Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
The problem with the last iPT was that it wasn't an iPhone without the phone. It didn't match the current screen size, touch id, and other options. I bought my last one as a test device to run apps on that I write. It works great as a test device for iPhone development because it's cheap (no monthly payments).

Apple blew it when it didn't bring it up to par last time. They were far behind and still wanted 1st rate price.

People can use the iPT as a WiFi phone and data device for people that don't want or need a contract. WiFi is MUCH more common now, so it's a cost effective device. Also used in business as an inventory tool or controller for home automation devices, etc.

I don't mind they don't drop the price, I mind that it's yesteryear's tech for today's price. It was a LONG wait last time for something that really wasn't up to date.

They need to update it to the size of the iPhone 6 and make the price more attractive, otherwise, not much reason to bother.

Sorry for the rant, but devs don't need more phones and we don't get a discount, gotta buy a new setup all the time just to keep up, the touch was good for testing and more cost effective.

Also, great for parents that have young kids that don't need an actual phone.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
If you ask my personal guess is because they are updating them to ios 10, changing also the package covers too, but no, i don't see any new models happening in the short time. It took Apple ages to release that 6 AGES.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2014
Something I noticed in the September Event.

Around the 4:58 mark, there's a slide showing iOS devices, positioning them as "the world's most popular gaming devices". The usual suspects, iPhone and iPad, are there, however so is the iPod Touch. I don't recall Apple showing the Touch at an event at all in the last few years; excluding the iOS update lists.

iPod Touch possibly seeing a full-on rebound?

Reactions: na1577

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I just wish they'd bump the RAM to 2 gig and the flash to say least 512. Touch ID would be nice too but I don't care about that much.

I DO NOT want it any bigger. I love it because it's small and follows me around the house in whatever I'm wearing because it's so light and unobtrusive.

BOOMSTICK

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
As I've seen mentioned elsewhere on this forum, if there is a refresh, it will probably be next year to mark the 10th anniv.

Reactions: arefbe

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
It's become a redundant product with the heavy adoption of smartphones.

Yet it serves as a great air drop device and remote for a home or a non-phone for the kids to use around the house. We have several in our home we use for remotes and the kids use them on the radios in their rooms for streaming, or in the car. We have one in each car that syncs over wifi so we don't have to load up the phones with music. We're not giving the kids phones for a few more years.

There is nothing redundant about it. If it were a wifi only iPad would be redundant.

Reactions: 1458279

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Even though it seems early for a new model, considering the years the iPod touch has been updated (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, and 2015), if we assume that the 6th generation would have been released in late 2014, then it makes more sense.

Still, I would be shocked if Apple updated the iPod touch in the Fall. There has to be another explanation. Maybe they will take mobile gaming more seriously with an updated model?
AFAIK, Apple's taken gaming as seriously as they have wanted. From their perspective, they're getting lots of cuts from IAP from the big companies on the AppStore. I'd like to think that if folks were THAT into gaming, they would've bought an ipad or the newer iphones by now.
[doublepost=1476911994][/doublepost]
The problem with the last iPT was that it wasn't an iPhone without the phone. It didn't match the current screen size, touch id, and other options. I bought my last one as a test device to run apps on that I write. It works great as a test device for iPhone development because it's cheap (no monthly payments).
This is one mainstay of it... devs love the IpT because it mimics some environments of older iPhones. Also, they're cheap.

Even with corporations... ordering 100 iPod Touches has significant savings over 100 of even the cheapest, new iPhones.

I recall someone here on MR quoting Apple saying if somebody's going to dig into their sales, they'd rather be the ones to do it (not some other company)

I don't mind they don't drop the price, I mind that it's yesteryear's tech for today's price. It was a LONG wait last time for something that really wasn't up to date.
Well, here's the thing... I was under the impression they wanted the best of both worlds... they didn't really want to beef it up, but STILL wanted to charge what they're charging now. In other words, no dice no matter how we roll it.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
AFAIK, Apple's taken gaming as seriously as they have wanted. From their perspective, they're getting lots of cuts from IAP from the big companies on the AppStore. I'd like to think that if folks were THAT into gaming, they would've bought an ipad or the newer iphones by now.
[doublepost=1476911994][/doublepost]This is one mainstay of it... devs love the IpT because it mimics some environments of older iPhones. Also, they're cheap.

Even with corporations... ordering 100 iPod Touches has significant savings over 100 of even the cheapest, new iPhones.

I recall someone here on MR quoting Apple saying if somebody's going to dig into their sales, they'd rather be the ones to do it (not some other company)

Well, here's the thing... I was under the impression they wanted the best of both worlds... they didn't really want to beef it up, but STILL wanted to charge what they're charging now. In other words, no dice no matter how we roll it.
I really think this will backfire on Apple. They really have no offerings in the growth economies like Asia and other poor nations. With the vast majority of people in the world living on under $2/day... buying an Apple product just doesn't work for them.

It's sad because as an app dev, we're left out of the growth markets.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
if they made a larger screen version, gaming would be much better. Reading books in bed, one handed, would be great. (But update that Books app too please... such wide margins. I can fit more text on a 4 inch Android device than a 5.5 inch iPhone almost...). You ending up reading a paragraph per Apple screen. Not all of us want to take an iPad to bed to read.

Sounds like you want something smaller than an iPad Mini but larger than an iPod Touch. Sounds nice to me too, but I wouldn't hold my breath...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.