Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qwerty546

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2007
im trying to download windows media for mac and it says i have to pick an application to open it. what application should i be using?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
You want to use Flip4Mac for Quicktime for Windows Media, also Perian is well worth a download.

It is probably also worth getting VLC as well.

(Google them and the first link should be relevant).

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
The Microsoft version of Windows Media Player for Mac gave way to Flip4Mac a while back. Flip4Mac is the "official" WMV player for OS X now.

qwerty546

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2007
ok but why isnt flip4mac on apples website instead of the windows media player for mac which apparently doesnt work?

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
ok but why isnt flip4mac on apples website instead of the windows media player for mac which apparently doesnt work?

Just hasn't been updated in a long time, I suppose? Who knows. I would say it's an oversight, however. If there's a place to report that sort of thing, I recommend you do that.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois

Who knows. Just forget about Windows Media Player. It is really old, PowerPC-only, and evil.

Download Flip4Mac and Perian.

qwerty546

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2007
ok is there anyone that has downloaded windows media for mac that can tell me what i am doing wrong or is it the website's problem?

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
ok is there anyone that has downloaded windows media for mac that can tell me what i am doing wrong or is it the website's problem?

Are you still trying to download that .bin file? Use Flip4Mac. It's a .dmg that'll open no problem.

Microsoft is no longer directly supporting WMP for Mac. If you go directly to Microsoft and look for windows media player, it links to Flip4Mac.

qwerty546

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2007
ok i understand that i have to use flip for mac but why is there an option on windows website for wmp for mac os x, and apple's website?

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
ok i understand that i have to use flip for mac but why is there an option on windows website for wmp for mac os x, and apple's website?

Because in the olden days there was a Windows Media Player for Mac. Those days are long gone. So go get Flip4Mac.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN

Legacy? Just haven't cleaned it up yet? Could be a million reasons - just download Flip4Mac, enjoy your WMV files, and don't worry about it :)

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004

<deep breath ... ok, relax>
That's WMP 9. Microsoft stopped development of WMP for the Mac after version 9.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
And for everyone's reference, the final update of Windows Media Player: Mac (version 9) was released on November 28, 2003. Yes, it's that old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.