a phone this year (I have a 6s).
I think I'm more typical that the average person on macrumors and it is the typical person that drives the volumes of sales.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Opinion.

I disagree.

I look for looks first and then specs second. If I like the way it looks even though specs aren't the best I will get it. Because I live with my phone for 3.5 or more years and I don't want to hate what I am looking at.

I use my phone for three things. Phone calls, texts and email, social media and internet browsing.

A top spec camera, the fastest processors and the best radios aren't a consideration for me in light of the three things I just named. If I can make a call and pull up a webpage I'm good.

Some people do not need to be on the bleeding edge of tech.

As to why I stay with Apple however, when I could pay cheaper for knockoffs…iOS. And jailbreaking lets me get rid of the annoyances of iOS while keeping the fluidity and functionality.
And there's absolutely nothing wrong with this approach. As long as the device meets your needs, which it sounds like it does. For long term use I would say the iPhone is probably the best device out there. My dad is still using an iPhone 5 with zero issues and will likely keep it until it no longer works.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
And there's absolutely nothing wrong with this approach. As long as the device meets your needs, which it sounds like it does. For long term use I would say the iPhone is probably the best device out there. My dad is still using an iPhone 5 with zero issues and will likely keep it until it no longer works.
Yeah, I use my iPhone 5 as a media device. Had it in here at work yesterday streaming Google Music while I was working.

Since I don't really use my phone/devices beyond a specific purpose, how a device looks is more important to me. That's not to say that I'm going to invest in a great looking device that cannot even keep the time straight though. But I do understand the need of high end specs for those who do things with their devices I don't.

If that were me, looks probably would become secondary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.