Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kas_lar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2021
I'm on a Mac mini M1 with Big Sur and working with 2 different Audio programs - reaper and logic. Both programs have the same problem - I can’t delete files within the program. I need to do this to clean out a project with files.

I’ve tried using a a wired network to a Synology NAS and a Qnap nas.

Reaper and logic has full access to the disk in System Preferences and I’ve tried to use another Mac and the problem is the same.

I’ve tried both AFP and SMB.

Do anyone have a suggestion how to fix the problem?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
What happens if you delete the project files outside the program via the finder, if that doesn't mess up program indexes?

Reactions: kas_lar

kas_lar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2021
I will mess up the project indexes. Both Logic and Reaper projects.
I've just tested both a Logic and a Reaper project with a 2013 macbook pro with Mojave 10.14.6.
The problem is still there so it's got nothing to do with Big Sur.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
Have you tried holding down the Option key while attempted to delete files? Or am I not understanding your problem?

kas_lar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2021
Have you tried holding down the Option key while attempted to delete files? Or am I not understanding your problem?
I don't think you understand. I'm working with projects that is stored on a nas. The OSX disk is a local disk and when I try to delete a an file from inside an app (Logic and Reaper) I can't do it. As a song project consists of many individual files I'd have to use the programs to delete files. When the project is stored on a local drive then there isn't any problems. I'd like to use NAS storage instead of local storage.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
Ok, I get it now. You are in the timeline of a session of a project in the application and are trying to delete, for example, bass guitar recording. How are you trying to delete it? And what happens when you try?

kas_lar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2021
Cool :)
Yes exactly! I'm in a timeline and both of the programs deletes the files but, as with all modern programs, they just hide the file and don't delete the file from the session folder. I have to chose to a command like "erase unused files" from there. Reaper tells me that "the files cannot be deleted" and Logic just don't to it. The files is still there on the NAS. The same "erase unused files" command works perfectly with a local harddrive.

kas_lar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2021
It's a good idea but it doesn't solve the problem I have. In fact - it will make some things much worse.

I don't think you understand the problem yet. A music project in Logic and Reaper is made of up a lot of different audiofiles. I need to delete unused files via Logic because Logic keeps track of all used AND the unused media and audiofiles.
There's not any problem with deleting files on the NAS via Finder but that's is not what I'm looking for.
I know that a quick solution is : Don't use network storage but that what I like to do in the future and I just can't understand how it's possible to delete a file on a NAS in Finder, but programs can't delete files from the NAS.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I just can't understand how it's possible to delete a file on a NAS in Finder, but programs can't delete files from the NAS.

1. So you've deleted the files and they go into a recycle bin which has to be erased. Doesn't that mean that it has been deleted from the index at the point it goes into the applications trash folder?

2. You have confirmed that you can delete one of these project files manually via the finder? Just make a copy and delete it. You can always then just replace it. Think you've said that, but want to confirm.

3. If there is no problem with deletions via the finder I would contact the vendors. It's their software, and if they have good support they should help you figure out the problem.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Do you use File > Project Management > Clean Up and check the things you want to get rid of in Logic? Delete Unused Files in the project cleanup window does remove the files from the project folder and places them in the Trash.

When you use the Browser (F), go to the "Project" tab, click "Select unused" (Shift+U) from the "Edit" drop down menu, the files will not be removed from the project folder on the NAS (or anywhere).

kas_lar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2021
1. So you've deleted the files and they go into a recycle bin which has to be erased. Doesn't that mean that it has been deleted from the index at the point it goes into the applications trash folder?

2. You have confirmed that you can delete one of these project files manually via the finder? Just make a copy and delete it. You can always then just replace it. Think you've said that, but want to confirm.

3. If there is no problem with deletions via the finder I would contact the vendors. It's their software, and if they have good support they should help you figure out the problem.
Hi HDfan:)
1. Yes - normally the deleted files goes into a recycle bin but somethings wrong when using NAS storage.
2. Yes - I can delete via finder. It's confirmed in the video
3. Good idea - but then again - Apple isn't going to reply to but I'll try to contact both vendors.

See this short video I've made. It's just funny that both programs can't delete within their on programs

Thank you for your ideas:)

kas_lar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2021
Do you use File > Project Management > Clean Up and check the things you want to get rid of in Logic? Delete Unused Files in the project cleanup window does remove the files from the project folder and places them in the Trash.

When you use the Browser (F), go to the "Project" tab, click "Select unused" (Shift+U) from the "Edit" drop down menu, the files will not be removed from the project folder on the NAS (or anywhere).
Yes I did use the cleanup but somehow Logic can't delete the files and put them info the network trash folder.
Take a look at this video I've just recorded:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.