Can't downgrade to 7.0.4 from 7.1 beta 1 on iPhone 5s

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by dbasinge, Nov 25, 2013.

1. dbasinge macrumors newbie

I can't seem to downgrade to iOS 7.0.4 on my iPhone 5s and I can not there is a not a .dmg got it developer.apple.com. Is this downgrade possible?

Thanks

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You "should" (I haven't tried this) be able to put the phone in DFU mode then just hit Restore in iTunes.

3. joec1101 macrumors 6502

Yes, you need to put it into DFU mode and then you can downgrade. I've had to do this on my 5S and iPadAir and it worked fine.

4. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

I have done this. It works. You can also load older IOS versions with other tricks even though people here say it's not possible.......hint, hint.;)

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

It's not possible. Once Apple stops signing a firmware, you cannot downgrade to it, period.

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

True, so I'm not sure what the poster you quoted is talking about. But. for the OP, it will work since Apple is still signing 7.0.4 :cool:

7. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

LOL you guys crack me up. Just google it, I'm not going to get banned posting hacks in this forum. If you really think that apple can magically control loading older versions then just keep believing that.:eek:

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You cannot load 6.1 on an iPhone 5, currently. There is no way. Even if you get access to the 6.1 ipsw, it will not load.

You can, however, get the ipsw for 7.0.4 and restore to that, since it is still being signed by Apple.

And I guarantee you can provide no proof of what you're saying, if what you're saying is that an iPhone 4S, 5, or 5s can be downgraded to a firmware version lower than 7.0.4.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's not magic, it's actual factual control that Apple has implemented and uses--they sign their versions, and a check happens when you want to install one (you can't install one without it checking with Apple's servers), and if the check doesn't come back as that version being signed, then you can't install it. There's nothing to guess or attribute to magic there--it's how it's designed to work and how it's documented and proven by many people who have attempted to get around it. If you think you know some "secret" you might want to have some actual proof of it rather than just talk about it, because talk is cheap in the face of facts. Aside from some much older hardware that allows for some flaws to be exploited to bypass something like that, nothing can really be done about it (at least not so far).

10. cammyg123 macrumors regular

cammyg123

He is correct.

The person above is correct. You can load previous versions of iOS software into these devices.

It "almost" the same concept as jail breaking, but instead of loading jail broken software, it will load the version of iOS you have chosen.

11. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Hey! Now look at that......:D Other people here just can't believe anything thats not in their apple manual.....:roll eyes: LOL.

12. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

On a 4S+ or iPad 2+? Without SHSH blobs? Otherwise, this has no merit to the thread as the OP does not have an A4 device.

13. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

As I said, neither of you can provide proof. You're welcome to try - if you can prove it, I'm sure we'll give you credit. But until you do, it is impossible.

The iPhone 4 can be downgraded if you have SHSH blobs saved, but you cannot downgrade an iPhone 4S, 5, or 5c/5s.

The iPhone 4 being downgraded isn't in the "Apple manual" either, but hey, look, it's possible! Obviously we're not just sticking to our Apple manual. But I see you didn't post proof, figures.

14. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Have you personally tried this method of downgrading?

15. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

The OP has a 5S. There is no "Previous Version" iOS 6 doesn't exist for the 5S. This whole subtopic is moot.

16. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Not really - the OP wants to use 7.0.4, which is still signed by Apple and is wholly possible.

If there was a method of downgrading a 5s, there are firmwares you could downgrade to (7.0.4-7.0). Of course, you're right in that there's no iOS 6 for the 5s, so there would be no firmware to even attempt to downgrade to. Downgrading to lower than the currently signed version of iOS is not possible on the 4S and above, so yeah, this whole other thing is moot, you're right. Just the OPs original objective is possible.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Hey, look at that, no proof provided of anything whatsoever. Lack of proof is simply proof of the contrary, so thanks for proving that what you said was in fact incorrect.

18. cammyg123 macrumors regular

cammyg123

Here's proof

Proof is - I know people who've done it and seen it.

19. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

Again...on a non A4 device? Without SHSH blobs? Saying you've seen it certainly isn't proof enough for anyone.

20. cammyg123 macrumors regular

cammyg123

I am wrong on 1 piece.

You're right about the fact that you can't do this on an iPhone 5S.

But, you can certainly do this on previous iDevices.

To answer the OP, you can certainly restore on your 5S to 7.0.4 through iTunes on your desktop/laptop if anything else isn't working. :D

----------

I was incorrect - it was on an iPhone 4 which does support this.

But thanks to you all for giving me this info and correcting me!

But in a sense we are all right - It is possible to do this - just not on certain devices.

21. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

As we've been saying - it is perfectly possible on the iPhone 4. It is impossible on the 4S and on.

And yes, the OP can restore to 7.0.4 as it is still the most recent public release and is being signed by Apple.

22. cammyg123 macrumors regular

cammyg123

Thanks guys :D

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

So not proof of anything since even that was incorrect. At least we got that in the clear. Plus the original person who posted those replies hasn't seemed to provide anything to proof anything, and appears to be unwilling to do that, likely for obvious reasons.

24. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

the way i downgraded was just downloading the firmware online and then just forced the restore to let me choose what file i wanted

25. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

Download correct 7.0,4 ipsw to desktop. connect iphone to computer via itunes. Hold Shift/Alt and click Restore. point to the ipsw on desktop and select that.