Can't decide... high end cMBP vs low end rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WRXHokie, Jul 23, 2012.

1. WRXHokie macrumors regular

WRXHokie

I'm in the market for a new laptop, but can't really decide. The cMBP has the speed and storage I need, but the rMBP has that nice screen and is more travel friendly.

My needs are pretty typical... I game (WoW mostly) and do school work on it. I also run Windows for work on it, so hard drive space is critical. But in the same respect, I travel a good bit for work so the lighter weight rMBP would be nice. My eyes are not the best so the retina display would be nice, but I'm also considering the high res cMBP with an anti-glare screen.

I'm having trouble deciding cause the pros/cons are pretty even on both sides.

Any advice... I change my mind on this every day it seems.

2. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Welcome to the club!! http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1408732 :D

I'm leaning towards the cMBP with HR + AG, and choose between the 1TB 5400 or 750 7200 rpm HDD [ choice given to me by Apple for the same price ]

The 2.7 Processor is def. an overkill for me.

The base rMBP with 16GB + freebies [ AC ; Bag ; Super Drive etc ] is also a huge attraction, but I'm concerned what happens if the battery needs replacement.. I'll probably have to wait a while to get my computer back ? Also, what about the screen lag I keep reading about or that MS Office [ which is a must for me ] looks *strange*.

I'm also not a huge fan of the Magsafe 2 [ prefer the L shaped charger ] and the fact that I might need to work outdoors occasionally and the Retina isn't as bright or AG as the HR | AG cMBP !

The lack of optical drive doesn't bother me much because I'm getting an external for it. I also really like the built in HDMI, USB ports on both sides, much better cooling system on the Retina.

If I were to get the Retina, it would need to be either the base with 16GB RAM or the 2.6/512GB version with 8GB RAM and no AppleCare.

I'm so confused too! :confused: I'm a typical Libran :eek:

3. WRXHokie thread starter macrumors regular

WRXHokie

The problem is i want to get the retina pro, but I really need the higher end one, but its so freaking expensive. I just cant justify spending 3k on a laptop. Thats just too much.

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

get the classic base model with the hi-res and antiglare, add your own 8gb of ram ($50) Its better for gaming, and its better for windows. and unless you're working with super hi-res photos you really wont miss the retina display

5. ColoArtist macrumors regular

Why a high end cMBP vs a low end rMBP?

Once you start adding onto the cMBP the price can quickly overshoot even a high end rMBP.

If you've got the bucks for a high end cMBP why not go with the rMBP and get the lighter machine with speedy drive and the super screen?

Just askin'

:apple:

Update: I see you answered the question while I was formulating my question. Never mind. ;)

6. WRXHokie thread starter macrumors regular

WRXHokie

High end cMBP comes to about 2200, same for low end rMBP with 16GB RAM. High end rMBP is about 2900 with tax.

7. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

If I was buying a new computer this year, I would buy the rMBP.

8. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

No it doesn't? Even with the student discount, higher end version of the CMBP + 256GB SSD, and screen upgrade is around $2500? and that's not counting for your 16GB ram upgrade on the RMBP.

Even if you buy your own 256GB SSD its still about $200 and the ram is about $100, so still around $2300...

9. Drask macrumors regular

How is the cMBP better for gaming if the rMBP has a much higher clocked card and a better heat system? How is it better for windows as well?

10. devman macrumors 65816

devman

I think he meant like for like - as in adding a 512 SSD etc.

11. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

12. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

because of the retina display, to drive the higher pixel density apple had to clock the GPU as high as they could, its only 150mhz faster than the cMBP so it does not really make all that much difference. But trying to run games on the retina can cause them to look poor because they aren't designed for the higher pixel count.

----------

"Classic" macbook pro, non retinia version. Personally i think classic mbp should be used to refer to the non unibody design, but whatever...

13. Drask macrumors regular

Sorry I was being sarcastic. Let me explain:

As said in another thread, the GPU inside the retina macbook pro is actually clocked higher than the 660m, if that's "not much" of a difference for you, I'm sure 5-10 fps increase is a lot for laptop gamers. Why is it possible only in the retina? because of the heat system, which means the machine will run less hot, also with less noise while gaming.

You're arguing about the resolution, while I'm sure you won't be able to play crysis 2 at 2880x1800, it's certainly playable at 1440x900 or even at 1600x900 without looking bad (check out youtube videos), of course you don't get the crisp details of the native retina resolution, but you don't get that either on the cMBP.

Speakers wise, it's obvious that the retina has a better audio system, so are the double microphones (Using ventrilo or skype to game is very common).

It's also very common to plug the machine to an external to game, rMBP will win hands down on this one, no need to explain, right?

