Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flashymac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Mission control was working fine until today. I was testing out the desktops feature when I realized i couldn't delete any of them. I now have about 10 desktops open that I can't delete. The little "X" that normally appears is not there! Is there any way to reset mission control or force close the desktops. Logging out, restarting, shutting down, none of them work, even with the " restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps " box UN checked in the options. Please help, thanks!

Charcoalwerks

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
Maryland
I noticed that you can't close full screen app desktops. If you press option key you should get x's over the desktops not running full screen apps.

flashymac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
I've heard before about pressing different keys to bring up the x's but absolutely nothing works. No matter what key(s) I press no x's appear. Is there anyway to just reset mission control? O, and none of these desktops I'm trying to close are full screen apps.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Guess you're stuck with them.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Did you uncheck "Reopen windows" when restarting? If not, do it, because it's the only "effective way" to reboot.

flashymac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Yes, I have unchecked that box, yet still the desktops are there. Another strange thing, even with the box unchecked, lion restores my previous windows after the restart, which it shouldn't, right?

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
When you press control make sure your mouse pointer is on one of the desktops. I don't get the X unless I do it this way.

Put mouse pointer on one of the small desk tops at top of the screen, then press control key,

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
When you press control make sure your mouse pointer is on one of the desktops. I don't get the X unless I do it this way.

Put mouse pointer on one of the small desk tops at top of the screen, then press control key,
It's not control it's option. As soon as you press it the X pops up. You have to hold it down though or it'll go away. It doesn't matter where the mouse is.

flashymac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
When I press option, the tab to add a new desktops comes up but not the X!!! I can't understand why they suddenly stopped appearing.:mad:

flashymac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Problem solved! I reinstalled lion by pressing Command-R during startup and when the insulation was done THe X's appeared!!!:D

Disqus Mike

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2016
Problem solved! I reinstalled lion by pressing Command-R during startup and when the insulation was done THe X's appeared!!!:D
This worked without having to reinstall the System.

Go to System Preference/Mission Control and enable EVERY CHECKBOX. Close System Preferences and invoke Mission Control and while holding the option key click on all the little full screen icons in the top left of each phantom window

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.