Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Th00mz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
Hi all,

for a while I've been using my Macbook Pro 15" mid 2015. Running macOS High Sierra 10.13.5

With Sierra I also had the problem, and I just can't fix it. I can't eject external drives. The button is clickable but it just doesn't do anything. Dragging the drive to my trashcan also does nothing. I have to completly shutdown my mac to remove a drive, but I need to do that a lot for my work. It's also an enterprise macbook from my old job. They told me I can keep it, but the downsize is that it is 'locked'. I can't completly wipe my harddrive. There is a firmware password, en there is no way for me to get that password. Please someone help me. :( Clearing the PRAM is also not an option. Can't, gives me a lock.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
What I don't understand is that since the MBP was given to you by your former employer, why did they give it to you locked with a firmware password? The only way to clear that password is to obtain from your former employer a bill of sale or receipt for the MBP proving that it's legally yours. You can then take it to Apple and they will remove the firmware password. Otherwise, you'll just have to live with it as is.

Th00mz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
What I don't understand is that since the MBP was given to you by your former employer, why did they give it to you locked with a firmware password? The only way to clear that password is to obtain from your former employer a bill of sale or receipt for the MBP proving that it's legally yours. You can then take it to Apple and they will remove the firmware password. Otherwise, you'll just have to live with it as is.

Trust me, I know. It just never was an issue.. until now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.