Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
I'd go with glossy because the antiglare/matte sometimes looks like you are viewing the screen through a dryer sheet. :D

This is EXACTLY how i feel about it too. Don't get me wrong, the glossy displays certainly have their downsides, but it feels like i'm looking through some sort of fuzz on the matte displays.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Anandtech review.

Conclusions:

1. The new Unibody MacBooks are far glossier than the plastic white MacBooks. It's OK indoors, but the unibody MB's matte screen a total mess outdoors.

The old MB's screen was far less glossy.
MB-oldvsnew.jpg

2. When comparing only the previous generation MBP's glossy and matte screens, the matte screen is clearly superior. Remember that these displays have the same brightness and LCD panel models, so the difference is strictly due to the matte and glossy finishes.

MBP-mattevsglossy.jpg

3. The new unibody MBPs are much glossier than old glossy MBP, so imagine the unibody MBPs outdoors! It would be even worse! However, it's brighter, so the difference may not be as great.

Here's a photo of 2 glossy MBPs.

MBP-oldvsnew.jpg

A matte screen beside a glossy.
mattevsglossy2.jpg

4. If you're in the shade, the glossy screen may be usable.

5. New unibody MB's screen viewing angles are better than previous white MB's screen.

6. When indoors, the reviewer PREFERS the glossy screen of the new unibody MBPs.

Those older macbook pro's in your photos (both matte and glossy) looks like it has the ccfl backlighting and no led.

This is the reason why the newer unibody mbp's glossy looks more vivid as to the older mbp's glossy screen because of the LED backlighting.

I still prefer the LED backlighting from the previous gen macbook pro's matte screen under the sunlight, still very vivid and easy to see. I know I tested both led backlit glossy and matte under direct sunlight and I live in Houston Texas where its sunny as hell around 102 degrees during the mid afternoon in the summer.

UTclassof89

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I'm thinking of buying some ice cream at the store later. Should I get chocolate or vanilla?

3D-Troll

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2007
Ann Arbor, MI
I'm currently working on a matte screen. At work they have four 17" on order, two glossy and two matte. Once they come in I will compare them side by side and then make a decision on which one to pick for myself next. A couple of month I would have picked matte without thinking twice. But after using the iPod touch and seeing a glossy unibody MBP in action at work I just might change your mind. The office has no windows, so sun is not a problem. While I have seen reflections on the 15" unibody MBP, they seemed less distracting than what I would have expected.

Steffen

DMC-12

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Nashville, TN
There is no issue of glossy vs. matte. Matte is infinitely more desirable. Why do you think virtually all LCD displays were matte until the last few years? It's because having an anti-glare coating is a no-brainer, and any extra color "pop" from a glossy coating is an absurd reason to allow extreme sensitivity to glare and fingerprints.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
There is no issue of glossy vs. matte. Matte is infinitely more desirable. Why do you think virtually all LCD displays were matte until the last few years? It's because having an anti-glare coating is a no-brainer, and any extra color "pop" from a glossy coating is an absurd reason to allow extreme sensitivity to glare and fingerprints.

Glossy screens hide fingerprints better than matte screens....

Playing on typical stereotypes without actually doing any research hey? :rolleyes:

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
I'd go glossy if you live in an area with little natural light and you don't turn the lights on in the house or at work.
EDIT * Unless your vain.

Otherwise matte FTW

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
go for matte if you work in the Sahara desert

go for glossy if you want to look cool with your new MBP :cool:

ok lets be serious its completely personal preference, go to a store and compare them

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I'm thinking of buying some ice cream at the store later. Should I get chocolate or vanilla?
HAHAHAHAHA, seriously.

I don't think there's a wrong decision here...it all comes down to preference. I like both, but opted for matte.....err anti glare.

It's the fact that Apple's not offering the option on the 15" or the 13" MB to have the anti glare properties that's annoying.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
HAHAHAHAHA, seriously.

I don't think there's a wrong decision here...it all comes down to preference. I like both, but opted for matte.....err anti glare.

It's the fact that Apple's not offering the option on the 15" or the 13" MB to have the anti glare properties that's annoying.
Yeah exactly, which is why I think they get bashed for it, rightly so imho

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Yeah exactly, which is why I think they get bashed for it, rightly so imho

I'd love them to offer it but they never will, (Schillers Macworld Expo 2009 Keynote speech).

Id love the Macbook Air screen, but 17 inches big and with the 17" High Def resolution.

Mark2000

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007

We could honestly reverse your argument and say that matte screens are being phased out because they are inferior tech. I'm not saying that's correct, I'm just saying your argument is dumb.

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
I'd love them to offer it but they never will, (Schillers Macworld Expo 2009 Keynote speech).

I've seen this mentioned a couple times. I followed the speech as it was happening. I don't see why they wouldn't offer matte on 15" MacBook Pros based on that speech. What suggests that to you?/What did I apparently miss?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.