Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ralphgmr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Hi all,

I just acquired a Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2015 model. I had a Dell U2515H monitor already. The cable provided from Dell is a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort. I was using this same cable with my Macbook Air late 2011 and it was working. I tried using the same cable with the Macbook Pro that I just bought and it doesn't work. I picked an old and only HDMI cable that I had plugged to my TV and that works fine.

I'm wondering why it is not working with the DisplayPort cable provided since it worked with the old Macbook Air. Doesn't this new Thunderbolt accept this type of cable? Because if not, I will have to buy another HDMI cable :-/

On another note I'm a bit worried that something might be wrong with the Thunderbolt ports? I got this refurbished Macbook Pro from Apple Store...

Thanks,

Ralph

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)
[doublepost=1452786735][/doublepost]Problem just solved!

As incredible as it sounds, I realised that I was plugging the mini DisplayPort cable side upside down into the Macbook Pro!

I thought those cables were designed to have a plug which prevents this kind of thing! :-(

I bet I was not the only one doing that.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I thought those cables were designed to have a plug which prevents this kind of thing! :-(

143751-minidisplayport_original.png

If it was fitting into that keyed port upside down, it's because you were forcing it.

ralphgmr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
My brand new macbook Pro is one of the most expensive models. I just opened the box for the first time yesterday evening and was setting everything up. Believe me, I was being very careful. The cable was getting plugged into the port upside down like hot knife would go into butter. Maybe the plug of the cable was bad manufactured and slightly smaller than it should be? I don't know. I was really surprised that that would be possible. That is something that it can't happen with a HDMI cable or even USB.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Maybe the plug of the cable was bad manufactured and slightly smaller than it should be?

That's entirely possible. I just tried to plug in my TB gigabit Ethernet adapter upside down and it doesn't fit.

That is something that it can't happen with a HDMI cable or even USB.

Surprisingly, I've seen this before. I used to work at an AASP and we'd see cases where customers had plugged in a FireWire 400 cable upside down and fried part of their logic board. Maybe they had cheap cables that were just loose.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
I too was able to plug a Dell-supplied mDP-to-DP cable upside down into my new 2015 15" MBP. I believe the connectors on the Dell cables are sloppy enough to allow this to happen.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I too was able to plug a Dell-supplied mDP-to-DP cable upside down into my new 2015 15" MBP. I believe the connectors on the Dell cables are sloppy enough to allow this to happen.
- Just tried the same thing. My Dell mDP-DP will also fit in the hole upside down, easily. Unfortunate design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.