Can't Download Mavericks due to wrong ID?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Supp0rtLinux, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Supp0rtLinux macrumors member

So I "got a copy" of the first GM of Mavericks about 2 weeks ago. Note: I do not have a developer account. The copy I got was on a popular torrent site. If I follow the links to download the official release (I had planned to install the final version over the GM... no moreso with a second GM release), I get prompted to open in the Mac App Store. From there I click on Download and it says:

"OS X v10.9 is already installed on this computer. Use the Updates page to install the 10.9 update or if you would like to download the full OS X installer click Continue."

If I click Continue, it pauses for about 3 seconds and then I'm prompted to sign in the App Store. The problem is the Apple ID is pre-populated with iluhin83@gmail.com and its greyed out. I cannot change it. If I type in a bogus password it says the account is disabled for security reasons and the option to reset the account, but again the ID is greyed out.

If I choose the option to install the update, it shows 2 updates available (one is for the Java update from a few days ago; presumably the other is for OS X 10.9). However it only shows the "2" over the Updates button... the updates field itself is greyed out.

So I can guess what happened... someone with a developer ID got the GM and torrented it and then got their account cancelled. I get it. But how do I get around this? I've tried all manner of ALT/OPT clicking, etc. Is there a plist file somewhere with the userid so I can delete it or insert my own? I've done this with GM's before and never had issues with Apple tracking or retain the account that was used to provide the GM. Heck... I've done this successfully with IOS GM's too. Anyone know any work-around's so I can successfully re-download the true 10.9 release under my own ID?

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Same idea here got mine torrented and went for the download instead of upgrade, my AppleID was in the greyed out area as when I installed it asked me if I would like to sign into my account using it during the final part of the setup. Did you do that step? If not then a new install doing that step should work like it did for me. Alternatively if you have a second operating system installed in the machine 10.6.8 or later then you can do the upgrade/donwload from that OS with presumably your normal ID intact.

Edit: Should add I imported my setup from a TM backup as part of the install that could have carried over my ID as well.

3. Supp0rtLinux thread starter macrumors member

I don't recall any options about signing into my account during the installation of the GM... only afterwards when I signed into iCloud and all appeared to work just fine. I did an upgrade with the GM, not a full install. I guess getting onto a different Mac and downloading it would work... I was just hoping for a "fix" of deleting or editing a plist file or something similar so it wouldn't see the other Apple ID from the guy that provided the torrent...

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Another thought now you mention/I see it a sudo grep -R iluhin83@gmail.com / in Terminal may be worth a try to see if you can find such a file containing it.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

Delete your pirated installer and then relaunch the App Store.

6. Supp0rtLinux thread starter macrumors member

Tried that... didn't work. FWIW: I did that back with 10.7 or 10.8... had the GM downloaded already so it wouldn't let me re-download. Had to delete it, then it worked. That doesn't seem to be working with 10.9. I moved the installer to a diff folder, rebooted, still didn't work. Deleted it, emptied trash, rebooted, no go. No matter what I do, the user id of the person that had the developer account and provided the torrent is still stored and greyed out... :(

7. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Interesting. I installed the first GM, not one from a torrent, though. Today's release didn't show up in Updates, but if I searched for "Mavericks" in the search bar, it shows up. I'm currently downloading it, but I can't see the percentage of the download or speed of the download or time remaining.

8. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Doing that to me as well in the App Store however in my Dock I have my Application folder there it has progress bar showing, I'm little over 50% ATM.

9. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Oh, nice! I see the OS X Mavericks icon in my applications folder (also have it on the dock), but it isn't showing a progress bar.

10. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Hmm never looked into the folder until now and it is there greyed out showing an X with the same progress bar I see in the Dock. I am doing this in Mavericks an earlier version may not show it.

11. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

I installed the second GM this morning before the event and had no problems hitting the download button and getting Mavericks to show up in my purchases history now. So perhaps people having trouble just need to update to the latest GM first?

12. Supp0rtLinux thread starter macrumors member

Now there's a thought... but the question is: would it be easier to get another Mac and download it from my own iTunes account there to try GM #2 and then downloading it from the App Store like you did. I guess it would help to know where you got your second GM from. Did you get a torrent like I did? Or a legit download from Apple?

13. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

If you're being prompted to sign in to that Apple ID from the App store, it's because it thinks you're logged in as such. Click on "Store" in the App store menu bar, sign out, sign in with your own Apple ID, then try. Does it work?

14. Supp0rtLinux thread starter macrumors member

That doesn't work. It showed it was logged in as *MY* AppStore/iTunes account. I logged out and searched for Mavericks, then clicked on Download. I still have the issue where the email address of the person that provided the torrent is in there, but greyed out. So I manually signed in... with *MY* AppStore account and repeated. Same results. No matter what I do, I cannot download the final version of Mavericks as it prompts for a user/pass, but the user name is some user@gmail.com and its greyed out with no option to change IDs.

I guess I may just need to use my wife's Mac when she gets home... log in there and download it, then xfer it over. In the meantime, I'm using the earlier suggestion of the "find" in terminal to see if I can match a file against the email address its looking for.

15. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

It probably would be easier to just use another Mac, but absent that possibility, I guess one could always try what I did. I did get it from a torrent, but I think the forum rules prohibit me mentioning which torrent site/seed specifically. So since I don't want mods to my kick as's for mentioning a torrent site, I won't mention which one. ;)

16. Supp0rtLinux thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I've been careful to mention only that I obtained a torrent of it, not how or where I got the torrent. Admitting to piracy is one thing. Telling others how to is another story.

My wife's Mac is still on 10.8 so I'll just use her's to download it and update both of our's. Of course, if this "id" issue causes me to be unable to upgrade mine, then I guess I'll be wiping and restoring and updating this thread. Still hoping there's a plist or other file out there with the userid... something not hashed or encrypted and that I can get an easier work around.

17. Supp0rtLinux thread starter macrumors member

And to clarify... I don't condone piracy. I obtained the GM to test out some Mavericks features. I wholly intended to upgrade (via the App Store including paying money to do so) for the final version. I was as shocked as anyone when they made it available for free. I expected iWork to go free after they did so with new IOS devices, but fully expected to pay $20-$30 for Mavericks. But just to be clear, I don't condone piracy and was just testing out features.

18. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Do you still have a copy of the Install Mavericks app on your computer somewhere? Only other explanation for that Apple ID showing. If you do, delete it THEN try.

19. Pardeep Kumar macrumors newbie

Delete your Mavericks in the Application and then close the Appstore and restart. It should give you the upgrade option

20. Hansford macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem here. I deleted the installer and tried again but same results.

I'm downloading the 2nd GM and updating to check if it solves the problem...

The only thing I think that could work besides this is going back to a mountain lion clean install and then updating from the Mac app store, but that is a total bummer and I hope we can work something out without having to downgrade.

21. Supp0rtLinux thread starter macrumors member

There's no Mavericks in Applications to delete. I downloaded "install_osx_mavericks.app.dmg" as a torrent. Once I mounted the DMG, I dragged the installer to my desktop and installed it. I have deleted both the extracted installer and the original download. The problem remains and from at least one commenter on this thread, it seems I'm not the only one.

----------

I'm going a different route. I'm going to pull down the final release the same way I got the GM and see where I get. Let me know where you get with trying the 2nd GM and I'll let you know how I fare on my end...

22. romerom macrumors newbie

I had the same problem..

I corrected it by removing the "Install OSX Mavericks" image I grabbed off torrents and emptying my trash.

problem solved! f'n iluhin83@gmail.com

23. Supp0rtLinux thread starter macrumors member

Good to know. I had deleted all the copies I had, but hadn't emptied my trash (I was sort of unwilling to in case I need to re-install the GM for some reason... guess I could have always moved it to a USB stick.

So FWIW... here's what finally worked for me: I tried pulling down the *official* release from yesterday from the same place that I got the GM previously. Got it downloaded, but nothing I did would allow it to install. But I found a work-around... first I moved "Install OS X Mavericks" to a temp folder, then Show Package Contents and drilled down into SharedSupport and mounted InstallESD.dmg (this one rang a bell in my head from previous tools for making a USB installer with past OS X releases). I mounted it and went into Packages and ran "OSUpgrade.pkg". It exited quickly, but it did serve to "reset" the ID for the account.

Next I went to the AppStore and tried to click on Download. This time it prompted for my correct username. So problem #1 solved. I was able to log in with my user/pass, but then got a "1004" error, so it still wouldn't download. So the good news was the account ID issue was resolved, but now I still couldn't download it. But googling for "Mavericks 1004" brought me to this other forum thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1658294&page=2

In a nutshell, it says:

So I followed these steps exactly and chose "Free Install", but unlike what it shows above, it still wasn't in my purchase history. Only Lion and Mountain Lion were in my purchase history. However, after clicking on Free Install and then on Download, it successfully changed to Downloading and I have the icon with a progress bar in my dock.

As of right now... its fully downloaded and the installer popped up as it should... I'm going to close all my other apps and run through the installer. If I hit any issues, I'll update this post again. If not, assume the above resolved things for me...

24. Supp0rtLinux thread starter macrumors member

Well, all turned out fine. I followed the steps above to get the account issue resolved and then to re-download it. I followed the instructions on Lifehacker for making a bootable version on USB (just in case) and then proceeded to re-install. I'm now on the same build number as the second GM which is where it should be. Also, all my apps and updates are available in the app store w/o issue...

----------

Oh yeah, and Mavericks shows up in Purchases in the App Store as an available download. :)

25. frannyc28 macrumors newbie

I did it!

Just make sure that NO COPY of the GM posted on the torrent is present on your computer. When I installed mine just to test if I really wanted to buy it later on, I partitioned my disk and installed into that partition. Deleted the partition after testing, thinking that will be it. NOTHING. Same Problem. Same Email account showing up.
    I later found out I had a copy of the GM on an external drive. Deleted from the external drive and emptied the trash.
    Opened Mac Store and VOILA! Instead of showing the DOWNLOAD this time was showing FREE UPDATE. Pressed... Downloading now. SLOOOOOOOW as hell even having a 50MB/S download stream but... Downloading..

Hope it helps. Search for ANY COPY you still have on ANY PLACE or HD on your computer.