Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Turian.Spectre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
this is a part of my previous problem that I still have no answers to... https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1209927/

i thought to maybe remaster the dvd. so i created an image using my windows disk into a cdr file with disk utility, then i used the terminal to change the cdr into iso, when i try to burn the iso to dvd it says "unable to burn to this disk, try a different brand or lower speeds"
I tried 3 different brands. Is Lion not only unable to install windows, but also can't burn iso to dvd? thinking about downgrading back to snow leopard...

Last edited:

ensjesse

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
this is a part of my previous problem that I still have no answers to... https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1209927/

i thought to maybe remaster the dvd. so i created an image using my windows disk into a cdr file with disk utility, then i used the terminal to change the cdr into iso, when i try to burn the iso to dvd it says "unable to burn to this disk, try a different brand or lower speeds"
I tried 3 different brands. Is Lion not only unable to install windows, but also can't burn iso to dvd? thinking about downgrading back to snow leopard...

I reviewed your other issue. First off, do yourself a favor and get install refit. It's a great boot menu, if your computer will actually read this disc then refit will allow you to startup off of it. Install windows on your bc partition and your ready to go. As far as the issue of needing option for Lion. Make sure it's selected as your startup disk under system in your preference pane. If it still won't automatically startup off of it you could always try resetting your PRAM. Either way refit is the way to go, that way you get a choice every startup or you can make a default. As far as your disk image goes, you shouldn't just rename an image i mean it could work under certain conditions but not all. You should be burning and making iso images. There are plenty of nice pieces of software to do this, burn or toast. If you downloaded your copy of windows from MS digital river than you should have an image file then you can then use the ms tool to convert to a proper iso and burn. Hope this helps some.

Jesse

Turian.Spectre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
I reviewed your other issue. First off, do yourself a favor and get install refit. It's a great boot menu, if your computer will actually read this disc then refit will allow you to startup off of it. Install windows on your bc partition and your ready to go. As far as the issue of needing option for Lion. Make sure it's selected as your startup disk under system in your preference pane. If it still won't automatically startup off of it you could always try resetting your PRAM. Either way refit is the way to go, that way you get a choice every startup or you can make a default. As far as your disk image goes, you shouldn't just rename an image i mean it could work under certain conditions but not all. You should be burning and making iso images. There are plenty of nice pieces of software to do this, burn or toast. If you downloaded your copy of windows from MS digital river than you should have an image file then you can then use the ms tool to convert to a proper iso and burn. Hope this helps some.

Jesse

refit did not help. when i hold down the option key at boot i still get only 1 option - lion. cant see the cd or the bootcamp partition. if i boot without holding the opt key, it automatically tries to boot to bootcamp to begin the windows installation, and i get a black screen that says "no bootable devices found --- insert disk and press any key"...
thanks for the try.

ensjesse

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well in that case your bootcamp partition is corrupted because refit should see it regardless. I say you start fresh. Make a better boot cd to start. Boot lion off USB and start fresh, delete all partitions on your driver including the efi and hidden, start fresh... install lion, then run bootcamp and make partition, then install windows and delete bc partition, format and then install windows then hold option at startup and select your lion install, install refit and rebless. Should be good to go, there's no other way you can have issues like this unless you just have a problem with your prev installs. You need to wipe your drive and start fresh. I just installed Win 7 64 on two mb pros this way an hour ago just to make sure I could still start up and select lion without refit. But refit makes it easier.

Turian.Spectre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well in that case your bootcamp partition is corrupted because refit should see it regardless. I say you start fresh. Make a better boot cd to start. Boot lion off USB and start fresh, delete all partitions on your driver including the efi and hidden, start fresh... install lion, then run bootcamp and make partition, then install windows and delete bc partition, format and then install windows then hold option at startup and select your lion install, install refit and rebless. Should be good to go, there's no other way you can have issues like this unless you just have a problem with your prev installs. You need to wipe your drive and start fresh. I just installed Win 7 64 on two mb pros this way an hour ago just to make sure I could still start up and select lion without refit. But refit makes it easier.

when you installed it recently it was on lion? and what cd did you have? bought in a store, or downloaded from microsoft like mine? I will try to redo everything again like you said... will let you know how it went.

ensjesse

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
when you installed it recently it was on lion? and what cd did you have? bought in a store, or downloaded from microsoft like mine? I will try to redo everything again like you said... will let you know how it went.