I'm not trying to be rude, but you failed to realize you can change the resolution in games without looking fuzzy. Also note that SSD will help in loading times, in a game such as WoW (which the OP said he played).

I also fail to realize how is windows better under cMBP.

14. WRXHokie thread starter macrumors regular

WRXHokie

I'm not getting an SSD.

15. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

If you buy a Retina you are :p

----------

yes, i know what they are clocked, the cMBP's 650m is 775, the retinas is ~925 and the 660m is 835

I have no real experience with the retina im only going by what ive read, that windows doesn't look good on it because its not optimized, if I'm mistaken, then forgive me.

16. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Then you can't really compare the cMBP to the rMBP, or any sort of pricing at that pont...

17. jcpb macrumors 6502a

You're missing out.

I've gone SSD on my desktop as an OS drive a full two years ago and haven't looked back since.

18. appletechpro macrumors regular

rMBP is the better deal... I'm about to snag one off eBay...

19. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

rMBP all the way. Why would you want a Chinese rip off cMBP cause i only see Retina MacBook Pro (rMBP) and MacBook Pro (MBP) in Apple's website.

20. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

huh :confused: Nice try at comedy... Don't quit your day job! :rolleyes:

cMBP has been widely accepted here as an acronym for the non-retina MBP.

21. Slivortal macrumors 6502

Then I guess you've made your decision...? :p

Honestly, I'd go for an RMBP and grab an external (you can pick up 500GB or more for like $75-$100). 256GB should be enough for on-board storage, and an SSD will make your computer a lot faster.

22. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I own both Late 2011 15" MBP 2.4 i7 & Mid 2012 Retina 2.3 Base and the Retina is the better machine by a good margin, unless you absolutely feel that upgrading of the storage device is a necessity, forget about the RAM as you can order a Retina with 16Gb should that be a requirement.

The present standard Unibody is still a very compelling system, yet it`s days are clearly numbered. The Retina`s limitations will be corrected in time, the standard machines will not, being end of line.

Take sometime out if at all possible and view a Retina first hand, don't be swayed by those have potentially never even seen one, let alone experienced the machine first hand. This I believe is why we see such diametrically opposed views for the Next-Gen MBP only by actually using a Retina for a period of time will you see the full benefit of the new machines; the display, quietness of operation, portability, reduced thermals and performance. If you need a reputable source look no further than http://www.anandtech.com/ They will echo similar sentiment, the Retina MBP is without a doubt the best Apple has produced :apple:

There will undoubtedly be some for whom the Retina is a no show, due to present software limitations, storage requirements, and unfortunately price point. All this will change in time and i rather suspect so will some of the antagonists as used Retina`s hit the market next year with the eventual release of Haswell ;)

As the individual you must filter the content of the internet very carefully, everyone is a "Pro", everyone is an "expert", for the most part they are not, some are well informed, the majority are not. If you need help to make a significant purchase, or qualification on hardware, wait for a recognised source, not the kid with 10 minutes hands on in Best Buy ;)

23. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

I myself am considering a MBP later this year.
    I've compared the Retina and the uMBP in store and though I noticed the difference in the display the Retina didn't bring me to my knees so that I would abandon my original idea - getting the uMBP.
    But it's all an individual matter. I for example love the unibody form. Second of all I'll be using the MBP as a desktop replacement mostly, so I'll appreciate the upgrading options of the unibody - not sure yet if I get the base or high end, so I may have to upgrade RAM, but nevertheless I will upgrade to SSD and put the Superdrive in an external bay. I know that this option makes the Retina more sensible for some, but I'll be using it in clam shell mode mostly, so I don't need the Retina display quality those few times I'll open it.
    The form factor and upgradebility are the most important issues for me. I'll probably get the Retina the next time I'm in a market for a MBP though - when the SSDs get more GBs and cheaper (hopefully the Retina MBPs will also get a bit cheaper). And since there probably won't be the classic uMBP the next time around - it's a minor, but yet another, maybe sentimental reason for me to get the uMBP this year:)

24. stevelam macrumors 65816

for 'normal' users like you, the RMBP is not a good buy at all. its not ready for normal every day usage. the internet largely looks bad on the RMBP because you get the juxtaposition of nicely rendered fonts vs fuzzy/blurry images. if you have an actual need for bleeding edge stuff and am willing to put up with a LOT of shortfalls, it might make sense.

25. dank414 macrumors member

You point out storage, WOW, school work, and travel for what you need. It sounds like most of that can be fulfilled with the low end rMBP. Only bad is the storage, you're gonna need external hd/flash/microsd or cloud storage to meet that challenge.

All I can say is that if it's for lots of travel it's worth it. I lug my rMBP every day. That 1+pound difference makes a difference on the back after 3yrs of use.