Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lets Go

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2017
Upstate NY
Trying to decide if having the LTE connection is worth the extra expense. Between the extra $100 for the watch and the apprx. $14 a month (ATT with extra taxes and additional profit included) not sure it is worth it. If I keep the watch for 3 years it will be about $600 additional over the GPS only model.

For those that have tried the LTE connection is it worth the extra expense??

sirenized

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
Trying to decide if having the LTE connection is worth the extra expense. Between the extra $100 for the watch and the apprx. $14 a month (ATT with extra taxes and additional profit included) not sure it is worth it. If I keep the watch for 3 years it will be about $600 additional over the GPS only model.

T Mobile gives you three months free. after the three months I decided to keep it. but you can turn it off and on as well

Lets Go

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2017
Upstate NY
T Mobile gives you three months free. after the three months I decided to keep it. but you can turn it off and on as well

Unfortunately I only get a signal from ATT at my home. Otherwise I would look elsewhere.

Also if i decided to cancel after 3 months I won't get back the extra $100 premium I paid to get the LTE model.

potaco

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
From the opposite viewpoint, I've only owned non-LTE models and never felt like I was missing out. The watch feels like more of an extension of your phone than a truly standalone device, so unless you are expecting to be without your phone for extended periods of time, I would save the money.

Reactions: haruhiko

Lets Go

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2017
Upstate NY
From the opposite viewpoint, I've only owned non-LTE models and never felt like I was missing out. The watch feels like more of an extension of your phone than a truly standalone device, so unless you are expecting to be without your phone for extended periods of time, I would save the money.

I am starting to think that as well. If the monthly was around $5 total then it would make sense. But it is around $14 a month.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I wanted the black stainless as always and Apple made the LTE choice for me.

I tried it for a month but the signal kept dropping, even with full bars on my X. The antenna must be tiny. Anyway cancelled after 30 days.

a.y.n

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
San Francisco
As mentioned it's 10 extra with T-Mobile, $4 extra for fees and taxes suck. T-Mobile actually would give you a femtocell for free to use at home if you don't have good reception.

Back to your original question, I actually use the LTE on my watch a lot, I walk my dog without my phone, and stream music and radio. Been using the new Overcast watch app to listen to podcast, which makes my watch even more useful. Technically you don't need LTE to listen to podcasts with the default and third party apps, but LTE obviously allows you to stay connected without having your phone on you.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
I would say it depends on your lifestyle. I have a LTE and so far, I find it useful for the following:
1) I am always taking the dog out (i live in an apartment complex) I always leave my phone inside.. not intentilnally, I just do. This helps if anything were to ever happen and I can also get calls.
2) I snowboard - constantly and my phone is always dying in my backpack. Having something thats connected to cellular and stays warm under my glove is very helpful, espically if I get stranded somewhere or hurt in the woods.. you never know
3) Ability to go to the gym without your phone (I have never understood this.. I usually bring my phone with me, but on days where I forget it... again, the gym is at my complex, its nice to still be connected)

Overall I think it's more of a luxury then a necessity; but if you're an outdoors person or find yourself leaving your phone behind once and a while - it's great.

Lets Go

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2017
Upstate NY
As mentioned it's 10 extra with T-Mobile, $4 extra for fees and taxes suck. T-Mobile actually would give you a femtocell for free to use at home if you don't have good reception.

Back to your original question, I actually use the LTE on my watch a lot, I walk my dog without my phone, and stream music and radio. Been using the new Overcast watch app to listen to podcast, which makes my watch even more useful. Technically you don't need LTE to listen to podcasts with the default and third party apps, but LTE obviously allows you to stay connected without having your phone on you.

A bit of topic, but it's my thread so..... :) Can you stream iheart radio or anything besides Apple music using the watch alone?

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015

I got the cellular series 3 and after going through hell to get the cellular stuff working on T-Mobile (early adopter’s tax), I ultimately decided it was not worth it and cancelled the cell service shortly after the 3 month free trial period. I always have my phone with me.

I have a series 4 (gps) on its way now. I am assuming that my series 3 has a higher resale value because it is cellular (Apple is offering me $225 I think: I’d be curious to know the trade in value of a series 3 gps).

a.y.n

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
San Francisco
A bit of topic, but it's my thread so..... :) Can you stream iheart radio or anything besides Apple music using the watch alone?

I've only used Apple Music, in fact the AW3 made me switch my main music service to AM (kept a single Spotify subscription for Sonos One/Alexa). I haven't looked into the details, but my impression was that Apple hasn’t released a good way to do audio streaming yet, so my guess is no, for the best experience you probably should subscribe to AM.

msama

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2017
I had the same question and came across a review that likened it to having a weekend car. If you have extra money for a luxury that will come in handy a few times, go for it. If not, you'll probably never miss it.

