Can't find a single good iPad PDF reader

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by JamesHBS, Jun 2, 2010.

1. JamesHBS macrumors newbie

I’ve been using the popular GoodReader for the past two months. Though GoodReader is a nice PDF reader for the iPad, but the UI is far from a great user experience. It seems ReaddleDocs looks much butter. Does anyone have feedback about ReaddleDocs app?

2. Readdlemate Suspended

Readdlemate

Well,with ReaddleDocs not only are you getting the great PDF reader, but also nicely featured application for file management, e-mail attachment saving, clouds upload and so on.

We also put a lot of efforts on creating intuitive and User-friendly UI.

3. felt. macrumors 6502a

After having gone through all of them I prefer readdledocs, I found it to be smoother than the others. I did find however that some pages render oddly, like the new ilounge iPad guide, some of ads had a green tint to the page (the actual articles were fine) as if select all had been used, this behavior was not present in good reader. Also I miss the feature from good reader where you can dim the page

4. caubeck macrumors 6502

After installing Readdle I deleted all the crappy "Pro" and ""Fast" and "Quick" readers with a sigh of relief.

5. Rengoku macrumors newbie

Having tried a couple pdf apps out there, such as Good Reader, Readdledocs, PDF reader Pro, etc. I've found I still go back to Fast PDF. Even though Fast PDF doesn't have as many features as the other apps I've mentioned, it has hands down the fastest page rendering and smoothest page transitions. If you want performance, this is the app to get.

6. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Goodreader basically sucks IMO, besides having no annotation abilities it was by far the slowest to render pages. I love iAnnotate, and I'm looking at 300+ mb PDF files with lots of pictures. It's still a bit slow to render pages though, but I think that's more a function of the ipad itself trying to open a huge file.

7. shoelessone macrumors 6502

Do any of these apps mentioned support full screen landscape viewing AND bluetooth keyboard support?

I have a friend who wants to use an iPad for a presentation, but wants to be able to use the keyboard to transition between slides.

PDF Reader Pro doesn't seem to support this. I was hoping something else out there might..

8. Rengoku macrumors newbie

Not sure about bluetooth keyboard support, but also, I don't think any of the pdf apps support video output to a projector. If I remember correctly, so far the only apps that support that are Netflix and Keynote.

9. JamesHBS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for all your feedbacks. The competitors are: ReaddleDocs, iAnnotate and Fast PDF.

Obviously if ReaddleDocs had annotation and highlight abilities it would exceed iAnnotate application. Does Fast PDF only render PDF files?

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I have readdleDocs for the pdf reader alone and I love it.

11. Anmar macrumors newbie

Anmar

I've tried several apps, like GoodReader and PDF Reader and can say that ReaddleDocs is the better choice for me. I use Dropbox everyday and with ReaddleDocs I can easily download and upload my files. And it is very handy to open files from ReaddleDocs in Pages. For me such option is very important.

12. JamesHBS thread starter macrumors newbie

Are there any specific requirements for opening Pages within ReaddleDocs app?

13. Anmar macrumors newbie

Anmar

No specific requirements. Just launch ReaddleDocs, open folder that contains the document, tap "Edit" button (button with pencil), tap "i" icon near file name and choose "Open in other App" option from the list. That's all:)

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

When you say you cannot find a good reader do you mean you've tried many of just GoodReader? Try AirShare HD.

15. Readdlemate Suspended

Readdlemate

Good point!
    ReaddleDocs with highlight feature have been submitted to the AppStore, so it should be approved by Apple in a few days.

Our team is working on the annotation feature right now and we hope to see it in the nearest future.

Stay in touch and we will announce these good news. (follow us on twitter to get the latest news).

16. JamesHBS thread starter macrumors newbie

@jessica., thanks for the advise, I'll definitely have a look at AirSharing HD

@Readdlemate, that would be perfect.

@Anmar, thanks for the tips about Pages

17. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I use GoodReader together with iAnnotate. It works great for me.

18. reiichiroh macrumors regular

GoodReader is the best. They're adding facing page view with a free update.

Usually bad or corrupt PDFs are the problem if GR won't read it.

19. Sdevante macrumors 6502

I have some 600+ page language study texts and Fast PDF is the only app that comes remotely close to rendering the pages in any sort of a usable fashion while following along to mp3 lessons.

For smaller more manageable files, however, Readdle > Goodreader.

20. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

I transferred a 700+ page PDF to my iPad through DocsToGo and opened it in iAnnotate. It's a public domain book digitized through Google. The highligher function of iAnnotate doesn't work with it, but the underlining and bookmark functions do.

Sure beats printing the text out and hauling it around.

21. JamesHBS thread starter macrumors newbie

So GoodReader together with iAnnotate or DocsToGo together with iAnnotate are good combinations. And what about one single app that will combine functions of GoodReader and iAnnotate or DocsToGo and iAnnotate for rendering PDF's.

22. jalpert macrumors 6502

All the PDFs I try and run on the iPad are painfully slow. For example:

http://www.pinrepair.com/wpc/wpc-95.pdf

Can anyone tell me a PDF reader that can handle that PDF without going slower than ****?

23. Anmar macrumors newbie

Anmar

I think with annotation feature ReaddleDocs will be the best app! So add this feature and we will forget about GoodReader and iAnnotate!

24. shoelessone macrumors 6502

25. Rengoku macrumors newbie