Can't connect USB printer to Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sammik, Jan 19, 2011.

1. sammik macrumors newbie

Hey, how can I get my printer to show up on my MacPro. I am not sure how to find where to see if it connected. It is not showing up on my desktop or dock.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

What do you see under SystemPreferences->Print&Fax?

3. sammik thread starter macrumors newbie

4. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

which printer, have you tried installing any software either from a disk or from the manufacturers website

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Both ends of USB cable connected firmly? Printer turned on? :)

Have you tried a different USB cable?

Also -- you've said MacPro in one spot, Macbook Pro in another. They're different machines, so it might be worthwhile to clarify which one you're talking about -- though it shouldn't really matter.

As nunes013 asks, what is the printer and did it come with any drivers on a disk or downloaded from the manufacturer's website?

It'd be best to give more detail as to what you're doing and what the setup is; your question as asked isn't much different from telling a mechanic "my car doesn't work, what's wrong?" :)

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

In the printer setup, press the little "+" button. Any new printer is detected just fine, but not automatically added to your list of printers. Where I'm working there is about a dozen printers that are detected; would be ridiculous if they were all added automatically to my printer list.