Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I love the look of the JB. It's just simply stunning but I hate scratches, prints I don't mind. It would be impossible to use naked due to the micro scratches and thus I'd need a case. With the Matte, it's also nice but less likely to get micro scratches from normal use.

Decisions decisions. I currently have both, which are week 41's with no hiss.

Schizoide

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2016
Well first of all, there is a hiss, but you simply can't hear it (high frequency, not everyone can hear those). Second of all, jet black is a waste of money IMO. They scratch so easily and when you slap a case on it nobody will see that you have the jet black. However, you could get a transparent case so that you can still see the back. If you want to use the phone naked, there's no doubt; keep the matte black iPhone.

Reactions: janeauburn

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Get the Jet Black! I was exactly in your boat, but I'm telling you, those micro scracth issue has been blown out of proportion. I carry mine since two weeks naked and it's all good! It's super sturdy and feels just so good in the hand, way better than the matte black. Also you'll have a phone that truly feels new, not like the same design.

LKN

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Yorkshire
Matte black i would say.

Even Apple admit that JB gets Micro abrasions so its just a matter of time youll see swirls/scratches. Also it gets a lot of fingerprints and our hands has natural oils so youll almost always see fingerprints.

Also once you out a case on JB youll just cover it up so no point in gettibg JB unless you go caseless.

MB feels better to me. Everyones has their own opnion so you need to decide.

Reactions: ABC5S

earthdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2014
I started with a Matte and it was great. Then I got the JB I ordered. I opted to return the Matte for JB, its personal preference. I went JB to sell it faster next year for best resell value.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
Got Matt black iPhone 7 128 GB today,after hearing all these stickers peeling off and scratches problem on jet black color i have to ditch the idea of getting jet black color because i hate scratches

Reactions: IronH4WK

metzy25

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Well first of all, there is a hiss, but you simply can't hear it (high frequency, not everyone can hear those). Second of all, jet black is a waste of money IMO. They scratch so easily and when you slap a case on it nobody will see that you have the jet black. However, you could get a transparent case so that you can still see the back. If you want to use the phone naked, there's no doubt; keep the matte black iPhone.
There both the same price. So how is jet black a waste of money?

pdauser92

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
London, UK
I was just about to post this.

@maka344, Apple says the phone *will* scratch. It may do so even with a case on it. If that's a problem for you, don't buy it. Easy.

Correction. Apple didn't say that the JB phones would scratch more - what they actually said was:

"The high-gloss finish of the jet black iPhone 7 is achieved through a precision, nine-step anodisation and polishing process. Its surface is equally as hard as other anodised Apple products; however, its high shine may show fine micro-abrasions with use. If you are concerned about this, we suggest you use one of the many cases available to protect your iPhone."

People seem more interested in repeating stuff they've heard, rather than looking things up for themselves...

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Correction. Apple didn't say that the JB phones would scratch more - what they actually said was:

"The high-gloss finish of the jet black iPhone 7 is achieved through a precision, nine-step anodisation and polishing process. Its surface is equally as hard as other anodised Apple products; however, its high shine may show fine micro-abrasions with use. If you are concerned about this, we suggest you use one of the many cases available to protect your iPhone."

People seem more interested in repeating stuff they've heard, rather than looking things up for themselves...

I stand corrected. And I did, in fact, read what Apple officially said. I just paraphrased poorly. No need to make baseless assumptions.

In any event, the phone will have microabraions if you use it in a way that many would consider normal use.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Do you buy your phones each year and sell them? If so don't get jet black

Matte is great and love mine.

Reactions: ABC5S

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Give it a few more months jet black owners, then come back here and tell us how much it stood up :D

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
matte black (had this one for 1 week) out of the box = a soapblock so you need a case

jetblack = perfect grip, sticks most of the time to my hand while holding

ymmv

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
Ignore the drama queens, the micro scratches only show if you look for them. Been using my Jet Black without a case since I got it and it still looks great. Don't let the drama queens on here put you off getting it if you like the look and feel of it. Go to and Apple Store and hold both and see which you prefer. They both feel very different so hopefully you'll have a clear preference.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
I love the look of the JB. It's just simply stunning but I hate scratches, prints I don't mind. It would be impossible to use naked due to the micro scratches and thus I'd need a case. With the Matte, it's also nice but less likely to get micro scratches from normal use.

Decisions decisions. I currently have both, which are week 41's with no hiss.

Perhaps helpful for JB owners for back as well as screen.
http://kristallglobal.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.