I did two just to test this and because I needed windows on those machines anyway figured why not. Using Lion 10.7.2 on both machines with a clean install after complete format and partition from cml diskutility. I used two discs my Windows 7 64 bit professional edition from ms digital river site burned in windows and a pressed disc for ultimate from ms. Both work fine. The burned
one is using memorex as the media.
good luck.

Turian.Spectre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
I did two just to test this and because I needed windows on those machines anyway figured why not. Using Lion 10.7.2 on both machines with a clean install after complete format and partition from cml diskutility. I used two discs my Windows 7 64 bit professional edition from ms digital river site burned in windows and a pressed disc for ultimate from ms. Both work fine. The burned
one is using memorex as the media.
good luck.

did not work... guess i will wait a month or so for any updates to come out, if there arent any i will revert back to snow leopard. how do you have 10.7.2? mine is 10.7, and the software update says no new updates available.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
In both threads you keep saying you can't burn the ISO nor can you read the previously burned disc. Did you ever think maybe your SuperDrive is bad? Can you burn a music CD in iTunes or a data disc using Finder?

If your SuperDrive is bad, there are plenty of places online that sell them or Apple will replace it for free if your under Apple Care (or for money if your not). If you decide to put one in yourself make sure you get the correct sized screw driver and read a good tutorial (iFixIt has some good ones).

You could also try making a Windows 7 Setup USB stick with the ISO you have, there should be a few guides if you Google it (you might need rEFIt to boot it).

Turian.Spectre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
In both threads you keep saying you can't burn the ISO nor can you read the previously burned disc. Did you ever think maybe your SuperDrive is bad? Can you burn a music CD in iTunes or a data disc using Finder?

If your SuperDrive is bad, there are plenty of places online that sell them or Apple will replace it for free if your under Apple Care (or for money if your not). If you decide to put one in yourself make sure you get the correct sized screw driver and read a good tutorial (iFixIt has some good ones).

You could also try making a Windows 7 Setup USB stick with the ISO you have, there should be a few guides if you Google it (you might need rEFIt to boot it).
Guess i should have been more clear on that. my superdrive is fine. it can play dvds, music, rip and burn music cds, but it just wont recognize my windows cd (says its blank) which i have used on this machine before, and this started only after lion.

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
I had a different issue which was keeping me from burning ISO's to DVD. I called apple - they had me reset pram and smc, then all worked well.

I didn't read all of the thread carefully, so not sure if you have already tried this or not.

Turian.Spectre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
I had a different issue which was keeping me from burning ISO's to DVD. I called apple - they had me reset pram and smc, then all worked well.

I didn't read all of the thread carefully, so not sure if you have already tried this or not.

I have not. Just tried both of those, did not help...

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Do you have access to an external DVD burner just to rule out the drive itself? How about burning the ISO you created using a different box to rule out a bad ISO?

Turian.Spectre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Do you have access to an external DVD burner just to rule out the drive itself? How about burning the ISO you created using a different box to rule out a bad ISO?

the Iso is fine, I installed from it before. I dont have an external dvd device, guess i will get one to try it out.

HowardJaxMug

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
the Iso is fine, I installed from it before. I dont have an external dvd device, guess i will get one to try it out.

Having related problem on my new MBP - came w/ Lion.

Several places have mentioned that the disk utility doesn't properly burn ISO's. It does burn, but the CRC-32 checks of the iso on disk and the burned dvd have different values. - But they are always the same incorrect values.

- H

Turian.Spectre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Having related problem on my new MBP - came w/ Lion.

Several places have mentioned that the disk utility doesn't properly burn ISO's. It does burn, but the CRC-32 checks of the iso on disk and the burned dvd have different values. - But they are always the same incorrect values.

- H

I gave up and did a clean install of Snow leopard. my mbp reads the windows disk fine now, so i can say i am a 100% sure that my superdrive is fine. Ive never had issues with osx systems before lion. it feels as if lion on mac is like vista on windows. Problems/issues, released too early, and possibly will never be fixed.

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
I gave up and did a clean install of Snow leopard. my mbp reads the windows disk fine now, so i can say i am a 100% sure that my superdrive is fine. Ive never had issues with osx systems before lion. it feels as if lion on mac is like vista on windows. Problems/issues, released too early, and possibly will never be fixed.

I'm not sure it will be their Vista, but I am waiting a while before I even consider an upgrade to Lion. Probably wait until 10.7.3 or .4. Right now SL works great for me and I don't see Lion bringing anything to to table other than growing pains at this point.

Anyway, good to hear your superdrive works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.