Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
I've been researching this all night. I am trying to copy all of my media to my external drive and every couple of files I get an error like the one below. After a bunch of googleing I found a temp "resolution" using terminal that involved a "dot_clean" command but Apple addressed this issue in April 2010 so you should not have to do this any longer. Still, I tried anyway and it did not work for me.

Also, my drive is formatted as Mac-OS extended. I really need this to work and cannot figure out a solution. Thanks!

PS: It is not any specific type file. It will copy 10 or so MP3's and then bring the error up for the same file type. It is also doing this for my (iTunes created) album artwork folder and my videos.

error-36.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
@iMJustAGuy:
Go to the info window of both volumes and tell Mac OS X to ignore the volume owners! Did you try to "repair" the disks with Apples Disk Utility?

And btw, use the PNG-format for such screenshots! It looks much better. :)

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
@iMJustAGuy:
Go to the info window of both volumes and tell Mac OS X to ignore the volume owners! Did you try to "repair" the disks with Apples Disk Utility?

And btw, use the PNG-format for such screenshots! It looks much better. :)

I've not done that specifically (repair) but I did completely reformat it. Isn't that equivilant of repairing? As for the screenshot, I just Google Imaged it, it's not mine :p.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
I think it could be a hardware error. Check the cables and internal (SATA?) connectors of the external drive and of your Mac! If possible try it with a different cable (same interface)!

In humid or corrosive environments some copper/whatever contacts develop high resistances. This could be a problem.

I'll try it! Thanks!

Anyone else have any ideas?

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
I'll try it! Thanks!

Unfortunately this did not work. And I tried it a couple of times and it starts to stop at the same file. (Not that that's the only file it does it for). If it was the hardware messing up, would it be the same files that it messes up on? It seems as if it would be random.

In any event, this did not work. Thanks for trying though. Anyone else? I really REALLY need this to work. Thanks.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
UPDATE!: I know I've broken the double (tripple :p) post rule about 5 times but I keep discovering/trying new things!

I partitioned my drive and was just going to copy all my data to the partition and then do a clean install on the Mac HD (partition A) and I get the SAME error message..... WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!! I need major help please.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
UPDATE!: I know I've broken the double (tripple :p) post rule about 5 times but I keep discovering/trying new things!

I partitioned my drive and was just going to copy all my data to the partition and then do a clean install on the Mac HD (partition A) and I get the SAME error message..... WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!! I need major help please.

If you don't have a backup of your computer yet, now would be the time to make one. If it isn't too late. In the developers' documentation it says:

Code:
  ioErr                         = -36,  /*I/O error (bummers)*/

One of the hard drives involved is broken or breaking. If a Time Machine backup doesn't work, copy from your home directory whatever you can.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
If you don't have a backup of your computer yet, now would be the time to make one. If it isn't too late. In the developers' documentation it says:

Code:
  ioErr                         = -36,  /*I/O error (bummers)*/

One of the hard drives involved is broken or breaking. If a Time Machine backup doesn't work, copy from your home directory whatever you can.

Oh perfect. And guess whose one year warranty expired last month? And guess who didn't purchase an extended warranty?

That would probably explain the entire reason WHY I want to back up all my stuff... all the time (a couple times an hour) everything will just freeze up for 10-30 seconds with the rainbow spinner. My mouse can move but nothing is clickable and there are no hover effects. It does this quite often now and I have no idea why as I keep my computer very clean. This is very depressing news...

I would LOVE to back it up but that's the issue here, lol. :(

Also, how does that coding mean that it's a HDD failure. Thanks for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.