The reviewer went for dinner with only the watch and liked not being distracted from her phone, but reasoned she could have easily had the same experience by putting her phone on do not disturb and keeping it in her purse.

There were a few others examples that were similar. One interesting thing was that emails didn't go straight to the watch, they went to the phone then got pushed from there. Perhaps someone could explain that a little more, if the phone has to be in range or if there's just a delay. I'm not sure.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I mentioned before, I still think Apple and the carriers really need to devise a better plan for the LTE, more stability for pricing and flexibility for the consumer to want to spend extra money on an already likely expensive carrier monthly bill. Because I think many are trying the actual trial for 90 days that was offered, and then dropping it because either they didn’t use it enough or they just didn’t find it beneficial.

Reactions: Lets Go and Alhagar

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I mentioned before, I still think Apple and the carriers really need to devise a better plan for the LTE, more stability for pricing and flexibility for the consumer to want to spend extra money on an already likely expensive carrier monthly bill. Because I think many are trying the actual trial for 90 days that was offered, and then dropping it because either they didn’t use it enough or they just didn’t find it beneficial.

I am afraid the carriers will milk it as much as they dare. I do not think it should cost extra at all but that is not how the carriers feel. If there is a way to make money they are right there to take it from your.

michaelb5000

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
Since this hasn't been mentioned yet: how much is the ability to call 911 in an emergency worth to you? You can call 911 on the watch without paying for the monthly plan, so that option for emergency cell service at all times is $100. If there is a 1 in a 1000 chance you need that, then of course it is worth it; even if there is a 1 in 10,000 chance you need, it is probably still worth it. In the old days of cell phones, many users bought cell phones and paid for monthly service just for that one feature. While I usually carry my phone, I don't always, and having LTE on the watch reduces or eliminates the need to carry the phone just for emergencies.

I am too cheap to pay $10 a month for a plan; would probably pay less, maybe $5, probably $3. But I would still probably buy the LTE version.

Reactions: YaBoiD

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

Only you can answer that question since it depends greatly on your lifestyle and habits.

For me it's worth it. Mostly. I think the monthly charge from AT&T is stupid ridiculous, but I grudgingly pay it due the value I get from having the ability.

I do a lot of activities where it's simply easier / more convenient to not carry my phone with me. Walking down to the lake and paddling around in a kayak or on a paddleboard. Doing various handyman stuff around the house or doing yardwork outside. Going for a run or a bicycle ride. Taking the dogs out for a walk.

With the LTE watch my wife or kids can get ahold of me if they're in need -- or to let me know they're running late or something. I can use Siri to set a new reminder when I think of something I need to do later or something to add to a to-do list. I can let me wife know if I'm going to be late getting back from a run or a ride or whatever. I can bring up a map and directions back to my hotel if I get turned around while out for a run in an unfamiliar city on a business trip. Not to mention I can get help if there's an emergency or I'm injured.

That stuff may not be worth the cost to you, but it is to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: YaBoiD

msama

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2017
Since this hasn't been mentioned yet: how much is the ability to call 911 in an emergency worth to you? You can call 911 on the watch without paying for the monthly plan, so that option for emergency cell service at all times is $100. If there is a 1 in a 1000 chance you need that, then of course it is worth it; even if there is a 1 in 10,000 chance you need, it is probably still worth it. In the old days of cell phones, many users bought cell phones and paid for monthly service just for that one feature. While I usually carry my phone, I don't always, and having LTE on the watch reduces or eliminates the need to carry the phone just for emergencies.

I am too cheap to pay $10 a month for a plan; would probably pay less, maybe $5, probably $3. But I would still probably buy the LTE version.

Same boat. I did read that there's a significant delay in it dialing out if there's not a paid service attached. An issue a blogger found and Apple is working to address.

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
It is useful for days when I forget my phone, which is a lot unfortunately. Don’t be fooled though, at least on the series 3, the LTE connection is so-so at best. Hopefully the 4 fixes that. I’ll tell you in a few days.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Quick question about the fall detection and dealing of emergency services automatically. does this still work on the GPS only model if your iPhone is nearby? Chances are if someone has a fall, their phone may be in the vicinity

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
I got the 4 with Cellular. Main reason is potential convenience. I'll probably activate the cellular function a month or three at a time. Figure over the summer months when being out on a boat or jet ski I won't have to have my phone with me. Water and amusement parks are another great place not to have to worry about having a phone, just a watch. Then winter sports, maybe the month there.

It can provide you a freedom you haven't had before. I'm not technically on-call as a primary for work, but am as backup to my areas of responsibility. Unless I'm really on vacation, I can be called about an emergent issue at any time. So I am expected to be somewhat available. If you don't have that concern, or have people in your life that depend on your availability (older parents, kids, etc) you may not find the cost something important to absorb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.